Ensign Katsim Peri - "Phobia"

Amanda Nordstrom

Mar 24, 2021, 11:52:16 PM3/24/21
to USS Thor

((Shared Quarters of Ens. Jehe and Ens. Katsim, USS Thor))

There was a spider in their room.  Not just a spider, but a rather large and hairy spider.  Quite a nice specimen to be honest, and beautiful.  With a keen interest, Peri studied the creature.  Jehe, however, was not amused.  As she spoke, her voice rose in pitch, indicating a hint of fear.  It was enough that it drew Peri’s attention away from the arachnid to fall upon the black collared woman.  Yes.  The spider bugged her, a fact only completely confirmed by the way the woman inched away from the creature to put as much distance between her the creepy crawly as she could.  It only served as another indication of the difference between her and Peri’s deceased friend.  Turning back to the spider, the bajcardy did the complete opposite.  Instead of moving away, she moved toward the spider.  The creature had started toward Jehe as she tried to tiptoe away, then stopped.  Peri stopped as well.

The subsequent conversation had been about who the creature belonged to.  Jehe seemed flustered at the fact that there were no less than fifty three people on board who owned spiders.  After a quick glance, Peri turned away from Jehe, unable to prevent her lips from curling in a smile at the reaction.  There was progress made, however, with Peri’s next inquiry - specifically about that particular pet.

Computer: The arachnid in question currently belongs to Ensign Kellan Glass and is designated as ‘Valerie’.

The voice of the computer elicited a reaction from the arachnid, which swerved around as the monotone voice came through the speakers.

Jehe: I heard that resistance fighters on the moons of Bajor kept palukoo's as pets. Those were creepy spider things too. I get wanting a pet but...this Glass fellow must be crazy.

Now a frown appeared where only a moment prior that hint of a smile had flickered to life.  Crazy?  Friendly.  Open.  Outgoing.  All those things, yes, but Peri didn’t really think he was crazy.

Jehe: Think we could just stun it and then return to it's owner?

Turning, Peri stared at the woman in shock.  Was she that frightened of the little creature?  The spider had done nothing to harm them, and yet she wanted to lash out. Well, if fear was a motivator, Peri could certainly have some empathy, even if she didn’t understand it.  Everyone had their phobias, and from what she’d witness, Jehe’s was spiders.

Katsim: I don’t think that would be a good idea.

Jehe: Well...no. I didn't really think that was a viable option. ::She sighed.:: I suppose there's only one thing for it.

Only one thing.  Well, no, there were a couple of options, several actions they could take.  If Peri were inclined to agree with Jehe, they could, technically, stun the spider and find her owner.  She was definitely not so inclined.  Another option was far gentler.

Katsim: I could carry her home.

Doing so wouldn’t bother Peri in the least.  The hair was soft, and most types of spiders like that weren’t poisonous. Besides, she was probably far more frightened of them than they were of her.

Valerie: ?

Katsim: Unless you are electing for the third option.

Jehe: We call the problem's owner, of course.

Yes, of course.  Peri didn’t have to say it, Jehe knew what was on her roommate’s mind, and really, it was the option that made the most sense.  Since Valerie was Kellan’s responsibility, it was his duty to come collect his pet.

Jehe: =/\= Ens. Jehe to Ens. Glass. Do you happen to be missing a giant arachnid with a penchant for sneaking into places it shouldn't belong?=/\=

Katsim: She’s pretty.

Peri added, though it was a soft answer, one not likely heard over the com, and quite the weak attempt to insert herself into a conversation when it wasn’t really necessary.  Instead of offering further declarations of any of Valerie’s virtues, Peri instead leaned forward and extended her body, legs scooting backwards so she lay flat on her stomach and was more on the same level as wandering arthropod.

Valerie: Response

Glass: =/\= Valerie?...No...she's...=/\=

There was a pause, his words trailing off and a the silence was followed by a less confident -

Glass: =/\=...err hang on a minute.  ::Shuffling noises indicated movement, and Kell spoke again.:: I'm sure she's in here.=/\=

Except he didn’t sound sure.  Not to Peri anyway.  Or maybe it was her brain inserting that attribute simply because she knew for fact that his pet was in her right, crouching down, waving her furry arms in a furious frenzy.

Glass: =/\=Yeah. ::Heavy sigh:: I take it she's found her way to your location?=/\=

Jehe: ???

Glass: =/\= If you can keep the doors closed, I'll come along now and retrieve her....Sorry, she's a law unto herself....don't worry, she's completely harmless. Just try not to make any loud noises or sudden movement, she's attracted to them, especially as its late in her reproductive cycle, if she hears a loud noise or senses any movement,  she's likely to be attracted to it and could jump on you!.....anyhow, I've nearly finished my coffee, Iet me finish it and I'll be there....soonish ::A soft chuckle was barely picked up on the other end of the line.::....Glass out!=/\=

Jehe/Valerie: ???

Katsim: I’m sure he won’t linger.

Surely when he said he was going to finish his drink, he meant quickly.  Not that Peri minded.  The spider was harmless, simply standing there with its defensive posture, and would cause no trouble.  Too small to cause trouble, really, though Peri had a feeling Jehe might argue otherwise.

Jehe/Valerie: ?

Katsim: She’s not so bad.  Spiders are useful creatures.

Jehe/Valerie: ?

Peri settled even further on the floor, even so much as to lace her fingers together and rest her chin, eyes level with the spider, quite content to stay there. Dark brown eyes met the myriad of black ones upon the strangely expressive face.

Katsim: She won’t hurt you.

Did this spider weave a web?  The ruahara did, though they were often coaxed and trained to produce silk for the very fabric she used for embroidery.  If that spider did, would the silk be so strong?  What little she knew about spiders was that some did, some didn’t.

Katsim: Have you ever seen a ruahara?

Jehe/Valerie: ?

--
Ensign Katsim Peri