JP - Flt. Cpt. Kalianna Nicholotti and Lt. Cmdr. Addison MacKenzie - Well Deserved - Part 2

Marissa Jeffrey

Dec 8, 2020, 7:26:29 PM12/8/20
to Resolution Sim Group

((Observation Deck, Deep Space 224))

As Treetus returned to the crowd, Addison picked up the PADD with the next award on it, not wanting to forget anyone.

MacKenzie: Lieutenant MacNemar, Lieutenant Delri’ise, Lieutenant Sirin, Ensign T’Suran - please come to the stage.

Before Kali started reading, Addison took a moment to look at the officers in front of her, quickly recalling each of their contributions to the previous mission with pride.

Nicholotti: The situation we were called into was not an easy one for any side. The complexity of a single government with its troubles is enough, but to add in the Klingons, the Federation and a coup all at the same time and you tend to get a recipe for disaster. But, we did not see disaster. On the contrary, through exemplary work by each of you, we not only avoided a major conflict, but we were able to help the Da’al remain within their principles of neutrality.

Kali reflected on the depth of that statement. They hadn’t won anything for the Federation, nor had they necessarily fought off Klingons who really wanted something. In the end, they simply offered a kind of stability that might not have existed otherwise.

Nicholotti: Words are powerful. To each of you, who helped in this endeavor, I award the Diplomacy Ribbon.

Addison pinned the Diplomacy Ribbon on each of their jackets, shaking hands as she went.

MacKenzie: Congratulations to you all!

MacNemar/Delri’ise/Sirin/T’Suran: Responses

Any: Response

Smiling at each in congratulations as the group left the stage, Kali waited for the last group-award that would be given.

They’d reached their final list of the night. Picking up the PADD, Addison read the list of names.

MacKenzie: Lieutenant Knight, Lieutenant MacNemar, Commander Adea - please join us on stage.

As soon as each officer was present and settled, Kali began to speak.

Nicholotti: The Resolution holds a special place for me, as I began my journey in Starfleet here. As officers who helped bring her back to life and who walked into the unknown with her next to me on a new mission, I hereby award you the Legacy Ribbon.

Words had never rung truer than those she spoke. Never again did she think that she would see the center chair of another starship. And yet, here she was, aboard the one ship that brought her full circle. Those that started off on this adventure with her deserved more than just her unspoken gratitude. Hopefully this ribbon provided that.

For an officer to leave a post to assist in the recommissioning of another vessel was a difficult decision, one with which Addison could relate. Her choice to leave her position as CMO on the Thor to assume the duties as the Resolution’s XO was one that weighed heavily on her, but one that she didn’t regret.

Pinning the Legacy Ribbons on each of their jackets and shaking hands as she went, MacKenzie took the opportunity to look each of them in the eyes as she moved from officer to officer, thankful for their contributions on the Resolution’s senior staff.

MacKenzie: On behalf of Captain Nicholotti and myself, you have our sincere thanks. Congratulations to you three!

MacNemar/Knight/Adea: Response

Any: Response

Kali then reached into the boxes that were left and took a moment to ensure her first officer was also recognized.

Nicholotti: It’s not often that those in command get the recognition they should, and yet, I could not serve without the expertise of those around me. I am honored to have you aboard and it is my great pleasure to award you with the Legacy and Diplomacy Ribbons as well. You have proven your ability to lead under pressure and I look forward to watching you grow in your role.

With a smile that conveyed her gratitude, Kali took the ribbons and pinned them to her XO before stepping back and starting a round of applause for the woman.

MacKenzie: Thank you, Captain.

Kali leaned in slightly so that only the two of them would hear.

Nicholotti: Thank you, for all you do.

MacKenzie: Always happy to lend a hand, ma’am.

Standing back up, Kali looked out into the crowd with a slightly different smile. They had yet two more awards, which she would take even greater pleasure in granting. There never was anything quite like a promotion.

Addison nodded to Kali and picked up the pair of boxes.

Nicholotti: Would Ensigns Sirin and Yalu please step back up here.

Addison watched as the Resolution’s counselor and helmsman stepped forward. She’d come to respect Yalu during their time together, but her faith in the counselor’s judgment had been knocked down a few pegs given the junior officer’s recent incarceration. Nevertheless, she didn’t want to see the counselor’s record tarnished by a minor infraction and preferred to handle her discipline internally.

As the two arrived, Kali focused on the helmsman first.

Nicholotti: Ensign Yalu, you have served with distinction despite the trials we have faced. Never backing down, you embody what it means to be a Starfleet Officer. It is clear that your future is a bright one and we are all better for being a part of it. Therefore, it is my biggest honor to promote you to Lieutenant JG, and bestow upon you all of the rights and privileges therein.

As Yalu stepped forward, MacKenzie pinned the hollow pip on his collar and shook his hand.

Yalu: Response

When Yalu returned to Sirin’s side, it was now her turn to step forward.

Then, Kali turned towards the counselor.

Nicholotti: Ensign Sirin, few officers would be able to face some of the situations you have faced with the grace and distinction you have done so with. Your experience and skill in your role has offered both the crew of the ship and those we meet along the way answers and resources that wouldn’t otherwise have existed. As we learn and grow, having you along for the journey will only serve to ensure that we make it together.

It wasn’t about never making mistakes, after all, it was about learning and growing. Despite the news Kali had learned shortly before the ceremony, she was certain that lessons were learned and perhaps the grace under pressure that the counselor had shown on the Da’al homeworld would translate.

Nicholotti: Therefore, it is my pleasure and a great honor to promote you to Lieutenant JG, and bestow upon you all of the rights and privileges of that rank.

MacKenzie, refusing to visually show any animosity toward the officer smiled, pinned the hollow pip to her collar and shook her hand.

Sirin: Response

Kali stepped back and looked at two of her newest Lieutenant JGs with a welcoming smile.

MacKenzie: Congratulations to you both!

Any: Response

Nicholotti: Congratulations!

With the awards come to an end, Kali waited for the two to return to the crowd before speaking one last time.

Nicholotti: That concludes our ceremony, but the banquet continues! Please enjoy yourselves tonight, and tomorrow I will see you all back aboard the Resolution!

The lights changed, returning the darkness to the stage and the starry sky behind it. Kali left the raised platform behind and made her way out into the crowd and back towards the food, quite proud of her officers and crew.

[End]

--

Fleet Captain Kalianna Nicholotti

Commanding Officer

USS Resolution

R238605KN0

&

Lieutenant Commander Addison MacKenzie, M.D., Ph.D., FASFS

First Officer

USS Resolution

V239601AM0