Ensign Tara Wilkins - Mystery of the Chorniton Particles

Katherine Walter

May 22, 2020, 2:44:46 PM5/22/20
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

(( Science Lab 3 Deck 3, USS Thor ))

Tara was exhausted. She could use a shower after being inside an EV suit for the first time in her life. Yet, there was no time for that. She had to work quickly and figure out if the planet was going to jump forward in time again. Most importantly, if it did, she needed to know when.

Wilkins: We need to switch over the consoles from social science stations to quantum physics stations.

Kook: Why not just use the lab that is for quantum physics?

Wilkins: I don’t want to step on toes of those in charge of other science labs. Besides, it won’t take too long to switch it over.

Doug opened up the panel to one of the consoles and began to work on switching the system over. Tara did likewise on another terminal.

Tara got back on her feet after she completed the short process of switching it over.

Wilkins: MacKenzie detected a spike in chroniton readings when the ion storm appeared. There most have been a connection.

Kook: It also implies that there were some particles there to begin with.

Tara nodded her head.

Wilkins: Chroniton particles aren’t usually found naturally. They are found in Romulan cloaking devices. Borg cubes also produce them. Yet, I don’t think that either of them are likely candidates to producing the chroniion particles. Only the Borg could produce enough of the particles to shift an entire start system.

Kook: As you said they are usually not found naturally. In this instance it might have been formed due to some ion storms on the surface. … Just a theory.

Wilkins: Even if it is produced naturally, how would it get the entire star system to shift and not just the planet itself?

The question was more rhetorical. Tara began to input data from her tricorder to the science station. She shook her head.

Wilkins: It is going to be impossible to know what the source of the chroniton particles is with our limited data. We’ll need to scan the surface from here.

Tara inputted some commands into the station as the systems on the USS Thor began to collect data from the surface.

Wilkins: I’m relaying the information over to your station. Figure out how quickly the levels rose and how long until it reaches a chroniton flux of .005. That’s about the time that the temporal displacement starts to occur.

Kook: Aye, sir.

Wilkins: oO What makes this planet so unique? Oo

Tara analyzed the concentration of the chronition on the surface. They appeared to be going to the magnetic poles of the planet. Of course, that was it. Vel Maijan had a very powerful magnetic field than most planets.

Wilkins: Crewman Kook, how long do we have?

Kook: At this rate it will reach a flux of .005 within two hours.

Wilkins: =/\= Ensign Wilkins to Commander MacKenzie. =/\=

MacKenzie: =/\= response =/\=

Wilkins: =/\= I’m sorry to interrupt you, but with Lieutenant Lovar being on the surface and since you were leading our away team …. =/\=

MacKenzie: =/\= response =/\=

Wilkins: =/\= Of course, sir. We just discovered that the magnetic field of Vol Maijan acts as an amplifier for the cronition flux. At this rate it should temporally displace the planet in two hours. Including the entire star system and Thor =/\=.

MacKenzie: =/\= response =/\=

Wilkins: =/\= We haven’t been able to locate the source of the chroniton particles. We don’t even know if it is naturally incurring or is artificial. =/\=

MacKenzie: =/\= response =/\=

Wilkins: =/\= I’ll keep you updated once we find out. =/\=

TAG/TBC

Ensign Tara Wilkins

Science Officer

USS Thor NCC-82607