Maj Wes Greaves - The Things We Miss

Jacob Rittenhouse

May 29, 2022, 10:23:25 AM5/29/22
to USS Thor – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((7 Forward Lounge, Deck 7, USS Oumuamua))

Hartmann: I’ve been an officer for forty years.  Fought in the Dominion War.  Served before and after.

For a moment Wes didn’t respond. Instead, he spun on his stool to face the bar once again and took a long draw from the beer. The foam at the top stuck to his upper lip and Wes had to lick it clean, thankful he didn’t have a moustache.

Greaves: Doesn’t seem like you want to be talked out of it.

Hartmann: Like I said, I’m done.

While each sentence was short, there was a great deal of shared meaning behind each word. Hartmann had been in service to the Federation a long time, but Wes was far from new. He had his own decade under his belt. He’d missed the big war, too young at the time, but he’d fought a host of brutal enemies. As the conversation had progressed the two had spoken mostly into their drinks, eyes distant and unfocussed. Now Wes turned to look at Hartmann.

Greaves: Why the recommendation then?

Hartmann: Because you’re the right man for the job.

Greaves: I appreciate it Roger, but you barely know me.

His eyes turned back to the drink and the sound of Roger’s glass being roughly set down indicated the current XO had finished another one. Not to be outdone, Wes finished the dregs of his beer with a long pull and then downed the shot of tequila with barely a cringe. Both glasses were immediately refilled and Wes sipped at the fresh drink.

Hartmann: Maybe, but I stand by my opinion, and I stand by my recommendation.  I’ve seen enough to know who should fill the position.

He paused again, metal fingers clanking against the long table.

Hartmann: Tell me something.

Greaves: Shoot.

Movement caught his attention and Wes turned to meet Rogers gaze.

Hartmann: Are you really sure that going back to a marine unit is what *you* want?

Wes didn’t look away, but he didn’t answer immediately either. It was a question he’d been wrestling with for a couple of days. He missed working strictly with Marines. It was an entirely different environment and a different mission. One he was good at. Very good at. There was something about the bridge of a Starship though… it called to him. It challenged him in ways he’d never expected. Finally, Wes broke the long eye contact and took another drink.

Greaves: You fought in the war. You ever look back on it and miss it?

Hartmann: Response

It was clear the question was unexpected. Hell, the thought was and Wes hoped he hadn’t offended the old salt dog. Wes didn’t want a war, but there were things he’d experienced in combat that he’d never felt anywhere else. A lot of bad, but some of the most powerful good times in his life. And most importantly, those moments were some of the most meaningful of his life.

Greaves: I was too young when the war kicked off, but that’s why I joined Starfleet. Why I joined the Marines. It was the threat of the Dominion and the Borg. Something existential that Starfleet barely held the line against. I wanted to be with those men and women holding the line. That’s why I became a Marine.

Hartmann: Response

Greaves: Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not out here looking for a war, but I fought plenty of skirmishes when I was enlisted. Lost some good people…. (voice fading away)

His thoughts flicked very briefly to Newson, but unlike even a year ago his mind didn’t linger there. Newson no longer took up a singular spotlight of failure and loss anymore. Now there were too many people to share that spotlight with him. So, so many who’d fallen while serving under his orders. Enough to fill a stage. A whole theater maybe. The thought sobered him immensely, and Wes hid behind his glass, taking another long pull of beer.

Hartmann: Response

Greaves: Do the job long enough, it happens to all of us. I don’t miss that. What I miss is the intensity of the comradery. I’ve never felt more at home, more safe, and more in tune with any people in my life than I have sitting in the back of a shuttle with a bunch of my Marines riding into battle. That’s what I miss.

Hartmann: Response

Greaves: Thing is, I’ve gotten a bit of that serving on the Thor too.

Hartmann: Response

Tags/TBC

Major Wes Greaves
Executive Officer