MSNPC Grendle - You're still here. Sigh.

Meidra Sirin

Sep 24, 2021, 1:39:47 PM9/24/21
to USS Resolution – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Science department, Rinascita Station ))

The Dokkaran scientist was rapidly growing weary of the forced harmony, and was getting a headache. Dokkarans had an equilibrium with the universe that could not be replicated by hearty laughs and veiled threats. He would have to deal with Careswell eventually, but not today, not when so many other things were taking precedence. He would bide his time. For now, these Star Fleeters were still talking. They seemed to have a sense of harmony lacking in the station crew, and the scientist found himself wondering if he should have followed his instincts and joined Star Fleet when he’d had the chance.

Adyr: Yes, I look forward to seeing it. So far the station is quite unique. How long have you been here?

Time didn’t seem to have much meaning to Grendle. He was 175 years old and in 25 years would be eligible to join Ceata’s council of elders. Then he could bring all of the knowledge he’d gleaned from living off world back to his people, and be at peace with his own kind once more. He glanced at Careswell. If he didn’t skewer someone with a sharp stick before then.

Grendle: Since the beginning of the project. It has been a most...unique experience thus far. When I am allowed to do my work, it pleases me greatly to learn more of our experiment. Knowledge paired with intelligence is a boon to be respected. Not all have this capability.

He did his best not to look at Careswell as he said this. He heard a few hungry voices in his head and remembered that he needed to feed the plants in his greenhouse soon or they’d go looking for food on their own. That never ended well. Some of the crew still became hysterical to see plant life moving under its own power which was ridiculous, as Grendle himself was a plant. He sighed, wondering about his life choices.

Careswell: I’ve been here for sixteen long, lonely months.  My position doesn’t permit me to bring my family, so my hubby Kenny lives on Starbase 118 with our kids, Dottie and Kenny, Jr.  I don’t get to see them nearly as often as I’d like.  That’s why I’ve gotten so close to the crew here.  I’m not exaggerating when I say it is a family.  ::beat::  There are a couple more of us, besides Grendissimus here, who’ve been here since the project began.

Grendle nodded. There was nothing false in the man’s statements.

Sherlock: That is some time together. You all must be very close...

Yellir: Ooh?! That long? I would never have guessed! Everything looks brand new, even the environment is quite sterile and incredibly clean.

Careswell:  Heh, as the saying goes, when you’re in the business of making water, you learn to keep things tidy.

Etan: response

Yellir: I do suppose that’s the benefit of having a smaller crew, everything is often much more manageable on a smaller scale.

Grendle almost smiled at the pink one. She exuded a sense of order to the proceedings with her logical observations. The idea of inviting her for bone marrow grew stronger. He had the impression that they could learn much from each other. The other scientist with her seemed to be equally fascinating. It had been a long time since the Dokkaran had been near actual scientists and not untrained stragglers hired for their silence.

Grendle: In truth, there are times where I believe being alone on the station would be most beneficial. ::turns to Careswell:: It would certainly make your job easier to only protect one being here.

Careswell: :half-chuckles, gestures to Grendle::  Heh, this guy, am I right?  I tell ya, Grendo, you’re a rare kind.  I love ya, buddy.  ::grins::  I swear, I would just die if anything ever happened to you.

Grendle did roll his eyes at this. The man tried to be intimidating, but only served to look as though he was a nervous man out of his depth now that there was a real problem to be solved. He recalled one of the tenets of his people. That which disrupts the harmony of the universe must be eliminated. He took a deep breath. He would be prepared to honor the beliefs of the Lady if needed.

Sherlock: ::under her breath:: Heavens forbid anyone else gets hurt on your watch.

Adyr: I'm sure with you on the case that's not going to happen then. ::Smiling.:: It seems like everything is well in order.

Etan: Response?

Yellir: Was this station always dedicated to water reclamation? Or did it serve some other purpose previously?

Grendle: The station is doing exactly as it was meant to do. Anything other would be illogical.

Adyr: Good to know. An entire station dedicated. Must be very efficient.

Etan: response

Sherlock: So it's a singularly focused research station...hm.

It was. And the focus was more than these visitor’s could ever imagine. If the project succeeded, his people would have vast resources throughout the universe. It was a most harmonious thought.

Careswell:  Well, what are you waiting for, Grendsetter?  Let’s show these Starfleet folks how we Rinasciters make a cup of tea!

Grendle’s pale blue eyes regarded the man as if he was a small insect. He thought the entire purpose of this visit was to get the visitors back to their own ship due to deadlines and such. Harmony must be maintained, this imbalance of purpose was not serving anyone, and soon, things would begin to unravel.

Grendle: I’m sure that they have not come all this way to drink tea. They must be getting ready to leave our station, seeing that all is well.

And the fact that the drinking water was currently at an all time low seeing how the experiments were getting more complex. Grendle muttered to himself, wondering when he’d be allowed to get back to his research.

Adyr: What is normally done with the water?

Sherlock: I'm good, not thirsty really.

Yellir / Etan:  response

Careswell:  You’re gonna love this.  Best water you’ve ever tasted, I promise you.  I swear, we could bottle it.  “Grendel Spring,” anyone?

Sherlock: ::pointing to the device:: Everything ok, Chief?

Careswell: response

Sherlock: ::stepping closer to Careswell:: If you need help with anything, just let me know.

Grendle almost laughed outright. If they only knew the extent of the help needed.

Adyr: Indeed. We are here to observe and assist as necessary. While it is true that your station's distress call brought us here, we are happy to offer whatever assistance we can in other areas while we are here. And learn at the same time.

Yellir / Etan:  response

Careswell: response

Adyr: I'm sure that your person is in great hands. We've sent over our own doctor to assist. We are here to understand this.

Grendle: Understanding is the first step in harmony. You honor your superiors.

Careswell /Yellir / Etan / Sherlock:  response

Adyr: So how about that tea?

Careswell / Yellir / Etan / Sherlock:  response

Grendle: I’m certain that Mr. Careswell is well versed in the making of refreshments. If you will excuse me, I will take these two scientists to my lab so that they can witness the making of water.

Careswell: response

Adyr: response

Grendle nodded, not trusting his voice.

Yellir / Etan / Sherlock: responses