JP - LtJG Aine Sherlock, Lt Meidra Sirin, and Cmdr Addison MacKenzie - Untethered, Part 3

Addison MacKenzie

Jun 29, 2021, 4:08:41 PM6/29/21
to sb118-re...@googlegroups.com

((Brig, Deck 235, Deep Space 224))

Aine had opted to exercise her right to remain silent as the Security Officer’s placed the pair in a cell and activated the force field. As the officers left, Aine sat on the edge of the hard bed in the cell. She planted her elbows in her knees and her face in her hands.

Sherlock: I’m so embarrassed.

Meidra glanced around, a bit bored seeing there were no other guests in the cell. There were other, larger ‘drunk tanks’ nearby that she vaguely recalled exploring with Alieth, but this smaller room was set up for fewer people. She observed their surroundings, an appraising eye on the decor.

Sirin: They’ve painted the walls since the last time I was here. Nice.

Sherlock: ::raising an eyebrow:: Well, the only time I’ve been in a cell was to learn how to escape from one. Unfortunately I left my combadge in my hotel room.

Sirin: And you a security officer too.

Sherlock: Do you think they’ll tell the Captain or Commander MacKenzie about this?

Aine felt like a child who’d be caught with her hand in the cookie jar.

Sirin: I’d be surprised if they didn’t. I’m honestly surprised they weren’t already here waiting to frown at us.

Sherlock: Great. I feel like I’m gonna be sick.

After what seemed like an eternity, but was probably no more than an hour, the one Meidra had called by name came into the cellblock, with Commander MacKenzie in tow.

Sirin: Good to see you’re still detaining blameless patrons of the starbase.

Officer Simmons: ::glaring at Meidra:: Oh, don’t act so ungrateful.

Addison shot the security officer a look that might have melted part of his face off, before turning to face the two in the cell. She’d been brought up to speed with the investigation, but after making it a point that officers not get arrested during shore leave, she felt that she couldn’t live with herself if she didn’t give these two a hard time about their current predicament.

MacKenzie: ::sarcastically, to Meidra:: I’m shocked to see you here again...

Meidra raised her hands in surrender, not bothering to hide her grin.

Sirin: Still not my fault. The male attacked a colleague and I protected her from harm. I mean, she let Iljor rescue me from my grandfather last time we were here…and I’ll be quiet now.

Sherlock: Commander, I’m so sorry. I really am, but…

MacKenzie: You, on the other hand, Lieutenant Sherlock - this is quite a surprise. But I don’t have any respect for officers who feel the need to resort to assault.

Officer Simmons: You’ll be happy to know that other witnesses have corroborated your story. Lieutenant Martinson is conscious and admitted fault.

Sherlock: ::looking back and forth between Simmons and MacKenzie:: So, we’re free to go?

Officer Simmons: Well…

Meidra did not like the look on his face. In fact, besides Aine, Meidra was not fond of most security personnel. They tended to be bullies. She was grateful to know one who was not. Her fingers twitched.

Sherlock: Well what?

Officer Simmons: Lieutenant Martinson, he’s insisting that you speak to him.

Sirin: Does he have a concussion? Lieutenant Sherlock made it clear to him that conversation was not agreeable to her.

Officer Simmons: For once, we agree. I told him it’s stupid, but he’s insisting. So, what do you want me to tell him?

MacKenzie: Lieutenant, you don’t have to do anything you don’t want to - and after this, no one could blame you. It’s your call.

A wave of relief came over Aine. Despite her reputation, it appeared that Addison wasn’t the Tin Man everyone thinks she is. She thought about it, and Addison was right. Meidra was right. She didn’t have to do anything he wanted her to. She could break free and not be tethered by the memories and feelings.

Sherlock: Tell him ::beat:: tell him I said no. That if we ever talk again, it’ll be on my terms, not his.

Officer Simmons: Ok, I’ll let him know. You’re free to go.

Sirin: He’s not waiting outside, is he?

Officer Simmons: Out!

End Scene

Lt. Martinson simmed by LtJG Aine Sherlock

Lieutenant Junior Grade Aine Sherlock

Security Officer

USS Resolution

R239712AS0

Lt Meidra Sirin

Counseling Officer

USS Resolution

R923707MS0

Commander Addison MacKenzie, M.D., Ph.D., FASFS

First Officer

USS Resolution

V239601AM0