LT. JG - Kammus Corelli: All the wrong answers

Jay Young

May 31, 2022, 9:25:40 PM5/31/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
((Ready Room - Deck 1 - Oumuamua))

Corelli: I am not a diplomat, however, it seems that the Federation should project soft power with similarly armed battlecruisers, and eloquent negotiators. It does not seem a mistake that the largest warships available to the newly formed UDP are also used for diplomatic missions to prospective member worlds. The fact that the Dominion probably don't have smaller ships is immaterial...

He shrugged and then gave her a small smile. A joke! Ossa bellowed a laugh -- a rare occurrence indeed.

V'Airu: Funny! (beat, immediately serious) But correct. The Dominion was never about policy, diplomacy, or exploration. The UDP? It remains to be seen. (beat) Sit, please.

Kammus, wide eyed at the sudden laughter smiled again, and took a seat.  On the edge of the chair opposite, he remained stead fast in his posture.

While he did so, Ossa mused again.

V'Airu: The Oumuamua's missions will continue to take us into the Gamma Quadrant. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of the UDP. What would you recommend, to ensure our safety in such encounters?

Kammus wondered why he would be asked such a question, not having received any orders of transfer or other notice of where his next assignment.  However, given the tone of the Commodore’s voice, and the inclusive we she used verbosely, he assumed an invitation.

Corelli: Us Commodore?  I’m sorry for including myself, I have not yet received any reassignment orders, but it could have been overlooked.  To answer the question, let us assume that the potential dangers of the U D P include all of those previously encountered within the greater Dominion forces. Let us also assume that should an unfortunate exchange of hostilities occur, the UDP would utilize those same seen forces, not to mentioned those yet encountered.  I recommend finding a way to strengthen the shields beyond the current level of technology.  The Oumuamua’s heavy armor will do no good if the enemy is already inside.

V'Airu: I see. How can I support you? What do you need?

Kammus relaxed at least one percent, and breathed heavily through is nose.  He didn’t mind going to the Gamma quadrant, exploration, or combat. He just wanted to do his job, and help others do the same.  The Oumuamua would be a welcome starship for any engineer, and he hoped it would serve for many years to come.

Corelli: Again, sir, assuming I have been reassigned to the Oumuamua, The question is, how can I serve you?

V’Airu: Response

Corelli: The engineering staff can be trained, taught, and encouraged. The ship will be outfit with the latest technology, and while I am sure I can find someone to take on the assistant chief role,  unfortunately, I need to find a new best friend. Perhaps that’s a conversation best left to Counselor Brody.

Kammus looked away, but still feigned a raised eyebrow.

V’Airu: Response

Furrowing his brow, he was somewhat disappointed in missing the subtleties of the question.

Corelli: The ship will be ready ahead of schedule, all repairs will be completed and double checked before we leave space dock.  I am certain, other than time, we have everything we need.

V’Airu: Response

TAGS / TBC

LT. JG Kammus Corelli
Acting Chief Engineer