Ensign Ulasso- Relive the Pictures That Have Come to Pass

Uncle Waldo

May 19, 2022, 10:30:26 AM5/19/22
to sb118...@googlegroups.com
(( Bridge, Deck 1, USS 'Oumuamua ))

Cabrillo: Lieutenant Katsim, isn’t there a Bajoran Vedek among the survivors of the Thor?

Vomek: ::still looking at Cabrillo:: What would be the point of involving a Vedek?

The officers seemed to be addressing Katsim. Ulasso wasn't entirely sure what was going on right now. He had to admit, other than some cultural studies at the academy and some encounters with different species there, his knowledge of other species as a fresh ensign was lacking.

Katsim: There is.

Katsim: While Vedeks are generally leaders of religious matters that pertain to Bajor, they have been known to engage in diplomatic negotiations and discussions as well.  They seek to bring about peaceful resolutions to all conflict.

Ah, that made more sense. The Cenobians had spoke of peace repeatedly, maybe the Bajorans had some similar values and weren't so intense about them. To Ulasso, the Cenobians seemed to radiate that peace would be obtained, by any means necessary.

Katsim: But I can not speak for her on this matter, I can not accept this role for her.

V'Airu: If the vedek were to stay, as an official liaison -- then it would be the vedek's choice, and no other's.

Vorta: We would never force a liaison to stay. Certainly not!

Ulasso hadn't even considered forcing someone to stay. Interesting how this Vorta's mind had jumped to that. Were they still negotiating something? Ulasso was lost, the intricacies of diplomacy once again eluded his grasp.

Katsim: I know.

Cabrillo: Lieutenant, I believe we all have a part to play in this universe but rest assured my suggestion was just that, a suggestion.

Greaves: I'm sorry Ma'am, but it's going to take more than a conference call to convince me of much.

There were multiple reasons Ulasso wasn't quick to trust the Vorta as well. He played the events of this mission gone haywire through his head. He could barely remember why they had originally been sent to Okaea, it seemed like eons ago. Pirates under the employ of the Vorta had ripped them from the sky and taken their leader. The crew of the Thor had suffered casualties. Those lives couldn't be brought back.

In his mind, this United Dominion of Planets was already being built on the foundation of their graves. His mind wandered to those that himself and Brodie had found in the flooded bowels of the Thor, seemingly controlled by some unknown organisms, lost forever when that part of the ship became one with the ocean. He shuddered at the thought, in the small amount of sleep between pursuing the Commodore and leaving Okaea, the faces of those possessed crewman had haunted his nightmares.

V'Airu: Yes. We hear your intentions, and your experience with the Cenobians and the Karemma --but skepticism is warranted.

The Lost One: And we are on our way to doing more, hence the safe return of your people. I assure you, the damage to the Thor was an unfortunate overreach of hired mercenaries. Their actions do not represent us.

V'Airu: And yet you contracted with mercenaries.

Vorta: Is Federation history without blemish, Commodore, Major?

The Vorta's seemed to downplay the atrocities that had been committed. They had not even offered an apology.

Aparius: The use of mercenaries cannot be continued, they have no honor and are only loyal to currency. The Vorta have assured me that the use of Pirates is temporary, and we will provide a supplemental crew of Cenobians to replace them.

The Cenobian's tone was serious, but even keeled. At first glance, UIasso thought she was just being matter of fact, but on closer inspection, he saw her hands clenching the sides of her chair forcefully, telling of perhaps some anger she was attempting to conceal. The Cenobian once again spoke of honor, it was all too familiar. Ulasso knew of those that used honor and tradition as a shield and excuse to continue sometimes stagnant and barbaric ways. His father was the same way. It was an unwavering duty to honor that had led his father to exile his sister, Ulaini. She was now dead as a result.

Ulasso did agree that the use of mercenaries was not acceptable, as they had been shot down and the Commodore abducted as a result, however if they were released into the Cenobian's hands who knows how they would be judged.

Basilia/Greaves: Responses

The Lost One: To that, I defer to the Vorta.

Vomek: Did we just see a founder "defer" to someone else?

