Ensign Yogan Yalu — Thoughtless winter

jkpbem

Oct 13, 2020, 7:48:18 PM10/13/20
to USS Resolution – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Mess Hall, Deck 2, USS Resolution – 0100 hours ))

For the first time in his life, Udaro had gone a full night and day completely disconnected from the thoughts of others.  Here, with his feet firmly planted on this desolate world, he felt truly free.  As the planet’s only inhabitant, he felt in communion with the solitude, as if it were an entity of its own, with a personality, and hopes, and dreams.  Here, with the planet as a guide, Udaro would learn to be himself once again.

Yogan dropped the PADD on the table and rolled his eyes.  Thoughtless Winter had been an absolute bust.  He had barely made it through the first four chapters before the saccharine dialogue and flowery descriptions of Udaro’s year of solitude set Yogan's blood sugar levels to spiking.  How had he allowed the first novel in the series to have so completely captivated his imagination?

Noticing the late hour, Yogan acknowledged the double indignity that he’d stayed up most of the night to read a terrible book.  Rather than push through the fatigue with another round of coffee, he pocketed his PADD and made for his quarters, willing to accept however many hours of sleep he could squeeze in.

(( Bridge, Deck 1, USS Resolution – the next morning))

There weren’t many.  Having finally fallen asleep sometime after 0200 hours, Yogan was up once again barely two hours later, and by 0430, he was back in the Mess Hall having a quick breakfast before beginning his early shift on the bridge.  As the turbolift made its brief journey from deck two to deck one, Yogan straightened his uniform jacket and felt his collar to make sure his ensign’s pip was on the correct side.  He didn’t want anyone thinking he got dressed in the dark, even though he did.

Nicholotti: Are we ready for this?

MacKenzie: Response?

Nicholotti: Good morning.

Yalu:  Good morning, Captain.  Commander.

Yogan headed forward toward the helm, and waited politely to take over for the PO1 who had helmed the night shift.

Nicholotti/MacKenzie:  response(s)?

After he logged into the helm console, Yogan pulled up the star chart for the sector of space in which the Meranuge system was situated, as well as Lieutenant MacNemar’s sensor probe telemetry.  With their arrival in Da’al space imminent, there would probably be a fair bit to digest, so it was best to get an early start.

Yalu:  I think we are as prepared as we can be, considering the unknowns.  It’s too bad no one from Temporal Investigations is aboard.  They’re good at anticipating possible futures.

Nicholotti/MacKenzie/Anyone:  response(s)?

Tag/TBC

Ensign Yogan Yalu
Helm Officer
USS Resolution NCC-78145

Justin
D238804DS0

Night, field of stars above us.  I pick one and name it for you, and all who are to come.