JP: Cmdr. Karrod Niac & Lt. Cmdr. Toryn Raga with VAdm. Makisig Corcino - The Longest Road - PT2

Rameses

Apr 15, 2024, 11:06:12 PMApr 15
to sb118...@googlegroups.com

((Lounge 47, USS Ronin, In Orbit of Ferenginar))

It was an odd thing, awards ceremonies. While he was even second officer of the Astraeus or before, he appreciated the recognition received during such ceremonies. Yet, he was reserved about them. He had always just done his job to the best of his ability, had been grateful others had recognized that and thought he’d earned to be awarded something for it. Everyone deserved recognition.

Now that he was an XO he understood why his best friend Serala had always seemed to revel in such ceremonies. Being able to recognize others and give them the awards they’d earned. Promotions, ribbons, medals. To see the expression on their face when they might have expected to not have done anything noteworthy. It was a silly notion, really. They were Starfleet officers. Everything they did was noteworthy, the ceremonies were to reflect that and showcase the ways they went above and beyond the baseline noteworthiness.

Toryn stood in a casual, at ease, stance with his arms behind his back just beside Karrod. His own dress whites pressed neatly. Their recently arrived guests were lurking nearby. He was certain, and he was curious to know why one of them in particular seemed to put his friend and CO on edge.

Niac: Thank you for joining me, everyone.I realize I’ve taken my life into my own hands by putting myself between a hungry, thirsty crew and the bar, so I’ll do what I can to make things quick.  I know our mission to Grus Beta Three became far more than a simple humanitarian mission and affected our crew quite deeply.  Even with that in mind, you performed your duties with a dedication and skill that did great honor to our vessel and to Starfleet as a whole.  As such, I’ve decided to issue a Captain’s Commendation for the entire crew in recognition of your efforts and sacrifices…congratulations.

Karrod smiled at the brief smatter of applause and then glanced down to the PADD on the lectern, a list painstakingly assembled after all the mission reports and log entries had been compiled and digested by the senior staff.  They’d briefly considered simply promoting everyone to Admiral and moving on with their lives, but Karrod suspected that would’ve run afoul of some regulation or another.

Niac: Firstly, I’d like to recognize our science team and the incredible work they’ve done, and continue to do, since we visited Grus Beta Three.  Lt. Cmdr. Alieth, Lt. Jg. Lorana, Ensign Beck…please step forward.

Toryn smiled at each of them and handed the rosewood boxes to Karrod for each of them.

Alieth/Lorana/Beck:  Response

Niac:  For your work first discovering Maleconite tunnels below the surface of Grus Beta Three, then developing that knowledge into a working theory of how the Alliance’s ‘Terrorforming’ process was meant to work, I’m awarding Lt. Cmdr. Alieth and Lt. Jg. Lorana with the Explorer’s Ribbon.  In addition, for your tireless work nurturing and protecting the lifeform we’ve come to know as Tetra, I am awarding all three of you the Scientific Discovery Ribbon.  Well done to all of you.

Raga: I’m proud of all of you.

Alieth/Lorana/Beck:  Response

Karrod smiled as the applause died down and nodded.

Niac:  Ensign Beck, don’t go anywhere.  Although the Ensign here only recently joined the Ronin, he has already demonstrated a level of commitment to this ship and crew that I consider exemplary.  He demonstrated that commitment on the surface when he, without hesitation or thought of harm to himself, used his body to shield Acting Ensign Rox Queen from weapons fire in the middle of a chaotic situation.  For this action, you have earned yourself the Good Conduct Ribbon and my personal thanks.  Congratulations Ensign Beck.

Toryn smiled at the doctor with whom he’d recently had a discussion about why a bounty hunter was stupid enough to come on board looking for him and handed the rosewood box with the ribbon over to Karrod.

Raga: Well deserved, doc.

Beck:  Response

Karrod chuckled as he glanced down at the list of awards he was slowly working through, and motioned to Ensign Beck to remain in position.

Niac:  As Mr. Beck had quite the busy mission, I must ask that he stay up here, but I’d like him to be joined by two other officers who demonstrated extraordinary poise and fortitude during some of the darkest moments our crew has faced lately.  Lt. Cmdr. Carpenter, Petty Officer First Class Gra’vel, please join us.

Karrod watched as both made their way to the small stage, a visible amount of hesitation present in their Horta officer, who had recently endured so much unexpected trauma.

Toryn had never served with a Horta before, but he had the utmost respect for them after what they’d done while in captivity.

Niac:  The three officers standing before you represent a broad spectrum of the Federation - different people, different backgrounds, different species - but they were united in bravery as they faced the prospect of violent imprisonment on the planet and in space above.  As such, all three of you will be receiving the ‘Prisoner of War’ ribbon in recognition of the ordeals you faced.  In addition, for her efforts to cripple the Lattice Alliance vessel and subsequent assistance in securing a high value Lattice Alliance asset for the Federation, Petty Officer First Class Gra’vel has been awarded the Starfleet Medal of Commendation.  Congratulations, Petty Officer.

The Al-Leyan’s brow furrowed ever so slightly. They were receiving a ribbon no one should have to, yet he himself had received at least once. He applauded along with the others.

Beck/Carpenter:  Response

Their Horta crewman accepted the medal gracefully, perching it atop their calcified carapace with a small shudder.

