JP Commodore Kells & Commander Teller: What Grows in Our Garden, Part 1

Tony Colella

Jul 11, 2021, 11:25:48 PM7/11/21
to USS Thor – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

OOC: Before we begin, I want to confirm for everyone that while I’m sure that you want to share in your fellow simmers’ accomplishments, you do not need to repost this whole sim when you reply. It’s long! I get it! You should feel free to excerpt your character’s moments and include only those in your replies if you wish -- but you should also feel free to reply to the whole thing if the mood strikes you.

(( Arboretum, Deck 5, USS Thor ))

After his own deluxe feting in the arboretum, the fleet’s newest commodore continued the use of the magnificent space to celebrate his senior staff past and present. The guests from around the fleet had needed to depart posthaste, but his own senior staff remained, and they were the ones he wanted to honor.

Aron was delighted to recognize his officers under the spreading branches of the magnificent Yggdrasil, and with the sound of the waterfall and brook underscoring his words, he and Geoff stood before those assembled.

Kells: Thank you all for celebrating my promotion. They come a little more slowly when you’ve been around as long as I have, but that doesn’t mean that I appreciate the honor any less. Thank you.

He paused for a moment to acknowledge the applause, though he began to speak before it had tailed off.

Kells: I usually begin with service ribbons and conclude with promotions, but in the spirit of what’s just happened -- Captain Greaves, would you please join us?

Aron glanced over at Geoff, who was more than ready with the ceremonial box full of insignia and ribbons. Aron was given to understand that the wood was actually from Yggdrasil, in a roundabout fashion: The replicator had been programmed to reproduce the exact molecular detail of this one tree, essentially closing it -- but only insofar as it provided a ceremonial box composed of deadwood. This way, they didn’t need to harvest from Yggdrasil directly, but could still celebrate with the Thor’s reigning giant.

Teller: This has been a long time coming, Captain Greaves.

Greaves: Response

Kells: Captain, I consider you not only one of the finest marine officers I’ve ever served with, but one of the finest officers, period. You’re the strong and reliable arm of this ship and crew -- which is reasonable, given that you oversee about half the departments onboard -- and I know that you have the trust both of the newest enlisted personnel in your departments and of the command team, and everyone in between. This promotion is less about increasing your rank, and more about recognizing you at the rank equivalent to the work you’ve already done. Congratulations.

The marine officers’ insignia were different from the Starfleet officer insignia Aron was more used to, but he knew what Geoff offered -- the golden sun of a major, which Aron used to replace the captain’s two bars that Captain Greaves had worn.

Kells: Congratulations, Major Greaves.

Geoff felt the warmth of pride in his chest.  Helping an officer grow and watching them become leaders in their own right was a huge part of why Geoff found his role as XO so satisfying.

Teller: Well done Major.  Your accomplishments reflect very well on this ship and your impact on this crew is immeasurable.  Congratulations, Major.

Greaves: Response

When the applause had again died down, and the new major had retaken his seat, Aron spoke again.

Kells: I’d like the three ensigns on the senior staff to join us now: Ensign Katsim, Ensign Dar, and Ensign Richards.

The three came forward, and Aron spent a moment of joyful reflection on their journeys, and how different they had each been. He was especially mindful of Dar’s following the events of shore leave, but he’d spent enough time with each, and they on the Thor, for him to feel like he knew them inside and out.

That was wrong, he knew. They would each continue to surprise him, in their own ways -- and, in fact, he was counting on it.

Teller:  Ensign Richards...I’m told you're responsible for the current outbreak of holo-addiction among the junior officers?

Katsim / Dar / Richards: Responses

Kells: Ensigns, I’m honored that you’ve completed your first tour of duty and earned your first promotion aboard the Thor. Of course, though, for at least one of you, this isn’t the first time.

He offered Dar a brief smile and a wink.

Kells: You’ve each shown exemplary service to this ship and crew, and to the ideals of Starfleet and the Federation that it represents. Each of you have more than earned your promotions to lieutenant, junior grade, effective with this new pip.

He took the three hollow pips Geoff offered, and between the two of them, they added each to the respective ensigns’ collars.

Kells: Congratulations, Lieutenant Katsim -- Lieutenant Dar -- and Lieutenant Richards.

Geoff beamed, glad to see these young officers recognized.  For some the journey to that pip had been brief, for others it had been long and fraught.  For all it was a moment to remember.

Teller: The three of you bring very different skills and experience to the Thor and we’re enriched by all of them.  Congratulations, Lieutenants.

Katsim / Dar / Richards: Responses

The applause for the new lieutenants was louder than any so far, and rightly so, Aron thought. These were the finest officers the fleet had to offer, and -- somehow! -- he’d ended up with them on his ship.

Kells: Thank you all for celebrating these talented officers, and thank you to everyone for your continued exceptional service.

TBC!

Commodore Aron Kells

Commanding Officer

USS Thor