JP Yogan Yalu & Addison MacKenzie (embodying Auzell Yalu) — Where the action is, Part 2

Addison MacKenzie

Apr 23, 2021, 3:31:15 PM4/23/21
to sb118-re...@googlegroups.com

(( Symbiosis Institute Compound, Leran Manev, Trill — Tuesday afternoon ))

Yogan wondered how Auzell would react, considering how much her relationship with the Human woman had influenced the final few years of her life.  Posted to the same ship, Auzell and Gaiane had a whirlwind romance followed by a difficult period of on-again, off-again that lasted right up until the outbreak of the Dominion War, when everything changed.

Auzell’s eyes lit up and the mention of her old flame.

MacKenzie (as A. Yalu):  Did you talk to her?

Yalu:  She didn’t see me, and even if she had, there’s no way she’d have known I was Yalu.

Her expression fell a bit.

MacKenzie (as A. Yalu):  ...how does she look?

Yalu:  She’s still in Starfleet.  Was wearing captain’s pips when I saw her shopping on the promenade.  I know how much you meant to each other, and it was difficult to keep my distance.  I’d never come across someone who’d been in a relationship with a past host before.  ::beat:: I wasn’t prepared for it.

Auzell recounted her own experiences before popping a mischievous eyebrow.

MacKenzie (as A. Yalu):  ::mock sarcasm:: What do you mean you weren’t prepared to run into a previous host’s lover?

Yalu:  ::chuckles::  That’s right.  Best not to think too much about it.  Even though I wanted to go over and speak to her, I’m glad I didn’t.  It’s been twenty-four years since you died.  If I were Gaiane, I might not be eager to relive such a difficult time.

MacKenzie (as A. Yalu):  I didn’t think about it like that - you may be right… (long pause) Anyone special in your life?

Yalu:  No, there’s nobody in my life like that.

MacKenzie (as A. Yalu):  No one? At all??

Yalu:  No prospects, either.  I’m noticing a lot of couples lately, though.  Meidra–one of my friends from Resolution–she’s started seeing someone.  Even my father has met someone new.  Makes me wonder if I’m missing out on something.

Auzell rested her hand on his.

MacKenzie (as A. Yalu):  You’re not getting any younger, Yogan - you’ve gotta get in where the action is!

(( Timeskip – Nahx Café, Leran Manev, Trill – a few hours later ))

Addison sat across from Yalu munching on a chocolaty treat between sips of her raktajino. Her eyes were heavy and the rest of her facial features further expressed her exhaustion.

MacKenzie: Well that was certainly an experience. I can’t say I’ve ever experienced someone that closely before…

Having switched to tea after meeting Benim, Yogan decided the beverage was a little too subdued for his taste.  Once again cradling a cup of raktajino in his hands, he laughed at MacKenzie’s summation of her time with Auzell.

Yalu:  It’s weird, isn’t it?  ::beat::  You know, Commander, it’s kind of strange.  After each of these conversations, when I receive the memories again, they come back different.

Addison pursed her lips and cocked her head slightly.

MacKenzie: What do you mean?

Yalu:  It’s hard to explain.  They’re… more distinct.  Easier to distinguish from the others.  I wonder if that’s permanent, or if it’s just a side effect of having the memories taken and put back.

MacKenzie: It could also be that you - Yogan, you - has a much more vivid experience of these hosts. What’s something you learned about Auzell?

Yalu:  One of the things I didn’t realize about Auzell was how much fun she was.  I think I would have enjoyed serving with her.

Addison held up her mug.

MacKenzie: Sounds like you got your money’s worth, Lieutenant.

TBC

Lieutenant Commander Addison MacKenzie, M.D., Ph.D., FASFS (embodying Auzell Yalu)
First Officer
USS Resolution
V239601AM0

and