Lt. J. G. Silveira: Looking ahead.

Bruno Abreu

Nov 17, 2021, 2:07:15 PM11/17/21
to USS Resolution – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

OOC: this takes place before Sil’s meeting with Commander MacKenzie

IC:

((Deep Space 224, Promenade))

Vitor was taking a coffee and was joined by the recently promoted, and department head, Lieutenant Etan. He motioned for him to sit.

Silveira: By all means, please do. By the way, did you enjoy the dish I prepared?

Etan: Yes, thank you. The chicken was cooked to perfection.

He smiled proudly. It was good to feel appreciated, especially now.

But Sher’s words still echoed in his mind. He would try and find a befitting conversation topic just for the Lieutenant.

It would be like a science experience. Fitting that the new Chief Science Officer would be his guinea-pig.

Silveira: Thank you. By the way, congratulations on your promotion. But if you wish to skip formalities just call me Sil. ::He went for a sip of his coffee and leaned back.:: So Lieutenant now that you Chief Science officer you should be eager to get back out there?

Etan: ::he nodded at the same time he caught the attention of a passing waiter:: I am. And thank you. The promotion was a surprise. ::the waiter approached the table with an expectant look.:: Hi, could I order a mug of deka tea with a small dash of jumja syrup? Thank you.

The waiter nodded and moved off to sort out the order.

Vitor smiled and recalled his years as department head. It was daunting when Kali made him Chief Tactical Officer in the 118. Ops was a world in itself, and he always felt better when he headed the Tactical department in the ship’s he served afterwards.

Silveira: I am sure you will manage Iljor. If you weren’t talented or hard working enough you would never get the spot. What have you seen of interest in the Borderlands? I had quite a view in one of my missions on the Juneau. We surveyed a black hole circling a quasar.

Etan: I was with the Resolution for nine months before she was lost. It was quite an eye opening experience. I assisted with an anthropological study of two neighbouring- and antagonistic- races, surveyed a rogue planet on the outskirts of the Briar Patch and of course, suffered through a Q’s temporal loop.

Vitor leaned forward as he listened to Iljor, whom the waiter served.

Silveira: Really, that is interesting.

Iljor raised an eyebrow.

Etan: ‘Interesting’ is not the word I would use. ::beat:: The Borderlands seem to be wild and untamed. They have been for as long as there has been a recorded history of the region. The Orion Syndicate had a major presence here 200 years ago, Klingon ships used to use the region to hide from Federation patrols, the Celendi Nebula is a mystery all of its own and most of it is still uncharted territory.

It reminded him of the Aavaro Wilds where the Juneau was stationed. He recalled his last mission there, when they went to Ring 42 to aid the USS Grace Hopper

It felt like a lifetime ago.

He managed to keep those thoughts at bay and kept focused on the conversation with Iljor.

Silveira: I thought at least part of the region would be charted.

Etan: There’s still a lot we don’t know about the area to be honest. The Resolution had barely ‘scratched the surface’ so to speak before she was lost. For a science officer, The Borderlands is a dream come true.

Vitor nodded and smiled. It certainly looked like it. He didn’t knew what the future hold to him, but he wished all the best for Iljor, now that he had more responsibility over his shoulders.

Silveira: Can I assume you already have some projects and plans for further research? Considering your position now, surely that is part of your dutty, right?

Etan: To be honest, I hadn’t given it much thought. Like I said, the promotion to Chief Science Officer was a surprise and it still hasn’t sunk in yet. ::he paused for a second.:: But I suppose you’re right- I will be in charge of our scientific endeavours in the region.

He smiled as Iljor drank his tea, in a somewhat nervous way. He finished his coffee and put it aside.

Silveira: Don’t be scared by the responsibility. I am sure you'll do well.

Etan: I hope we get word soon about our new assignment. I hate all this waiting around. ::he added with the slightest hint of a frown.::

Vitor lost his smile at Iljor’s words. He wasn’t yet sure what would happen. What would be his sanction? Was he staying with the crew in the new ship?

The new ship… He had a feeling of what ship Kali would get. The Fleet wouldn't give her some rest, for sure.

Perhaps it would be best not to stay, if it was that one.

But forcing himself to follow a different path, he smiled to Iljor.

Silveira: I am sure you will be enjoying the office of Chief Science Officer soon. And most likely on a bigger ship.

Etan: response

Vitor frowned but nodded and winked.

Silveira: I have a… Hunch, a feeling...

Etan: response

Vitor leaned back. It was the logical conclusion. Knowing Kali, knowing the Fleet, he was guessing a good seventy-five percent chance of being right.

And if he was, and if he went as well how would he react?

But that would be a question for later, much later if he was right.

Silveira: Some years around and logical thinking. ::He tilted his head grinning to Iljor.:: You don’t have a clue?

Etan: response

Vitor leaned forward, lowering his voice. He wondered if Iljor could figure it out for himself.

Silveira: It might be a ship you are more familiar with than you think. You are smart enough to know what I mean. ::He leaned back taking a more serious look.:: We will have to see what the future holds.

Etan: response

TAG/TBC

Lt. J. G. Vitor S.Silveira

Tactical Officer