Lieutenant Etan Iljor - Full Of Awe and Grace and Truth

Michael Meir-Wright

Nov 16, 2021, 6:47:44 PM11/16/21
to sb118-re...@googlegroups.com

(( Promenade, Deep Space 224 ))

A somewhat familiar face came into view a little further along the Promenade. Iljor did not know Vitor Silveira all that well, sharing only the politest of small talk with the Tactical Officer. They had not been assigned together on a task and that was how Iljor tended to get to know somebody. Given that he was now a Chief Science Officer- that methodology seemed rather antiquated. Catching Silveira’s eye, he offered the man a cursory nod and a small smile.

Etan: Hello, Lieutenant. ::he said politely, clasping both hands behind his back.::

Silveira: Lieutenant Etan, it's good to see you.

On the few occasions the two men had spoken on Risa, Silveira had made the common mistake of referring to Iljor as ‘Lieutenant Iljor’. It was an easy slip of the tongue and just as easy to correct. Iljor thought about mentioning it but it Silveira had enough “on his plate” as some members of his species were prone to saying. So instead, he settled for small talk.

Etan: How are you doing?

Iljor suspected it was a loaded question, knowing full wel that the human’s career hung in the balance over his actions on the Resolution’s final mission. He tried not to wince at his own stupidity.

Shrugging his shoulders, the tactical officer tilted his head as he replied.

Silveira: Admittedly I could be better. But it's going, thank you for asking.

Etan: May I join you? ::he said, pointing to a vacant seat.::

Silveira: By all means, please do. By the way, did you enjoy the dish I prepared?

Iljor took the vacant seat opposite Silveira’s.

Etan: Yes, thank you. The chicken was cooked to perfection.

Iljor’s reply elicited a proud smile from Silveira.

Silveira: Thank you. By the way, congratulations on your promotion. But if you wish to skip formalities just call me Sil. ::He went for a sip of his coffee and leaned back.:: So Lieutenant now that you Chief Science officer you should be eager to get back out there?

Now it was Iljor’s turn to beam proudly. It had still not sunk in yet that he was going to be the Chief Science Officer of whatever ship the Resolution’s survivors ended up assigned to. Indeed, his stomach fluttered every time he thought about his new rank and assignment.

And despite the trials and the horrors of their visit to Rinascita Station, Iljor was looking forward to cruising through the great void once again. In his current state- between assignments- he felt unmoored and rudderless, drifting aimlessly.

Etan: ::he nodded at the same time he caught the attention of a passing waiter:: I am. And thank you. The promotion was a surprise. ::the waiter approached the table with an expectant look.:: Hi, could I order a mug of deka tea with a small dash of jumja syrup? Thank you.

The waiter nodded and moved off to sort out the order.

Sil smiled again and for a moment his eyes took on the glimmering aspect of somebody lost in pleasant memories.

Silveira: I am sure you will manage Iljor. If you weren’t talented or hard working enough you would never get the spot. What have you seen of interest in the Borderlands? I had quite a view in one of my missions on the Juneau. We surveyed a black hole circling a quasar.

A black hole circling a quasar sounded fascinating even if Iljor’s specialty lay with archaeology and anthropology. Of the those- he had been able to put the latter to good use; the former less so, alas. There simply was not much demand for an archaeologist in The Borderlands.

Etan: I was with the Resolution for nine months before she was lost. ::it still stung to say it.:: It was quite an eye opening experience. I assisted with an anthropological study of two neighbouring- and antagonistic- races, surveyed a rogue planet on the outskirts of the Briar Patch and of course, suffered through a Q’s temporal loop.

Iljor was still no closer to understanding that last mission, where he had died over and over again only to be brought back to life each time by the sadistic omnipotent entity. He longed to know just what “CloQ” had gotten from it but suspected that the truth would probably drive him insane.

As Sil leaned forward with a look of intrigue, the waiter returned with Iljor’s beverage.

Silveira: Really, that is interesting.

Iljor raised an eyebrow curiously.

Etan: ‘Interesting’ is not the word I would use. oO Traumatic maybe… Oo ::beat:: The Borderlands seem to be wild and untamed. They have been for as long as there has been a recorded history of the region. The Orion Syndicate had a major presence here 200 years ago, Klingon ships used to use the region to hide from Federation patrols, the Celendi Nebula is a mystery all of its own and most of it is still uncharted territory.

His thoughts turned to the mystery of the shuttle craft he and Yogan had discovered on a routine mapping mission of the Celendi Nebula’s outer boundary and the strange discrepancies that had cropped up during their initial investigation. With everything that had gone wrong recently, it had slipped Iljor’s mind until that moment. He made a mental note to check in with Yogan about it.

Silveira: Response.

Etan: There’s still a lot we don’t know about the area to be honest. The Resolution had barely ‘scratched the surface’ so to speak before she was lost. For a science officer, The Borderlands is a dream come true.

Silveira: Response.

Etan: To be honest, I hadn’t given it much thought. Like I said, the promotion to Chief Science Officer was a surprise and it still hasn’t sunk in yet. ::he paused for a second.:: But I suppose you’re right- I will be in charge of our scientific endeavours in the region.

A fluttering- somewhere between nervousness and excitement- took a hold in his stomach and he drunk the jumja-infused deka tea to calm it.

Silveira: Response.

Etan: I hope we get word soon about our new assignment. I hate all this waiting around. ::he added with the slightest hint of a frown.::

Silveira: Response.

Tag!

Lieutenant Etan Iljor

Chief Science Officer

TO BE CONFIRMED

C239203TW0

Life is full of awe and grace and truth, mystery and wonder. I live in that atmosphere.”

Dion DiMucci.