Ulasso wasn't experienced with founders and the Vorta other than what he had studied and from his anecdotal evidence from this current mission. It seemed the Vorta to be the one in charge, no matter what history might lead them to believe.

Vorta: There are no Founders here. Only -- equals.

Aparius: The Cenobians once left the Dark Times behind them by the uniting of the clans. We formed a council where each clan had an equal voice. We wish to put the Dark Times of the old Dominion behind this quadrant in a similar way, and unite to reach a new level of ascendancy as equals.

The words were quite poetic, Ulasso thought, but he wasn't convinced. This Peacekeeper as she called herself seemed cut from the same cloth as the warrior caste he was raised in. After Ulaini's death he had left his home behind and joined StarFleet. He hoped the false ideals of honor wouldn't worm themselves too much into the founding of this new United Dominion of Planets.

He reminded himself that this was not the time for an outburst. One wrong word and he could derode the progress that was being made. They needed this, for the good of this quadrant, and for the safety of their own lives. He had to remember as well, that he was able to escape the confines of his warrior caste with the outlet of StarFleet. Maybe this UDP could do the same for the Cenobians.

Katsim: And that is surely worthwhile.

The Lost One/Basilia/Greaves: Responses

Vomek: Response

Ulasso: StarFleet gave me a place to collaborate and listen to the ideals of others. If such an organization could be built in this quadrant, it may do the same for those afraid to travel too far from home.

Aparius: If the forming of this Union will be respected, It would seem we have no further business with the Federation. You are permitted to stay within our territory as long as needed to get your affairs in order. Vorta, we will start preparations to have Cenobians supplement your crew. Go in Peace.

Ulasso had a feeling this wasn't the last time they would encounter Aparius. She had mentioned the "League of Guardians", however it was Ulasso who swore to himself to be a sentinel against those that used honor as a means to an end. He would keep quiet for now, he was a StarFleet officer, and he had to bury his personal feelings for the time being to ensure diplomacy. Perhaps it would be good to talk to the Counselor about it after all this was over.

Katsim: Perhaps…the rest of our crew could be returned to us?

Katsim was right, Greaves and Basilia were still onboard the Battlecruiser, and seemingly at the mercy of the Vorta.

The Lost One/Basilia/Greaves: Responses

Cabrillo:  Commodore, shall I lower the shields to allow transport?

Vomek: response

Ulasso: They can transport through them, can they not? It might be a show of good faith to lower them, the risk being a pirate sneak attack however...

Katsim: Systems stabilised, ma’am.

The Lost One/Basilia/Greaves: Responses

Ulasso heard Cabrillo’s console start to chirp at him. True to their word the Vorta was transporting the crew back.

Cabrillo: Ma’am, incoming transporter beam.

Two officers began to materialize on the bridge. Ulasso felt some relief at the familiar face of Greaves, the Major had led them back from impending doom on Okaea. He didn't know Ensign Basilia very well, but if she had survived storming the battlecruiser and was still in fighting shape at the Major's side, he assumed she must be a true warrior.

Vomek: response

Ulasso checked the conn, all systems were now functioning.

Ulasso: Navigation sensors, impulse and warp drive are ready. I can take us out of here whenever we need. Standing by.

Greaves/Basilia/V'Airu/Katsim/Vomek/Cabrillo: responses

It seemed his first mission with Star Fleet might be coming to an end. Ulasso was looking forward to eventually getting back into the big chair on the Thor. He would miss some parts of helming the Luna class however, the maneuverability was outstanding. He was happy he had gotten to experience it. With the excitement of the day over, hunger pangs overtook him. He was so tired as well. He would get the crew home, and then he was looking forward to hopefully some R & R. He needed time to process all the events that had happened as well. He took in the Commodore's orders and set a course for Earth with the Thor in tow.

End scene for UIasso

OOC- Tony had mentioned this only going for a couple days/week this past weekend so I am going to end scene here for Ulasso with the assumption he helms the ship back to Earth.

Ensign Ulasso,
(HCO) Officer
USS Thor

T239902U11