Lt. Cmdr. Roger Hartmann - "Changing Of The Guard"

Amanda Nordstrom

May 23, 2022, 11:39:45 PM5/23/22
to USS Thor

((USS Oumuamua - 7 Forward Lounge))

One day more.

That was how long it was until they arrived at Earth, the home to many people on the Oumuamua, including him.  Roger had spent the better part of their trip dealing with the aftermath of the entire situation.  Commodore’s Kells’ kidnapping, his rescue, and his request for a leave of absence had all come one right after the other.  Processing the situation with the thor, too, had been a headache, but a necessary one.  There had been a debriefing, and Roger was under no illusions that there weren’t to be more.  Likely he’d be swept into meetings as soon as they got there.  But there were multiple reasons that was the case.

He had spent the day filling out many such reports, the PADDwork a mountain considering the entirety of what had transpired.  He was tired.  He didn’t have the patience for such things that he once had.  He was ready to be done with it.  So when the afternoon stretched into evening and finally into night time, such as it was on a Starship, he’d tossed the PADDs aside and escaped his quarters.  His sanctuary?  The lounge.

It was late enough that the next shift had taken over, but not so late that the place was completely deserted.  There werewas a scattering of people, clustered around tables in conversations that, if he went by the expressions, ranged from serious to lighthearted.  He avoided those and instead turned to the bar which, save for the tender who was in the middle of making a set of drinks for one of the clusters of people, remained empty.  No longer.  Roger took up a stool and sat on it.  The tender nodded to him politepolitely, a Pygorian from the looks of him, his five eyes so dark that only when the stood just so in the light could one tell they were actually a deep, deep blue.  , A Kazleti, his main hue that of violet which seemed to shift in an ombre to purple, at least to the tips of his fingers as well as the fleshy protrusions his kind had rather than hair.

Koryan: Be with you in a moment.

Roger waved his hand in acknowledgement and watched as the colourful man made colourful drinks.  He was done momentarily and left briefly in order to deliver them to the proper table.  Upon his return, he smiled to Roger who sat, leaning heavily upon the bar.

Koryan: How may I help you?

Hartmann: Chech'tluth, neat.

That was how it was *supposed* to be consumed.  Roger could never understand why anyone would want to change it, but to each his own.  Koryan nodded and produced a glass as well as a bottle and filled it for him.  The first officer lifted it, downed it in one fell swoop, then clapped it against the surface of the bar.

Hartmann: Another.

Koryan: That kind of day?

Hartmann: That kind of life.

Koryan didn’t ask any more questions, simply nodded and refilled the glass.  That time, however, Roger elected to savour it a bit more.  He’d barely taken a sip of the second when the doors parted. Most people wouldn’t have even bothered to look, but Roger was far too on edge for that - he at least cast a glance at the doors.  Friend or foe?  The answer was obvious since he was on the Oumuamua, but it was one thing he’d picked up over the years that he’d never shaken off.  When he saw who it was, he lowered his glass and motioned to the man.

Hartmann: Greaves.

Greaves: Response

As the other first officer approached, Roger made a brief motion to the stool next to him.

Hartmann: Have a seat.  And a drink.

It wasn’t exactly an invitation from a friend to a friend, but more a colleague to another.  Once the marine turned XO settled down, Koryan inclined his head toward the second second in command.

Koryan: What would you like?

Greaves: Response

As Koryan fulfilled the request, Roger lifted his glass.  Just before it reached his lips he offered -

Hartmann: Congratulations.

Greaves: Response

His answer didn’t come right away.  Instead, Roger sipped slowly at the drink, letting it burn in his mouth, then slowly down his throat before speaking again.

Hartmann: On your new assignment as First Officer of Oumuamua.  Oh it’s not official yet, but I have no doubt in my mind it will be.  As soon as we get to Earth, I’m handing in my resignation, and I’ve written up a recommendation for you to replace me.

Greaves: Response

-- --
Lt. Cmdr. Roger Hartmann
Acting First Officer