JP: LtJG Aine Sherlock and PNPC Eeyu Lim: Letting Go, Part 2

Meidra Sirin

Sep 2, 2021, 10:46:31 PM9/2/21
to USS Resolution – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

Eeyu: I see. So you were told that there were beliefs without fully embracing the words of those around you. That would suggest that you made your own decision rather early in your life.

Sherlock: I guess then, that I never really did have faith.

Aine let her own statement sink in for a moment. Realizations like this and the one she had prior with Addison only seemed to bring more questions rather than relief.

Eeyu: Tell me, what do you think faith would do for you? Bring you some sort of peace, knowing that you will always exist after this life? Or do your questions run deeper?

Sherlock: The thing is, this makes it more confusing. For instance, if there’s nothing beyond this life for me to believe in, then what’s the point? What does what I’m doing now mean?

And in that, Aine realized exactly what the root of her feelings were. Purpose.

The sounds of the festival were muffled by the heavy doors of the temple, but Lim could hear the voice of his people rise and fall like the waves of the Holana River, a place that some felt was nearer to the Prophets than the temples themselves. His time here grew short, but he did not wish to leave this young one with no sense of their true path.

Eeyu: It is true that Bajorans embrace their spirituality. It brings a sense of completeness that guides us in our journey through life.

Sherlock: Yes! Exactly. Like, you have the Prophets. If I don’t have anything ::beat, letting out a sigh:: then what am I working towards?

Eeyu: Tell me child, do you need faith to believe in yourself?

Aine thought about this for another moment. She thought about the things she’d accomplished. How at it’s best and worst, she’d never prayed. She’d never asked for help from a higher being.

Sherlock: ::shaking her head and responding affirmatively:: No.

Lim shifted in his seat, to fully face the Starfleet officer. His words took on the tone of one who had counseled many yet never forced an opinion on them. It was a fine balance.

Eeyu: You speak of faith as something that can be gained or lost. Like it is something that can be possessed or set free on a whim. ::beat:: Faith or purpose - whatever you choose to call it, does not appear as a perfectly wrapped gift with fully formed answers. It is not here for you to claim or reject. :: pause:: What is that old adage? All you seek is within yourself.

Sherlock: So ::beat:: you believe that faith in one’s self is all the faith one needs?

Eeyu: You do understand more than you realize. You are asking questions. You are open to the answers. But you are letting doubt cloud the reality that is before you, child. If you wish to find faith, you merely have to choose to see it.

A slight grin grew across Aine’s face. She could understand what he was saying. It was akin to living for one’s self. Not seeking to appease others.

He watched her expressions as a proud parent would. These humans were quite special, Lim had found. They held so many conflicting dreams and emotions, yet somehow tended to find their way in the darkness that was known as self doubt. They became stronger embracing their weakness. It was quite fascinating.

Sherlock: I think I see what you mean. I’m conflating my doubt in faith with my purpose in life, the purpose I’ve chosen.

The old man smiled. He could see that his words, though confusing at first glance, had struck a chord with this child. He could go home, content that she would open her eyes to that which was already before her, with a more observant heart. His work here was done.

Eeyu: Perhaps you will find your future by releasing your past. ::motions to scrolls on a nearby table:: Write your troubles, then burn it into ash. Start your path again with a sense of rebirth. Holding onto things that have already moved down the river is a losing game. Let it go its way, and you go yours. If you have learned from the pain, it serves no purpose remaining.

Sherlock: I think I will.

Aine stood and walked over to the small table. She picked up one of the small scrolls and a pen then began to scroll one word. A word that had always been with her. A word that had the power to hold her back.

She rolled up the scroll and held it to the flame of one of the candles. As it took the flame, she placed it in the bowl below the candle and watched as it was consumed and turned to ash. She wasn’t expecting some awe inspiring feeling to come over her. But she did feel as though a small weight had been lifted. She smiled at the ashes and turned to the old Bajoran.

Sherlock: I want to tha… ::beat:: what the fu… oOWhere’d he go?Oo

She quickly ran out of the small temple and looked up and down the street. The man was nowhere to be found.

Sherlock: Am I seeing ghosts? Maybe it’s the wine…

Lieutenant Junior Grade Aine Sherlock

Security Officer

USS Resolution

R239712AS0