Cmdr. Karrod Niac - Blast From The Past (Part 2)

Karrod Niac

Oct 14, 2023, 1:53:33 AM10/14/23
to USS Ronin – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((Bridge, Deck 3, USS Ronin))

Karrod was thrown violently sideways as the ship lurched to port and then just as abruptly to starboard and collided with his XO's computer console with enough force to feel something crack in his midsection before he hit the ground.  He struggled to get his feet under him and pulled himself back into the Chair with a pained grunt.

The viewscreen flickered in and out as consoles all over the bridge began flickering, the whine of failing power systems audible over the din of the red alert klaxon.

Kel:  What was that?

Raga: Felt like something mistook our ship for a salt shaker. ::He grumbled:: Was that a Tholian weapon?

Karrod coughed and tasted blood in his mouth but pushed the pain aside, his mind entirely focused on his ship.

Niac:  Remember that exotic radiation I briefed you about?  I've got good reason to believe we just got introduced to a weaponized version of it.  Helm, report - can you stabilize the ship?  Damage report...what's our status?  Is the attacking still out there?

Alieth/Corelli/Kel/Carpenter/O'Connor/Dekas: Response

Karrod coughed hard and discovered with some measure of detached alarm that his palm was covered in dark red droplets when he pulled it away from his mouth.  An analytical part of his mind began noting the symptoms of shock and a probable punctured lung.

Raga: I don’t know about you, but I didn’t think our shakedown cruise would happen so literally. ::A brief smirk appeared beneath his stern expression:: If they’re not answering hails I think we should give them a response. A full phaser volley just off their starboard?

Karrod looked towards the viewscreen but realized the Tholian vessel was already breaking contact and rapidly departing, arcing away from the gas giant and out towards deep space.

Niac:  Sensors, project that vessel's probable course...although I have a guess.

Karrod coughed so hard he saw white dots blooming in his vision.

Niac:  Doctor...Kel...if...you have...a moment...

Alieth/Corelli/Kel/Carpenter/O'Connor/Dekas: Response

Raga: That’s still the only one on sensors? ::He glanced around the bridge for confirmation:: Which suggests either the rest are hiding to spring a trap, or this one is a scout, probably looking for that freighter.

Karrod grunted as the Doctor probed at his ribcage and summoned up years of boxing experience to remain cogent and focused on the moment.  The ship was in terrible danger and he simply didn't have time to be injured at the moment.

Niac:  XO, Chief Corelli, what the hell did that weapon do to us?  Commander Alieth, can you confirm the radiation signature matches that of the Sencha Wave?  Major Carpenter, advise the runabouts of the situation and advise them to complete their sweeps and return as soon as possible.

Raga/Alieth/Corelli/Kel/Carpenter/O'Connor/Dekas: Response

Karrod groaned as the medical tricorder trilled its distinctive alarm.  The look on his CMO's face was just as dark.

Niac:  XO...since I suspect the Doctor is about to order me to sickbay you have the conn.  Keep us at red alert until we're certain that was the only enemy vessel in the system.  ::Karrod winced as he stood and threw an arm around the Doctor's shoulders for support.::  Find that freighter and keep us in a defensive posture until we figure out our next move.

Raga:  Response

Karrod grunted as he made his way towards the turbolift, keeping his upper body as rigid as he could and trying to comport himself with some measure of dignity.  He didn't want the crew to worry any more than it already would at the sight of their Captain injured and collapsing on the bridge would do nothing for their morale.  He turned and looked to them all, putting what strength he had left into his voice.

Niac: They sucker-punched us in the first round.  I don't intend to let them do it again.  Check in with your people and make damage reports to the XO.  It'll take more than a shove to take the Ronin out of this fight.  Starfleet wanted us to find out what's going on out here...looks like we'll have a lot to tell them.

Any:  Response

Karrod turned and made his way into the turbolift.  He managed to stay fully on his feet until the doors swished closed and then promptly stumbled back against the wall, a wave of nausea and dizziness threatening to overwhelm him as the turbolift rushed to sickbay.
[Tags/End Act 1 for Niac!]

Commander Karrod Niac
Commanding Officer
USS Ronin - NCC-34523