Ens. Toz - Okaea comes back to haunt

boylepat511

Jun 15, 2022, 2:34:15 PM6/15/22
to USS Thor – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Sickbay, Deck 7, USS Oumuamua))

Zale: Well, I am speculating here, but, if it’s attached to Ulasso, maybe the bio-filter just thought it was part of him, or his nervous system itself. Perhaps it fused with his nervous system, so it didn't see anything abnormal.

Ulasso looked at Zale, his eyes wide.

Katsim: Is it dangerous?

Zale: I am hoping it is not, there are a lot of unknowns here though. Maybe we can try and stimulate the nerves and get it to move or detach and then grab it, but it might move too fast or burrow further into Ulasso if we upset it.

Ulasso: We need to find out immediately if this creature is the same species that Brodie and myself encountered on Okaea. Those anemone-like creatures had appeared to have taken over the bodies of some submerged crewmen we found. If so I need you to get this thing out of my head as quickly as possible.

Toz watched Kel shudder.  Had he heard the story of the crewmen found in the flooded compartments from Brodie and Ulasso?

Kel: Is there a general anesthesia we could try?

Unlike mammalian or reptilian life forms, cnidarians did not have highly specific cell types.  This meant you could not immobilize muscles or shut down nerves. You could just shut down the entire organism.

Toz: Not sure that will work. We need to reach in there and snag it. Forceps should work. ::pause:: Is that suction cups on its, uh, tentacles?

This thing was most likely a species of Okaea.  Toz was certain that everyone present was thinking that it meant that anyone who had a true knowledge of them was back on the research station, which was still dealing with the aftermath of everything that had happened. The station had been flooded; partially destroyed. She was certain herself that the station could be ‘fixed’.

Hah! Fixed was just a word. Didn’t mean a lot. Well, not in the medical field, anyway.

Katsim: Did the Oumuamua get any records from Okaea?

Toz: Not medical records. ::looking around:: Any of you get records or reports?

 Zale: Would their records even have any information on something like this? I mean if it happened to Ulasso, it was bound to happen to someone else, right? Or is that wishful thinking?

Kel:  I'm not sure we have any data from that time period.  Things were pretty crazy.

Ulasso: We never recovered the bodies of those crewmen that had anemone-like creatures attached to their ear canals... I don't think there is much information on them.

Completely unknown. Scans could tell them a lot, but their experience with the life form was limited and minimal.  Contrariwise, the researchers had been on the station for months…years?

Katsim: Maybe we should call the research station?

 Zale: Might as well. I don't see it causing any harm if we do. Maybe they have seen this before, who knows.

Toz: They were friendly. I’ll bet they will be glad to help. Unless… This is a species they developed themselves. They won’t want us to know that.

 Ulasso: We never recovered the bodies of those crewmen that had anemone-like creatures attached to their ear canals... I don't think there is much information on them.

Kel walked over to place his hand on Ulasso's shoulder.

Kel: Easy buddy.  You're safe and stable for now.  Stay calm we've got all the best people working on this.

Ulasso: If you are going to, please do so quickly. Doctors, is there any way to sedate this thing, if not can we explore what Doctor Toz was saying about extracting it? I am scared of what might happen to me the longer it remains.

 Katsim: Well…

The science officer was giving Ulasso a strange look. To Toz it seemed that she had seen something Toz had missed. Looking at him closer, Toz didn’t see any outward signs of distress. Taking a step closers to the patients, she punched in commands that would bring up (maybe) hidden symptoms. Nothing.

Then she saw it: A pale flush to the skin.

Toz: That thing is draining Ulasso’s energy. We’ve got to remove it and soon.

Katsim: My concern is we’re attempting to extract something we don’t know anything about.  What if it leaves something behind?  Or trying to force it out causes it to inject something toxic?

Zale: That is true. Maybe we both sound paranoid here, but It could have some type of defense mechanism, be it a toxin as Katsim mentioned, or like that of a puffer fish, did you know they can expand to three times their size? That could make this situation go from bad to worse. Could you imagine if...never mind. Sorry, Ulasso, I am not trying to scare you, my mind just races and at times, I speak before I think,.

