Acting Shipmaster Nokzu – On a Gilded Surfboard

Wes Greaves

Jan 21, 2021, 9:54:43 AM1/21/21
to USS Thor – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

Acting Shipmaster Nokzu – On a Gilded Surfboard

(( Command Deck, Endless Golden Penetrator ))

Saulan: We have been able to see your ship. And in that space, so many people cannot live together during the 6 rotations that it takes to return to the planet. We understand that your technology is superior, but I don't think you can just create more space.

Kells: We have the capacity to evacuate over three thousand, Director. They may not be comfortable for long periods, but...

Greaves: Besides, the trip should take hardly any time at all. A little discomfort for a bit should be tolerable.

The creature spoke as if traveling to their home would be quick, but that couldn’t be right. While these people obviously were advanced there was no way they could violate the laws of physics and Rem’trell’s Law was clear. Matter could not travel faster than the speed of light. Besides, even if they could the nebula would tear them apart traveling that fast.

Nokzu: I’ll take you at your word that your ship can hold us all, but surly the travel time…

Saulan: Can it go that fast? There are still many of us if they can use Penetrator as a lifeboat it will be easier to take us. Although... even if the outer hull has cracks the ship is ready. If we can get it away from The Edge, we can repair it. You have to give us a chance.

Katsim: Is there a way we could extend the shields to the Penetrator? The ship is enormous. Did the Thor have that much power to create that many gravitons?

Kells: It's a possibility, if the Penetrator can maintain structural cohesion.

Greaves: What about a warp field? If we can extend a field around the Penetrator it should reduce the relative mass of the ship. Should help in keeping up integrity during a tow.

The concepts the creatures were discussing were beyond Nenni. What was warp? Their communication software failed to translate the word to anything she could understand.

Nokzu: I thought your engineers were already working on reinforcing The Penetrator?

Saulan: Responses

Katsim: Would there be a way to manipulate the gravitons in space to create a shield around the ship?

Kells: If it comes to it, better we try something.

Greaves: Based on what Lieutenant Sirok had to do to our deflector, I think that may be the more important component to towing this thing out of here.

Saulan: Responses

Katsim: There's also the matter of the wave coming relative to where the ships are now.

Greaves: You’re right. That’s step one. Surviving the wave.

Nokzu: Agreed. The ship must be preserved if possible.

Saulan: Responses

Katsim: Maybe one of the engineers might be better at figuring out the math on this, but how we approach the way can also help us ride it out and keep the integrity of the ships. (beat) If we approach the wave at a perpendicular, then set thrusters to push at the bottom of the wave in a pulsating pattern to lift the nose of the ship, we should be able to ride it out and glide down on the other side without sustaining damage.

Aron nodded. It was a good plan -- the smaller the target they presented, the better.

Kells: I'm sure that Commander Teller will have thought of it for the Thor. For the Penetrator, however...

Kells: Can we do that with a reasonable chance of success for saving the Penetrator, Shipmaster?

Nenni squinted her eyes in thought as she crunched the numbers. The Penetrator was massive, but she had a large number of manuevering thrusters for changing orientation.

Nokzu: If we’re able to prepare for the maneuver in time, we should be able to do it.

Greaves: The Thor’s tractor beam should be able to help with minor attitude adjustments as well.

Saulan: Responses

Kells: How long do we have? How long until the wave hits, Ensign?

Katsim: Response

Greaves: In that case we really need to start getting some people off this ship. (Turning to the Zet) Is the first wave nearly ready?

Nokzu: They’ve been ordered to report her on a strict time table.

Saulan: Responses

Greaves: Excellent.

Almost as if on cue a small wave of Zet appeared at the back of the room as the doors parted. A half dozen filed in slowly, looking as confused as six eyes and no eyebrows would allow.

Saulan: Response

At the command, the group moved sluggishly toward the pattern enhancers and once they were fully within the bounds of the device, the group disappeared in a shimmer of particles. Seemingly as soon as soon as they were gone, a new group had arrive to repeat the process.

Greaves: (Turning to Kells) Sir, We really should get you back to the Thor as well.

Kells: Response

Greaves: You or Commander Teller sir. We can’t afford to lose both of you in one go.

Katsim/Kells: Response

Nokzu: I intend on staying aboard the Penetrator as long as possible.

Kells/Saulan/Katsim: Response

Nokzu: I understand that, but you need a link to the rest of the crew on this ship. That is me. Besides, someone needs to continue to organize the evacuation while your engineers work.

Kells/Saulan/Katsim: Response

TAGS/TBC!

Nenni Nokzu

Acting Shipmaster