Lieutenant Commander Toryn Raga - First Briefing (Revision)

Rameses

Sep 22, 2023, 9:29:01 AM9/22/23
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((ooc: This revision is your XO correcting an oversight on his part with his last sim. Now, all should be well amongst the Ronin.))

((Briefing Room, Deck 3, U.S.S. Ronin))

After ordering the senior staff to the briefing room he made a stop at his own new quarters, long enough to change out of his dress whites and look in on Ishka and the twins before he headed to deck 3.

Even though it had been over a year since serving on the Chin’toka he found that his familiarity with the deck layout had returned as if it were second nature. Recalling his conversation with Captain Mei’konda, his experience on the Akira class had been one of the reasons he’s been offered the Xo position on the Ronin

Toryn was the first one in the briefing room and had enough time to replicate a random assortment of pastries, and beverages from the replicator. Something he’d picked up from his time serving under Brell.

When his CO entered the briefing room he reciprocated the nod with a smile and looked as their new CMO, entered the room.

Kel:  ::offering his hand::  Commander Niac, Commander Raga.  I'm Dr. V'len Kel.  It's a pleasure to meet you.

When it was his turn, Toryn shook the Trill’s hand and offered a warm smile.

Niac:  Pleasure to meet you Doctor...I'm sure we've could have some interesting conversations about the...unusual circumstances around our Joinings.  ::Karrod pointed towards his midsection and the quiescent Niac::  Regardless, happy to have you aboard.

Raga: Indeed. It is a pleasure to meet you as well, Doctor.

Kel:  Glad to be here.  Looking forward to working with you all.

Others began to file into the room and converse with one another, Kerrod excused himself.

Niac:  If you'll excuse me Doctor I think I see a few people who haven't gotten tired of hearing my voice today.

Raga: Likewise, Doc. Have a seat and partake in the refreshments if you like. I’m going to give said people some variety of voices to listen to. ::He smirked and followed Niac::

Corelli: Lieutenant Kammus Corelli, reporting as ordered.

Raga: Cool winds, Lieutenant. Glad to have you aboard. I’m sure you’ll have your work cut out for you when we leave spacedock.

Corelli: Response

Toryn excused himself from the engineer after gesturing to the refreshments that he’d put out as the engineer engaged their doctor in conversation.

Corelli: Making friends already doctor?

Any: Response

He looked at his CO intime to see the gesture to the replicator and, what he assumed was a request for coffee. He paused mid step when the tall human woman that waylaid the Trill came to sharp attention and unexpectedly saluted.  Toryn gave her a once over. Everything in her demeanor screamed Marine. He didn’t need his albeit brief experience as a Marine CO to see that.

Carpenter: Ma-::she takes a beat:: Lieutenant Commander Kirsty Carpenter, sirs. Chief of Security & Tactical.

There was also the uniform she was wearing.

Carpenter: I...haven't found my quarters yet, sirs. Apologies for...being out of uniform?

Niac:  Not necessary...::Karrod looked at her ramrod posture and felt his own back twinge:: At ease before you strain something, Major.  This transition has caught more than a few of us unprepared.  I'm sure we'll work out the particulars in the days ahead.

Raga: Cool winds, Major. At ease. ::He smiled:: As the Captain said, this was an unexpected transition for most of us.

Carpenter/Kel/Corelli: RESPONSE

To the Major's left an intense, diminutive Vulcan with piercing eyes stepped forward and addressed them with a characteristically flat introduction.

Alieth: Lieutenant Commander Alieth, CSO; reporting for duty, sirs. :: The Vulcan's eyes raised to the faces of the red-uniformed men with determination, as her hand was raised in the characteristic salute of her people.:: I am here to serve.

The Al-Leyan, who was considered a Vulcanoid by some at first glance given they shared pointed ears, nodded to the Vulcan. His reflective eyes regarded her evenly. The nictitating membranes blinked horizontally to clean his eyes. Toryn stepped to the side a moment to grab one of the coffee’s that he’d already replicated beforehand then returned to his CO’s side.

Niac:  Your service honors us, Lieutenant Commander.  ::He dropped his hand and nodded apologetically::  I understand Starfleet pulled you away from an extended leave for this assignment.  Based on what I've read in your personnel file, I'm glad they did.  You'll find the Alpha Isles full of the unusual and unexpected.  I suspect you might even describe the odd anomaly as 'Fascinating.'

He returned as a feline woman in blue stepped forward, offering a paw in greeting and trying to hide a nervously twitching tail.

Lorana: ::steps forward:: Uhm, Ensign Luxa Lorana ::moves forward and extends a paw to the Captain:: Reporting for duty, Captain.