Gra’vel:  Gra’vel thanks you, Captain Niac.  Medal is very nice…Gra’vel will keep it in a temperature controlled case so that it does not melt in Gra’vel’s quarters!

As the laughter died down, Karrod glanced around the room, then back to his XO standing alongside.

The Al-Leyan’s smirk remained, though his brow raised slightly as he took the singular step forward requested.

Niac:  Mr. Raga, step forward.  Acting Chief Tucker, Counselor Dekas, please join him.

Karrod waited for the three to assemble and took his time, glancing towards each then back to his padd.

Niac:  In reviewing our mission reports I discovered a segment that seemed lifted right out of a holonovel but after a look at our sensor logs and some corroborating witness statements, I must conclude that the team led by Lt. Cmdr. Raga aboard the Runabout Pegasus, did in fact heroically blast their way through the side of a building from a hovering runabout and then vault into a hostage situation, taking swift and decisive action to protect the lives of civilians and crew alike.  For your heroism and your gallantry I am awarding the three of you the Silver Star.  Congratulations…your dedication to the safety of others is an example all of us can learn from.  ::Karrod pinned his XO with a smirk.::  Even if your propensity for property damage isn’t.

Raga: ::He grinned back:: The window was in the way. ::He said simply, then added:: Besides, it was Tuck that shot the window.

Tucker/Dekas:  Response

Smiling to each in turn as he handed over the awards, Karrod allowed the applause to roll on for a long moment.  When it had run its course, he turned back towards the crowd.

Niac:  Mr. Tucker, it’s your turn to stay put.  Ensign Is’kah, please join us.

Tucker/Is’Kah:  Response

Karrod watched as the recently married young Vulcan hybrid officer made her way through the crowd to take up a position next to Mr. Tucker and chuckled to himself again over the antics he’d been made privy to when Ferengi authorities and the managers of several establishments had left long, contradictory and accusatory messages for him, demanding compensation for the ruckus caused.  The note from the ‘Latinum & Lace’ in particular had used several colorful adjectives that Karrod had to look up.

Niac:  The crew is uniquely indebted to our Engineering team for keeping the Ronin flying, sometimes in environments for which it was hardly designed…::He shot a brief, accusatory look towards his XO::...and under the constant threat of battle damage.  Yet somehow the two of you have not only ensured the smooth operation of the Ronin, you’ve helped the ship perform to the same level of excellent as the rest of the crew sets as a standard.  For that, and with my profound personal thanks, I am awarding you both the Innovation Ribbon.  I’m also going to take this opportunity to make an announcement…after discussing his performance with the senior staff and receiving their unanimous consent, I am formally recognizing Lt. Jg. Tucker as the Ronin’s Chief Engineer.  Congratulations, Chief.

Toryn gave Karrod his best innocent smile when he noted the accusatory look directed his way, then handed the CO the boxes with the intended awards in them.

Raga: Congratulations, Chief. You’ve earned it.

Tucker/Is’Kah:  Response

Karrod offered each a firm handshake and his genuine appreciation before they headed back to their seats, and he looked back to his list and the quickly dwindling box of awards at the rear of the small stage.

Niac:  As important as the operation of the ship is to our ongoing duties, we would not be able to carry out our missions without the tireless efforts of those who dedicate themselves to our physical and emotional well-being.  To that end, Doctor Kel, Nurse Rox, and Counselor Dekas….please join me.

Kel/Rox/Dekas:  Response

Niac:  Lt. Cmdr. Carpenter, Lt. Cmdr. Dekas, Ensign Is’Kah, Ensign O’Connor, and Ensign Beck were all injured in the course of this mission and will be receiving a Purple Heart for their injuries.  I mention that now because, without the concerted effort of our medical support personnel, it’s very possible I would’ve been giving some of those awards out posthumously.

Karrod glanced at the officers in the crowd and acknowledged each one, but this time there was no explosion of applause, just a collection of grim looks of recognition.  As much as everyone assembled knew how dangerous their lives could be, the reminders of that danger were always challenging to face.

As the recipient of no fewer than four such medals, Toryn was quiet, despite the surrealness of being the one to award the Purple Hearts and not receive one.

Niac:  As many of you know, Crewman Rox has recently been granted a field promotion to Acting Ensign, not least for her excellent work protecting the sanctity of life during this last mission.  In addition, I am awarding you, Doctor Kel, and you, Acting Ensign Rox, the Life Saving ribbon.  Your dedication to the protection of others, even when your own self was at great risk, is in the spirit of the finest medical traditions.  Counselor Dekas, your further dedication to the psychological wellbeing of those we brought aboard, including de-escalating a dangerously violent situation, demonstrates why so many of the crew, myself included, have come to trust and respect your insights.  For that, I am awarding you the Unity Ribbon and, for their efforts before departing the ship, I have entered the same award into the service jacket of Lt. Jg. Hiro Jones.

Kel/Rox/Dekas:  Response

The applause and cheers had reached a nearly deafening pitch, but Karrod let them wash over the lounge, the whole of the crew celebrating their fellows in joyful unison.  Eventually he had to put his hands up to bring the crowd back towards some semblance of order.

[TBC]

==========================

Vice Admiral Makisig Corcino & Captain Nehir Sahin

Starfleet Command

I238705TZ0

&

Captain Karrod Niac