Lt Aine Sherlock - Official Business, Part 3

Aine Sherlock

Nov 17, 2021, 8:01:46 AM11/17/21
to sb118-re...@googlegroups.com
((Training Gym, Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth))

She knew what she was there for. It'd played out in her mind many times. But she didn't plan on what she'd actually say. Too many ways to approach it and she definitely wasn't expecting an opening like this.

Graves: I'm surprised to see you here.

Sherlock: Why's that?

Graves: Being up and about after getting shot.

Straight to the point he was. Master Chief Graves was never one for introductions and niceties.

Sherlock: I'm fine. The Doctors got me back on my feet right away.

Graves: So, tell me how it happened.

Sherlock: That's not why I'm here.

Graves: I didn't ask that.

Cadet, Officer, Admiral. It didn't matter to him and she knew that. He'd get his way or she wouldn't get hers. He turned to Aine and approached her, stopping just a meter from her and looking down towards her in that way that made her feel even smaller, like she'd just made a mistake in his class and being chastised for it. She looked up at him, she wouldn't drop her eyes this time. Though she was still young, she was that one bar cadet anymore. The silent game of chicken seemed like it lasted a lifetime before she finally gave in.

Sherlock: One of our crewmembers was taken hostage. I lead the team to save him. The others didn't have the training for situations like that so I led the way in. And that's when it happened.

Graves: That's what I read.

Sherlock: Then why ask?

Graves: Next time, shoot faster.

Sherlock: Big talk from someone who won't pick up a phaser.

This was intentional. She knew what she was saying, it wasn't impulsive. Still, her heart raced when the words came out. There was still that little fear in the back of her mind that thought he might grab her and snap her in half. The man's eyes narrowed, even more than they normally were. His face twisted in a way that you could quite tell if he was impressed or angry.

Graves: If it makes you feel better, I think it's satisfactory that you're on your feet and not dead.

Sherlock: oOYou sound like a damned Vulcan!Oo Thank you?

Graves: So, what do you want? To talk? To "catch-up?"

Sherlock: I need a new SNCO. Mine quit.

She'd never seen him humored before, but the smile on his face now indicated he found something she said funny.

Graves: That's grand. No.

Sherlock: Why not? You're ::beat:: satisfactory. ::raising an eyebrow::

Graves: I did my time out there. I see no reason to go back out.

Sherlock: I think there's more to it than that.

Graves: There's not.

She honestly expected him to say no. But he wasn't going to just accept that. He was what she needed in a Senior NCO. If they were all transferred to a bigger ship, that meant she'd have a bigger department. And one who were not familiar with her and her them. She'd need someone like him to keep things in order. She was afraid to push him, but she also knew that was the only way he was going to say yes.

Sherlock: Well, I guess I made the trip for nothing. ::turning to leave:: I guess it was foolish of me to assume a scared old man would come along.

Graves: What did you just say, young lady.

She stopped dead in her tracks and turned her head to look over her shoulder. She kept her face straight and serious.

Sherlock: ::with the slightest hint of sarcasm:: It's okay, Master Chief. I understand. If I'd been through the war, I might be afraid to go back out into the darkness too. ::she patted the spot of her wound, causing a slight pain but not flinching:: I got work to do. Thank you for your time.

As she began to walk away again he suddenly barked at her.

Graves: You don't know what you're talking about!

She turned back towards him and closed the distance so they were nearly face to face.

Sherlock: Then what is it? Why not come along?

Graves: You really think I'm afraid for myself? You think that's why I took this position? ::gesturing to the room:: Because I'm afraid of going back out there?

Sherlock: I do. And I always will unless you change my mind.

TBC

Lieutenant Aine Sherlock
Chief of Security
USS Resolution