Alira continued firing as she backed toward the Commander and helped him to cover. However, there were no more shots coming from the trees and she soon stopped shooting herself.
T’Fearne: Chief, can you move?
Tucker: ::grimacing:: Sorta?
Venn: How bad is it, sir?
T’Fearne: ::To Xilva:: Ensign, you have the med kit? Help the Chief.
Alira continued scanning for threats as T’Fearne and Xilva focused on helping the Commander.
Tucker: Well, it seems I’m bleeding, so maybe we should try and stop that.
Marsek: ::rummages through the medkit:: I'm going to fix you up as best I can, sir. Just please don't move right now.
T’Fearne: Chief, do you think you will be able to walk?
Tucker: ::he chuckled:: Well T’Fearne, I really don’t have a choice. Give me some pain meds, and I’ll manage. But I’m going to hold up the group, because I won’t be able to move very fast.
Marsek: ::presses the hypospray to Tucker's neck:: You'll feel better soon, sir. We don't have many doses, but this should keep you for the time being.
Venn: And we’ll move at your pace, sir. It’s no sense trying to rush if we’re just going to kill ourselves in the process. Besides, a slower pace may make it easier to locate whoever is shooting at us.
She turned to T’Fearne for confirmation. With the Commander injured, she was technically the next ranking person, but she felt like T’Fearne should be next in charge since she was the Assistant Chief of Security and Alira was her subordinate.
T’Fearne: We’ll have to risk the unknown, Sir. We’ve bought ourselves some time by crossing the ravine. Those hostiles will have to go around. Right now they are between us and the Teshio. It will take them a while to catch up. But they are coming and we have to move.
Alira nodded in agreement and returned to scanning the area around her, both with her tricorder and with the nightvision goggles.
T’Fearne: ::looking at the injury:: We can strap two branches together, make you a stretcher. We also need cover and to find a pathway into the jungle to reach the signal we detected. It can't be far.
Tucker: Well, thanks to the pain meds, I think I can walk. Could we fashion a crutch from the available flora? That might help take some of the weight off it. The fact it was his right him, on his dominant side, really pissed him off. He owed something or something, a good ole fashion ass-kicking.
Marsek: ::points to one of the thicker branches on the ground:: The trees here aren't harmful to us. Perhaps that branch may be of some use?
T’Fearne: Response
Venn: I’ll have to trust you, Marsek, but I keep hearing how dangerous this jungle is, especially the plants.
Tucker: I’m taking it; we didn’t pack a dermal regenerator? That might help a bit. It won’t fully heal it; that’ll have to happen back on the Ronin, but a quick fix wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibilities.
Marsek: I've got it. It won't be the best fix, but this should stop the bleeding. ::tries to crack a joke:: Maybe you'll have a cool scar? You should be okay to move now, sir.
T’Fearne: Response
As she stood guard, Commander Tucker pulled some kind of spheres from his pack.
Tucker: Hey, look what I brought. I’m not sure how well they’ll work, but I figure they’d help a bit. One of Lieutenant Morgan’s creations. They’re drones that will survey, map, and provide scans as well. And for the most part, they’re silent. Even if they don’t have much range in this slop, they’ll be of help.
Marsek: I've seen Lieutenant Morgan use those, sir. They helped us out in the Reef, even with all of the cosmic interference in the region.
Venn: That could certainly be useful.
T’Fearne: Response
Marsek went in search of a good crutch for the Commander and Alira threw T’Fearne a worried look. Whoever had shot them was still out there and would no doubt be back.
Marsek: Is this one all right? My scans confirmed it's solid, Chief. It shouldn't break on you.
T'Fearne/Tucker: Response
Marsek: ::hisses:: Don't touch the webs. Don't brush by them, don't even -breathe- on them, sirs. These things are ancient - no one's seen reticulophyta predatrix in this sector for nearly a hundred years!
Venn: Reti what? What are they and how are they dangerous to us?
T'Fearne/Tucker: Response
She looked up and spotted the webs. They were everywhere and dripping with water from the rain. There was a loud cry from some creature, and Alira spun her head to see what it was. A large, bird-like creature with unusual plumage took off in flight, brushing the cobwebs. Before she could blink, the web spread open and the bird was snagged by it and dragged down inside it.
Marsek: The common name is Ghostweb. And...you've just seen a demonstration of its abilities.
Venn: Yeah, let’s stay clear of that.
T'Fearne/Tucker: Response
Venn: We really should get moving. I’ll take the rear again, sir. Is that crutch going to be enough, or will you need assistance?
Tucker: Response
T’Fearne / Marsek: Response
She pulled her tricorder out and began to map the webs, trying to find a path that would lead them as far from them as possible, or at least as safely through them as she could manage.
Venn: We’re going to have to go near them for several hundred feet, and it’s going to be very narrow as we move.
Tucker / T’Fearne / Tucker: Responses