Lt. Katsim Peri - "New Arrival"

Amanda Nordstrom

Jun 4, 2022, 12:25:00 AM6/4/22
to USS Thor

((7 Forward Lounge, Deck 7, USS 'Oumuamua))

The religious beliefs of Bajorans was quite well known to most of the Federation worlds - at least, the surface level of it was.  They worshipped the Prophets, and though a running gag of a title of “Wormhole Aliens” had made its rounds through Starfleet, Peri knew very well they were so much more than that.  They protected and guided, and called her people back to them at the end of their time.  Some day, she would be in the Celestial Temple among them.

Those who had an interest beyond the surface level of an appreciation for differing cultures were rare, but not completely unheard of.  Still, it was not something that Peri was used to talking about with anyone, particularly someone who was not well known to her.  Doctor Kel was, of course, a nice man, certainly good at his craft, but he was also a stranger in a sense.  His question in regards to her beliefs caught her off guard as well, but the vision or dream which he shared certainly spoke to something that mattered to him and to his situation.

The prophets did move in dreams at times.  When someone gazed upon an orb, a person would enter into a dream-like state on the outside but their consciousness would commune with the other worldly beings.  Peri had never had the opportunity to engage with an Orb, but she often wondered what it was like.  Regardless, it was likely the most powerful way to reach the Prophets, but if the Prophets so desired, they would reach out to someone else - and that someone wasn’t always Bajoran.  However, Peri was uncertain as to whether or not Dr. Kel’s vision was from the Prophets.

Katsim: Whether or not it’s from the Prophets, it sounds like there’s wisdom in what the man said.

That was the truth.  From what she could glean, Kel was holding on to something.

V’Len: I think you're right.  Whether myself or the Prophets, someone wants me to move on and become a better (beat) V'Len.

Peri nodded.  Sometimes it was hard to come to terms with change, with moving on.  The dream that the something he clung to was his old selves - the ones that had joined together to create one him.  That wouldn’t do him any good.

V'Len:  Not to ask a question that's too personal, but (beat) do you find it difficult (beat) being a child of two worlds?  I mean I know you grew up on a Bajoran colony, but is it ever hard to reconcile your Bajoran and Cardassian halves?

It was a good question, and it was one that Peri had been asked by more than one person.  For some, it might seem strange, but she wasn’t just a child of two cultures, she was a child of two cultures that had been at odds, one occupying the other.  The story of her conception was far more positive than that of others - a unique instance in the history between Bajor and Cardassi - but that didn’t change the fact that there was a lot behind the relationship between each.

Katsim: Um.  Actually, I grew up on Starfleet postings…ships mostly.  A couple of bases and planets.

Her family had moved around a lot, and Bajor had been the last posting before she had moved on to Starfleet Academy about a year and a half later.

Katsim: But…to answer your question..yes. It can’t be.  Especially when people look at you and what they see isn’t necessarily you.

V'Len:  I see. At this point I think I'm a little out of place on Andoria and Trill.  I wonder what Toz would say?  We should start a support group ::chuckles::

Peri managed a small smile at that.  Hybrids weren’t uncommon, but certain types were.  Kel was the first Trill and Andorian combination, but even his situation was quite unique.  He’d been created by a transporter accident, not conceived between two parents.  Or…four.  Well, technically six….that was so very confusing.

Katsim: I..don’t know about that.  But…if you need to talk…

There she was, offering to actually *talk* to someone, even though she wasn’t a counsellor.  Still, she could sympathise with Doctor Kel’s situation and knew how hard it could be when someone looked at you for what you were rather than who you were.

V'Len:  Hey is that Ensign Zale?  Have you met her yet, she's in sciences right?

Peri had dived so deep into her previous thought that she hadn’t even noticed the arrival of a new officer. Turning, her gaze fell upon the woman in question.  She was, from what Peri could tell, human, though she also knew there were some other species that were very much not save for outward appearances.

Katsim: Oh…yes.  She is…I..have not.  With all the recent changes, there’d been a lot to catch up on.  Peri had only caught a brief glimpse of her in passing before.  Without missing a beat, Doctor Kel lifted his hand to wave the woman over.

V'Len:  Ensign Zale  ::motioning:: Come over and join us.

Katsim: Oh…um…

Glancing around, Peri couldn’t really make an excuse without being rude.  There were two empty chairs at their table,and plenty of others to pull up if more people wanted to join.  She just hadn’t really expected to be a member of a growing party, though she also was cognizant that she really should meet the woman since they were in the same department, even if Peri’s current status as to position and posting were in limbo.  As the newest scientist approached, Peri managed a small smile.

Katsim: Hello.

Kel/Zale/Any: Response

Peri’s gaze drifted back to those empty seats, and of course she wasn’t going to refuse the woman. She nodded, motioning briefly to one of them.

Katsim: Please.

Echo, however, was quite more gregarious than her pet.  The little purple dragon’s eyes watched the new arrival’s every move.  Ebony whirled brightly in the lights and as Zale joined them, her mouth opened in a pleasant chirping sound that was something more like a bird.  Even her skin wasn’t reptilian, akin to a mammal’s, soft and suede-like.  From her position on the table she turned around and sat, facing the latest arrival and observing her with an intense animalistic scrutiny.

Kel/Zale/Any: Response

Katsim: Oh…sorry.  That’s Echo.  She’s my dragon.

Dragon, dragonet, drake, there were so many names, and none of them quite did her justice, but they were the closest they came.  Still not mature completel, Echo had, nonetheless, elongated and slimmed somewhat, her pudginess less pronounced than before.  Her tail could now wrap fully around Peri’s neck, though never tight enough to restrict breathing.  Still, she was a small thing, more than able to remain upon the woman’s shoulder if she so desired.  At the moment, she didn’t really desire it.

Kel/Zale/Any: Response

--
Lt. Katsim Peri
Chief Science Officer