JP: Lit Jg Alieth & Lt Quen Deena - Spoonful of Sugar, Part 1

Quen Deena

Nov 25, 2020, 6:41:50 AM11/25/20
to USS Thor – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Sickbay, Deck 10, USS Thor))

Deena sat upright for the first time in what felt like forever, withdrawing what had to be the galaxy’s tiniest dermal regenerator from her colleague’s ear canal. She stretched and rubbed the small of her back, where a dull ache was beginning to form.

Quen: That should do it - how’s it feel?

The Vulcan suppressed the urge to rub a couple of fingers against the freshly mended ear. Certainly her colleague had been meticulous and zealous with her work, yet the regenerative pulse had left her with an uncomfortable buzz that had spread all the way to her jaw.

Uncomfortable, certainly, but downright better than the persistent tinnitus that had been with her up to that moment.

Alieth: Far better. :: Expressing gratitude for accomplishing her work was illogical, yet still pertinent on this occasion:: Outstanding job.

It wasn't a 'thank you' but it was the closest thing the Vulcan could offer.

Deena smirked, reaching down slightly to scratch the ear of Alieth’s furry shadow.

Cheesecake wagged her tail energetically at the caress, causing a little metallic clatter at hit the biobed base, delighted.

Quen: Up for a trip through the hangover simulator?

The Vulcan paused the movement of getting off the stretcher, and remained suspended for a moment on the edge until she finally landed on the floor.

Alieth: My experience with hangovers so far has been rather unsavoury, a simulation of it is not particularly tempting. ::Tilting her head gently, not suffering any inconvenience this time.:: Or do you refer to anything else?

Quen: Lieutenant Lovar’s name for the audiovisual scanner… ::chuckles:: I think it’s funny…

The Vulcan blinked a couple of times with a deliberately neutral expression.

Alieth: I see.... one more of his particularities

Quen: You could call it that, yes...

Cheesecake trotted in front of them up to where the appliance was located, catching, somehow, a ball in her path. Of course, it was not one of the terribly forbidden tennis balls but rather something that seemed, remotely, like the representation of a virus, which produced a shrill beep every time the mastiff's jaws closed around it. It was irritating. But at least not hazardous.

Quen: Now, what have you got ahold of? ::she held out a hand, but the dog tossed her head and trotted across the room:: Ah, well…

The Vulcan's scowl furrowed as she watched the hairy, boastful animal move away.

The only feedback she got was in cheerful squeak

Alieth: We are still working on her sharing skills. So far my efforts have been... disappointingly unsuccessful.

Quen: Looks like one of those viral construction demos for the school… ::smirk:: Might have to extend the ban to anything remotely ball-shaped!

Alieth: :sternly: Indeed

At that point and with Cheesecake happily chewing on her toy under a nearby desk, Alieth sat in the designated place, conveniently stiff and with her hands daintily folded in her lap.

Deena fixed the two cortical monitors from the scanner to the Vulcan’s temples.

Quen: Well - you know the routine…

She started the test with a series of low-frequency tones.

Alieth: right, left, left, left, both, right, both…

The same refrain continued for a few minutes, as the frequencies gradually became more high-pitched.

Quen: And one more…

She started the testing again, this time randomly alternating between high and low frequencies.

Alieth: Left, right, right, left, both, left :: She was quiet for a split second before she stated:: Left. (beat), Right, right, left, both…

This time there were more pauses than before, and each time the device delayed longer than usual in emitting the aforementioned tone, the Vulcan's frown gradually increased.

Quen: Good news and bad news… The good news is: you’re performing well within Starfleet parameters, so I can clear you for duty again. Unfortunately, your hearing on the right side isn’t quite what it was before - you’re about on par with a Human in that regard.

Alieth: That is quite inconvenient. There is some way to correct it?

Deena grabbed two padds from the stack on the desk and started typing on the top one.

Quen: Give it some time - you’re probably still buzzing from the regenerator anyway.

Alieth: Hmm. ::It wasn't even a word as such, but it encapsulated all the disappointment a Vulcan could convey. Which in Alieth's case, was no insignificant.::

Meanwhile, Quen scanned her thumb on the corner of the padd, then typed on the other one for a second before handing both to Alieth.

Quen: But cleared you are. So - ::Deena paused as the Vulcan reviewed the padds, hopping up on the nearest biobed for dramatic effect.:: -My turn.

[TBC]

__________

Lieutenant Quen Deena

Medical Officer