JP: Capt Greaves & Capt Kesaan - “Running Up That Hill” Part 1

Alexander Brodie

Apr 9, 2021, 1:34:43 PM4/9/21
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

JP: Capt Greaves  & Capt Kesaan - “Running Up That Hill” Part 1

((Outskirts Of Raal, Vulcan))

It was early in the day and the thin air was already starting to heat up as the cloud burned away. The Trill marine could feel the dust kicking up around his feet as he powered up the trail towards the summit of the hill.

It had been a long mission and he was glad of some shoreleave - and a warmer climate. It was good to get some air into his lungs without the need for protective equipment although he wouldn't have said no to a dust mask at this particular point in time.

He crested the hill and came to a stop at the summit, removing a water canteen from his belt and taking a deep drink….then he heard the footsteps. They were coming from ahead of him...perhaps someone else out for a run but who would be keen enough to come this far up?

He watched as the figure approached and he recognized the uniform but not the man wearing it. The exercise garb of the Starfleet Marine Corps...identical to his own...but it wasn’t one of his own. The figure came into view as they broke the rise of the hill and he could see them for the first time without the sun’s glare. Younger than him that was certain, slightly shorter, slightly lighter build but with a shaved head that Teyvion was jealous of as his own hair was matted with sweat and dust.

How often do you get to exercise on the planet side? Especially in a desert environment? The phrase ‘any clime or place’ came to mind as Wes had planned his workout for the day. It was a simple feat to beam down near a trail and run the hills. Now that he was several miles in and working up the steep side of another countless hill, Wes Greaves was contemplating all of the decisions that had led him to that moment. He was so engrossed in the run and maintaining his fast pace in the harsh environment that he didn’t even see the man at the top of the hill to the side of the trail.

Up close Teyvion could also see the markings on the new arrivals clothing. Two bars printed in black on the chest - matching his own.

Kesaan: I’m not sure who you are, Captain, but one of us is going to have to change.

The voice pierced the monotone of the wind Wes had listened to for the past half hour and the shock of another person’s presence snapped him into reality. Moreso, it was just the excuse he needed to finally take a break and drink some water. The sun was bright and he had to raise a hand to shield his eyes so he could see. The Marine Captain standing before him in matching attire wasn’t someone Wes knew. Nevertheless, Wes always felt a certain camaraderie just on seeing another Marine.  They shared a small enough service that coming across another in the wild was a rare, and to Wes, a treasured occurrence.

Greaves: (Grinning) I’ll bite the bullet on that one. It’s too hot for clothes out here anyway.

Kesaan: I’d heard there was another detachment lurking about - you must be from the Thor, right?

Greaves: Yup, that’s me. (Closing the distance and extending a hand) Wes Greaves. Mar-Det Commander for the Thor.

He extended a hand.

Kesaan: Captain Teyvion Kesaan, C-SAR Commander, USS Ballard.

Wes nodded, his friendly smile still plain across his face. Teyvion was nearly a half foot taller and easily 40 pounds bigger, if not more. The difference in stature reminded Wes of an old saying. Marines come in two breeds. Big and mean, or lean and mean. The pair, standing in PT clothes atop a desert hill, both sweating as they trained their bodies for war, easily fit the description.

Greaves: It’s always a pleasure to meet a friendly face in green. I hadn’t heard the Ballard was in the area. You guys just get in?

Kesaan: We made orbit yesterday. Thought I’d try and get a little decompression time. We’ve been supporting a humanitarian mission - it was...pretty full-on

Wes nodded again and took a long gulp of water from a canteen attached to his belt. A heavy bead of sweat slid down his forehead and into his eyes. For not the first time he’d wished he’d remembered sunglasses.

Greaves: Ya don’t say?

Wes glanced further down the trail, eyeing it suspiciously, half expending the cracked dirt to open up to the pits of hell themselves with how warm it was outside.

Greaves: Not to be rude, but I really oughta keep this workout up. If I don’t keep up the momentum, I know I’m just gonna beam backup and chicken out. I’ve only got a few more miles left to go if you wanna join me?

Teyvion looked towards the trail, then towards Greaves...then smiled.

Kesaan: Sure sounds fun...it’ll help keep each other honest.

He was glad for the company. Anything really to take his attention away from his dry throat and aching legs.

The two men set off down the trail. A gentle pace to start to try and get their muscles working without tearing one - the last thing you wanted before shoreleave.

Greaves: So, a C-SAR guy huh? Of all the things I’ve done in the Corps so far, that’s one duty I haven’t pulled.

Kesaan: I enjoy it...although it’s not dissimilar to what I did before the corps.

Greaves: What was that? Law enforcement? Security?

Kesaan: I was a paramedic on Trill. Some of that was search and rescue but mostly treatment...although that was before I was joined.

Even tired from running, Wes caught the implication in the other Marine’s sentence.

Greaves: No shit? I don’t think I’ve ever met a joined Trill in our profession.

Kesaan: I can’t say they were keen on the fact I take a symbiont into potentially life-threatening situations but they can’t really take it back now. How about yourself - what’s your background?

Their pace was perfect for the conversation. Just enough to keep the heart rate up, but not so fast that it made talking overly difficult. Each of their words came between choppy and harsh breathing, punctuated by a blast of hot wind from time to time.

Greaves: (Jokingly) I’m sure my life story is boring to someone with a half dozen lifetimes buzzing around their head.

Kesaan:::smiling::  Oh, not quite half a dozen...just five...and that includes me.

Greaves: I joined the Corps when I was young. 18. Came in as a non-com.

Kesaan kept running but it didn’t escape his thoughts that the younger marine probably had more years in the Corps than he did.

Kesaan: Starting young...was that general infantry?

Greaves: Combat engineer actually. I was mostly on task force duty. Did some time with 51-5 rooting out pirates. Also did some time with the 3rd Expeditionary Brigade as well.

Kesaan: Sounds like you moved around a lot more than I did.

Greaves: You could say that. Before I went to the Academy I was with Mar-Det on the Hood. Man, that old rust bucket was a ship. They don’t make ‘em like they used to. You ever serve on an Excelsior?

Kesaan: ::Laughing:: There’s a reason they don’t make them like that anymore...can’t say that I’ve served on one though. This is my second tour on the Ballard, she’s an Intrepid and - while you never get used to it - planetary landings are...really quite something if you haven’t had the pleasure. I was on the Excalibur in the middle - she’s a Vesta class, same as Thor, right?

Wes reached for the canteen on his hip and nodded before taking a sip. Drinking water while running was a finely honed skill every Marine developed at one point or another. He still managed to spill half the sip on his chin, but the cool water was refreshing nonetheless.

Greaves: Yup. Big ‘ol girl, and really not as big of a crew complement as you’d think. Tons of space everywhere. Can’t imagine it’s like that over on the Ballard. Where do you guys operate out of?

Kesaan: The Afehirr sector. It’s the far side of Romulan and Klingon space - mostly unexplored but there’s no Federation outposts as such...pretty isolated.

TBC

=========================

Captain (SFMC) Wes Greaves

Marine Detachment Commander