EMH Mark IV - Don't worry I've got a plan...or I will have

Don K

May 20, 2022, 8:24:26 AM5/20/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Sickbay, Deck Seven, USS Oumuamua))

Once again the EMH IV (https://wiki.starbase118.net/wiki/index.php?title=Narendra_EMH_IV).  Found itself…Herself surveying the main sickbay of the USS Oumuamua.

EMH: Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

Brodie: Major lacerations to the chest, some muscular damage and significant blood loss.

Kel: ::chuckling cough:: At least I've got the best doctor I could ask for.

Kells: And a willing nurse.

The EMH was very flattered that this man thought so, but the happy thought was cut short.  The readings coming out of the biobed were erratic.  Additionally, her program was having a hard time determining what she was looking at.  It had spots therefore Trill.  It had blue skin and antennae therefore Andorian.  She ran a self-diagnostic, all good.  She began walking around the bed with her tricorder

Brodie: There’s something else – he seems…confused…like something isn’t firing right? It might be the shock, maybe damage but look – his cardiac rhythm is all out of sync…but I guess we can’t do anything unless we stop the bleeding.

Kel:  Hey.  Tell Greaves "thanks".

Kells: Tell him yourself. (to Brodie) What do you want to give him?

Brodie: Response

EMH:  What sort of being is this, I'm not finding a match in the medical database?

Kel:  I'm just going to close my eyes here.

EMH:  I think that's a good idea.  ::pulling out hypospray::  I'm going to give you some of this.  It will boost your oxygen levels and help you sleep better.

The hypospray administered, the patient relaxed and drifted off.

Kells: He's definitely unconscious. Where's the bleeding?

Brodie: Response

EMH:  So he's the first of his kind?  That will complicate things.

The EMH worked through the personnel database and found V'Len Kel.  Transporter accident yada yada.

Kells: Dermal regenerator?

EMH:  I’m afraid we're well past that.

Brodie: Response

EMH:  ::indicating the monitor::  These readings are telling me that all the patients AV nodes have "burnt out".  His heart is a car with no accelerator or brake.  In this state his tissues won't get oxygen and he's liable to have a stroke.

Kells/Brodie: Response

EMH:  Normally I would use the gentronic replicator to make a new organ, but the replicator relies on some species data in addition to individual parameters to make the organ.  The patient is too unique to allow the gentronic replicator to work.

Kells/Brodie: Response

EMH:  We need to do this the old fashioned way and replace his cardiac muscle with a cardiac inducer.  An artificial heart if you like.

The EMH walked to a drawer and looked at the available options.

EMH:  This will take a while.  Technically I'm allowed to do this without authorization, but since a command officer is present (beat) Am I authorized to proceed?

Kells/Brodie: Response

EMH:  ::smiles:: I'll get started.

[End Scene for V'Len and EMH]

EMH Mark IV