True, what Zale had said was scary, however Ulasso was clearly terrified, but seemed slightly comforted by her level of knowledge. That being said, the thought of the creature suddenly growing 3 times its size while in his head was hard to get out of his mind.

He was feeling a bit useless. He wanted to focus his mind and help solve this problem, at the least to distract him a bit. then remembered as a communications officer he might be able to help contact the research station.

Kel:  Let's focus on the positive.  It's not in its ideal environment so it's probably not working optimally.  I can try to take a tissue sample and get an enzyme profile.  That should help us assess toxin concerns.  How do we get ahold of Okaea?

Toz: I’ve got to go with Dr. Kel’s plan. A sample will tell us a lot. Then we can contact Ikaea. See what they have to say. At least we’ll know if their research aligns with what we know.

Ulasso: You should be able to send a subspace message to Deep Space 9 and then it can be routed through the relay in the Gamma Quadrant to the Okaea station. I assume they have staff there repairing the damage from the pirate attack.

Kel: ::Turning to Zale and Katsim:: Do you two want to try to get in touch with Okaea?  I'm going to prep to get that tissue sample.

Kel walked away from the group and went to a drawer to pull out what he needed for taking the tissue sample.

Zale/Katsim: Responses

Toz watched with interest. Dr. Kel was obviously more experienced than she at real life patient treatments. Following along, she watched with interest as he picked up a couple of class slides, a petri dish, a speculum and a couple of other instruments that Toz would not have thought to use. Like the swab. A scalpel would be better than a swab. Or so she thought.

She turned back to Ulasso as he again spoke up.

Ulasso: There was atmospheric isotope interference that made local communications difficult with the planet, however they must have some way around it to be able to make their scheduled check ins.

Zale/Katsim: Responses

Toz: In every case, there is always a way. Always. Once we get this sample, we may suddenly have a way to extract the little bugger.

Ulasso: My head is pounding, but I can walk you through it using Sickbay's communications system. Is there anything that can be done about the pain in the meantime?

Zale/Katsim: Responses

Toz: There is always my favourite, an analgesic. But in this case, I think an anaesthetic would work best. I recommend anetrizine. Fast acting, about 20cc’s aught to do it.

While she was talking, she popped a vial into a hypospray and fit the tip to Ulasso’s neck. He wasn’t exactly pleased, she figured, but it worked. His body relaxed.

Kel watched as the group worked to reach the outpost.  He looked for an opportune moment to sample Ulasso's new pet.

Zale/Katsim/Ulasso: Responses

Finally he could wait no longer.  He stepped up behind Ulasso.

V'Len:  Head back buddy.

Ulasso: Response

It was just as well. Toz stood at attention, ready to help or grab Ulasso’s hands to keep him from interfering with the medical treatment. She hated having things shoved up her nose but she couldn’t let him see her aversion to the sight.

V'Len shoved the swab he had deep into the Saurian's nose. He tried to be gentle but knew he needed to get deep enough to pull some tissue off the creature.  After a moment he pulled the swab out and placed it into some growth media.

Zale/Katsim/Ulasso: Responses

Kel:  :: Heading over to the analysis station::  I'll get to work on this.  Ensign Zale, want to lend your expertise?

Toz relaxed a little. Zale was perfect to help. A science officer by training and not by chance, the newby ensign  was very welcome to step in.

Toz: What do you think, Lt. Katsim? If we can’t reach the researchers, should we go with our findings alone?

Zale/Katsim/Ulasso: Responses

Toz had to agree. Ulasso was the patient and what he had to say needed to be taken into account. But, she pondered, was he the best judge? Of course not, she decided. Whatever the science and medical personnel decided was what was best and was what they would do.

Toz: I’ll prep for surgery. If it’s not indicated, we just put it on hold.

TAGS

———————-

Ensign Toz

Medical Officer