Niac:  A pleasure, Ensign...you came highly recommended by your previous CO, Captain MacKenzie.  Having served with Addison I know she doesn't offer praise often or lightly...I'm sure you'll be quite an asset to the ship.

Raga: Cool winds, Ensign Lorana and Commander Alieth. Glad to have you aboard.

Carpenter/Kel/Lorana/Corelli: RESPONSE

It seemed their CO had decided to gesture towards the conference room's central table and began drawing the assembled officers to their seats. Toryn sat in the chair beside him and gently placed the coffee in front of the Trill.

Niac:  XO, lets get started.  I know half of these people haven't even made it to their quarters yet so I'll make this quick.

Alieth: Indeed Sir, I am gratified to see that you want us to skip straight to work.

Raga: Of course. Right to it then. ::He nodded::

Carpenter/Kel/Lorana/Corelli: RESPONSE

Alieth: I think you belong to my department, do you not? What is your specialty?

Lorana:  Response

((OOC:  Anyone else who wants to arrive and chat prior to the briefing is welcome to backsim themselves here but for the sake of simplicity I'm going to move this scene forward.))

It was a few minutes before everyone was able to sort themselves out and settle into chairs, for which they somehow had exactly the right number spaced around the unusually shaped oblong table.

Toryn smiled at the nod he’d received for his dutiful preparations and the CO tapped at a control embedded in the table, summoning a holographic map of the region to hover a meter or so above the table.

Niac:  People, welcome to the Alpha Isles.  I know that very few of you are familiar with this region so I'll give you a brief overview before we get down to the details of what Starfleet has handed us.  ::He tapped a few commands and zoomed in on their present location.::  This is Deep Space Thirty Three, Starfleet's newest frontier outpost.  It was established less than a year ago in response to a rapid deterioration in the stability of the region.  ::The map began to morph, colored blobs representing power blocs expanding and contracting to represent Starfleet's understanding of the political realities in the region.::  Several major powers, most notably the Sheliak Corporate and the Breen Confederacy, claim areas within this volume, while other large areas are either unaligned, unexplored or generally too dangerous to establish a long term presence in.

Toryn’s gaze was fixed to the map. While he had done some research prior to arrival he’d spent his entire career in the Par’tha Expanse. This was a whole new region to familiarize himself with.

Niac:  After this meeting you'll all be receiving detailed reports on the particulars of the region, the various power players, and some of the more recent alarming indicators that Starfleet Intelligence is keeping under close observation.  In short...it's a simmering cauldron of trouble.  Anything to add XO?

Raga:  ::He nodded and looked around the table:: Absolutely. Given the short notice given in pulling the Ronin from refitted mothballs that we’re going to have to give her a proper shakedown in the thick of things.

Karrod nodded and tapped away at the holocontrols.

Niac:  Thanks for bringing that up.  Over the last eighteen months we've been observing a radical change to the way the Sheliak operate in this region that suggests their central Corporate body has fractured badly.  It can no longer exert control over some of its fringe operations and as such they've become substantially more independent...and dangerous.  Which leads us to why the Ronin is here and, by association, our mission.

Raga:  She may be older, but this sort of thing is what the Akira class was built for.

Karrod chuckled entirely without mirth and gestured towards the hologram.

Niac:  Starfleet is...'concerned'...with the situation here.  So much so they feel that one starship, the Arrow, is no longer adequate to effectively patrol and secure Federation interests in this region.  As such, they've rushed this ship out of spacedock before its current refit was complete and assembled this crew from across the fleet to counter what they perceive as an intolerable threat to Federation security.  What that means for us is this; in three days we will clear our moorings from DS33 and conduct our shakedown trials in the Isles themselves, dealing with any issues as they arise while performing a reconnaissance in force of the Olidra system.  It is believed the Sheliak are massing resources there for purposes unknown.  Our mission is to get in, find out everything we can and get back out to report what we've found.

Karrod tapped and the hologram vanished.  He looked at each officer in turn and tried to gauge their mood.

Niac:  If you have questions or concerns, now's the time.  Everyone is welcome to speak up and I encourage you to be honest...we're going to be jumping into the deep end of the pool very soon.

Raga: Right. She’s a tough class of ship, but she hasn’t seen service in a while. Even with the refits we’re bound to run into issues. I’d like us to work as many of those out before we leave spacedock as possible.

Any:  Response

Raga: Since our crew was pulled from all over the fleet, we are going to have to get acquainted with one another quickly. It’s not ideal, but you’re all Starfleet Officers and are here because you earned it. ::He smiled at all of them:: Now, that being said we’re bound to also be short on some things, so every department, make sure that anything you might need that can’t be replicated, get your requisitions in before we leave Deep Space Thirty Three.

Any:  Response

Lieutenant Commander Toryn Raga

First Officer

USS Ronin NCC-34523