Diplomatic Aide Ashal Koas - Things Sacred

Ashal Koas

Mar 17, 2021, 6:08:39 PM3/17/21
to USS Resolution – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((Laboratory, USS Resolution))

The quintet of beings stepped through narrow double doors and into a meticulously sterile if somewhat diminutive space.  The gravity aboard shifted as they moved from one compartment to the next and there was a brief moment of vertigo as she stepped inside.  Ashal felt deeply for the discomfort this would be causing their Starfleet hosts and was silently gladenned she could keep the inconvenience brief.

Amari: This is just one of the many science laboratories aboard the Resolution. This one specializes in biology, if you'd like to take a look.

It was efficiently arranged for ones who lacked Ashal's natural reach and dexterity, she supposed.  Gleaming instruments stood idle at tidy lab tables, and the whole room had a sense of order and purpose Ashal found deeply proper.  When she deposited her gifts in this room, she'd make certain not to contaminate any of the equipment as a small measure of mutual respect.

T’Suran: Responses

Ashal stepped away from the bulkhead, returning to her duties and following along behind Niran.

Niran: Impressive.

Ashal nodded respectfully, half in agreement and half to avoid a low hanging equipment cluster.  Her focus drifted and she thought of her personal research efforts.

Koas: Most impressive, Representative Delegate.  ::She politely directed a question towards their host.::  Is there a particular focus to your biological research?  I happen to be something of a dendrologist myself.  ::Ashal blinked::  A minor hobby.

Ashal unconsciously hugged the satchels around her shoulders fractionally closer before forcing herself still.

Amari: We can study a wide range of things with the tools here, from plants to animals and any living tissue really. There are other labs that specialize in a number of other things, like astrophysics, chemistry, and medicine.

T'Suran: Response?

Koas: We thank you for sharing this with us.  To know you have such a depth of curisoty is most gratifying.  With respect, I believe the Representative Delegate has seen what you've intended to show us.  May we continue?

The clock in Ashal's mind decreased with the precise regularity of a metronome.

((Corridor, Starfleet Vessel Resolution))

With increasing proficiency, Ashal ducked under the doorframe and into the passage, quietly following a few paces behind the Representative Delegate and their pleasant Starfleet guides.

Amari: Our next stop is our main engineering department. To get there, we will ride a lift. If you'll follow me…

Niran: ::pauses a moment:: Lead the way.

Koas: With your permission, Representative Delegate.

Ashal took a step forward into the smallest space they'd yet seen, almostly doubling herself over as she pressed back against the walls and ceiling.  As the others were distracted she leaned back, small bits of bark sifting through the satchel.

Amari / T’Suran: Responses

Niran: ::smiles wanly:: It is...new. But new isn’t necessarily unwelcome.

Ashal kept silent, happy for the attention to focus on the Representative Delegate.  Niran's mission may have been misguided, but Ashal respected the genuine effort the Representative Delegate had made, and was making.

The lift journey was mercifully short and they emerged to another identical corridor, but the solitary set of double doors here looked heavily re-enforced.  They slid aside to reveal an engine bay unlike any she had ever seen.  For a moment, she wondered if their guides had somehow gotten confused.

((Main Engineering, Starfleet Vessel Resolution))

Niran: ::inclines her head and smiles:: I am curious to see how your vessel’s propulsion works.

Ashal looked around, momentarily distracted by this radiant shrine to the deities of applied engineering.  It may have been small but the whole of the compartment thrummed with purpose.  At its center, with a droning pulse that reminded her of the azure seas of home, their engine core stood solitary and proud.  Standing alone from floor to ceiling like the greatest tree in an ancient forest, a discreet but respectful distance had been established all around where she assumed the crew could pay their respects while carrying out their duties.  A functioning monument to the glory found through scientific pursuits.  Ashal caught herself before stepping too far from the group, concerned she may have disrespected one of Starfleet's sacred spaces.

Amari / T’Suran: Responses

Koas: My sincerest apologies.  This one does not have the Representative Delegates experience in these matters.  The sanctity in which you hold your technology is quite unlike our experiences with the oO butchers, murderers, monsters Oo...the Nascaik.

Amari / T’Suran/Niran: Responses

Koas:  Your patience and compassion is most reassuring.  ::Ashal gestured to the console behind all of the in curiosity:: If I may ask, then, what function does that system serve?

While their backs were turned, Ashal placed one of the branches on a nearby console.  Another was placed near what appeared to be an intake for their air processing systems.  She made certain to grind her heel on that one before pressing it back towards the wall and out of sight.

Amari / T’Suran/Niran: Responses

Koas:  Your technology has a marvelous artistry to it.  To share these insights with us is a great gift.

Amari / T’Suran/Niran: Responses

The thrum of the engine had distracted her for a moment, but the metronome in her mind had never waivered.  It was the insistent sound of inevitability.  The gentle dripping water which could reshape stone.

Or shatter it.

Tags/TBC!

Ashal Koas
Junior Assistant to the Ambassador