JP Aine Sherlock & Yogan Yalu — You don’t know what you’re missing, Part 2

Aine Sherlock

Aug 25, 2021, 9:42:38 AM8/25/21
to sb118-re...@googlegroups.com

(( Holodeck 1, Deck 6, USS Excalibur-A ))

Sherlock: ::smiling:: You’ll do fine. Level 6, the targets don’t shoot back and it’s all stationary. So no moving targets, no having to move from your firing position. Just target practice. If you do well, we’ll try a more difficult level.

Much better.  Even on his best day, he wasn’t well suited to shoulder rolls or leaping out from behind cave rocks to hit a shifty target.  He was grateful not to be starting off in commando mode.

Yalu: ::looking through the scope again::  I’m ready.

Sherlock:  Alright. Computer initiate program: Sherlock three zero six point two. Begin.

At the far end of the holodeck, a gold disc appeared about four metres above ground.  Keeping his thumb on the single fire setting, he moved the weapon upward until the disc filled the targeting field.  Pressing the trigger three times in rapid succession, he felt the rifle’s energy discharge in his shoulder and hand.  Not a recoil, per se, but a definite vibration.  The three bursts of energy hit the disc, though not perfectly in the center, and Yogan moved on to another that had appeared at ground level.

He continued as another eight discs appeared in various locations inside the holodeck, firing multiple times at each until it vanished and was replaced by another.  After the tenth disc disappeared, he lowered the weapon and looked at Aine expectantly.

Aine watched as Yogan fired at each target, switching as the discs disappeared. While not the worst she’d ever seen, he was definitely not a marksman. She took notes on his technique, a little information she’d disperse later.

Computer:  =/\= Round complete.  Constant error:  19.  Shooting error:  21.  Mean radius:  23.  Overall score, 63 out of a possible 100. =/\=

Yalu:  ::wincing::  Yikes.  ::beat::  My non-humanoid surgery class all over again.

Sherlock:  Well, it was ::beat:: above average.

Yogan grinned slightly at Aine’s diplomatic assessment of his first outing.

Yalu:  I want to try again.  ::beat::  Can I try again?

Sherlock:  Yes. This time, try to move the rifle with your support hand. Kind of point it at the targets. It should help with transitioning from target to target.

Yogan nodded, then took a deep breath and rolled his neck back and forth before placing his eye against the scope once again.  He tried to follow Aine’s advice and direct the weapon from location to location with his right hand, while his left hand kept a steady grip on the trigger.  Ten targets later, Yogan realized he’d been holding his breath the entire time.  Firing a weapon and relaxation weren’t the most natural of partners for him.

Computer:  =/\= Round complete.  Constant error:  20.  Shooting error:  23.  Mean radius:  26.  Overall score, 69 out of a possible 100. =/\=

Yalu:  Improvement.

Improvement was good, she was hesitant to tell him that her personal score was 93 in half the time.

Sherlock:  Practice makes perfect. It may be something you want to work on in your free time.

Yogan wondered what a “good” score was–Seventy?  Eighty?–and how much practice it might require for him to get to that level.  In the meantime, any colleagues with whom he would be assigned on an away team might not be pleased to find out that, if confronted with 10 enemies, Yogan would be lucky to hit 7 of them.

Yalu:  Noted.  ::beat:: I know this is a standard firearm, but it’s a little… small for me.  I feel like I have to hunch over it.  Could I try with something a little more… substantial?

Sherlock:  oO Now we’re talkin’! Oo ::a grin slowly creeped across Aine’s face:: Computer, run program Sherlock four zero one point one.

The scenery of the holodeck shifted to an outdoor field, long and flat. Before them was a short duranium barrier. When kneeling behind it, it was little more than shoulder height. Between the wall and them sat a cannon of a weapon. Beyond the barrier, well down range, sat a powered down old Type 8 Shuttle craft.

Sherlock: Allow me to introduce you to the Isomagnetic Disintegrator.

Yogan was appalled.  When he asked for something more substantial, he wasn’t expecting a freaking cannon.  It was clear that Aine was enjoying demonstrating this particular bit of kit.

Yalu: Pleased to meet you, Isomagnetic Disintegrator.

Sherlock: Shoulder fired heavy weapon for use against armored or entrenched targets. It’s got a simple holo site. Put the crosshairs on the target, depress the trigger to the first stop and it will start beeping. When the beep becomes constant, pull the trigger the rest of the way and enjoy the show.

After the difficulty he’d had with the introductory-level phaser exercise, he felt as though this combination of giant weapon and giant target was a bit more keyed to his unique capabilities.  He grinned at Aine, his eyes darting back and forth to the weapon.

Yalu: I want to blow up the shuttle.  ::beat::  Can I blow up the shuttle?

Aine was as excited as he was. Never a standard weapon in training, few officers got to use one, real or simulated. Mostly relegated to Marine units, Aine was lucky enough to get to fire one in her armory class. Aine held out an arm and gestured to the weapon on the ground. Blowing something up seemed the perfect way to let off some steam after that mission, even if it was only a simulated explosion.

Sherlock: Have at it, Lieutenant.

Lieutenant Junior Grade Aine Sherlock
Security Officer
USS Resolution