Lieutenant (J.G.) Etan Iljor - With A Finer Spirit Of Hope And Achievement Part II

Michael Meir-Wright

May 4, 2021, 5:45:55 PM5/4/21
to sb118-re...@googlegroups.com

((Briefing Room, USS Resolution))

Iljor took the orange and purple ribbon from MacKenzie at the same time he surreptitiously reached out and took Meidra’s hand. She had been a source of great comfort and wisdom to him over the preceding three months and he felt that he needed that comfort now. Almost instantly, he felt the tenor of his emotions change, they calmed and he felt the threat of tears receding. He looked at Commander MacKenzie with a grateful smile and courteous nod of his head.

Once the applause in the room subsided, Commander MacKenzie spoke again.

MacKenzie: Mr. Etan, you may be seated. Counselor Sirin, please remain.

Beaming at his best friend, he let go of her hand and returned to his seat, perhaps a little too quickly although he no longer cared all that much if people were watching him or not.

MacKenzie: Counselor, as I’ve already mentioned, your involvement in this mission was virtual to its success. But even further, your assistance in the actual negotiations was invaluable to me. Your perceptions, insights and contributions were critical to our finding an amicable solution that the delegates could support. For going above and beyond the call of duty in the execution of your role in the peace talks, I’m privileged to award you the Captain’s Commendation. Congratulations, Counselor!

Sirin: Response.

Any: Response.

Full of pride, Iljor joined in the applause for her. She so richly deserved it. He had marvelled at her composure and her dedication throughout the mission and not just for the mission at hand. It was abundantly clear to everyone present in the room that Meidra Sirin cared deeply for the ship and for those who served aboard her.

Once the applause died down, Meidra was given leave to return to her seat. Commander MacKenzie turned her attention to a velvet box that she had brought with her.

MacKenzie: And that brings us to the truly terrible part of this job… Ensign Yellir, please return to the front of the room.

Iljor’s eyes followed the Yelikan to the front of the room.

MacKenzie: Ensign, since coming aboard, you have made nothing but a positive contribution to the crew. You are thoughtful, intelligent, and an asset to whatever team you are assigned. Without a doubt, you have earned the respect of the entire crew. It is thereby my honor as bestowed upon me by Starfleet Command and ::wiggling her eyebrows in Kali’s direction:: Captain Nicholotti, to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant JG with all the rights and privileges pertaining thereto. Congratulations, Lieutenant!

Yellir: Response.

Any: Response.

Iljor joined in the applause with great enthusiasm. He enjoyed Hallia’s company, although he didn’t know her as well as Meidra, Aine and Yogan. Still, he found her excitement and thirst for life to be infectious. On top of that, she was clearly devoted to science- which meant that he held her in high regard.

The Yelikan had barely returned to seat when Commander MacKenzie spoke again.

MacKenzie: Ensign Etan, to the front!

Feeling his anxiety level rising once more, he made his way to the front of the room.

Etan: oO Kosst...Oo

MacKenzie: Ensign Etan, your passion for science is infectious. Your attention to detail is and has been demonstrably commendable. You are inquisitive and your performance has served as a benchmark by which others should strive to reach. For this purpose, it is my pleasure to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant JG, with all the rights and privileges pertaining thereto. Well deserved, Lieutenant!

Iljor gasped as the First Officer’s words sank in and his mouth dropped open. This had truly been unexpected. He managed to recover his composure a moment later, but his cheeks were already furiously red. He breathed in through his nose and out through his mouth as he felt MacKenzie affix the hollow pip to his collar.

Etan: Thank you, Commander. Prophets walk with you.

Any: Response.

He returned to his seat dazed by the promotion. He was vaguely tracing the outline of the hollow pip with one finger at the same time that Yogan was moving to the front of the room. He shook off the stupor in time to hear the XO’s words.

MacKenzie: Mr. Yalu, I now know more of you than I could have ever hoped to know… having participated in your Zhian’Tara, I’m not only familiar with your investment in Starfleet, but that of one of your previous hosts as well… And, while I’m still…recovering… from that interesting experience, it has provided an interesting insight into who you are.

She lapsed in to silence for a moment.

MacKenzie: But even if I hadn’t had that experience, your performance on this ship has been exemplary. You have not only carried out your duties at the helm in the most trying of circumstances, but you are level-headed and constantly work to better those around you. It is my great honor to promote you to the rank of full Lieutenant, with all the rights and privileges pertaining thereto. Congratulations, Lieutenant!

Iljor watched, clapping, as she exchanged his hollow pip for a solid one. He was so tall that she had to stand on the tips of her toes to do so, something that provoked a chuckle from Iljor. He had seen Yalu’s investment in the fleet first hand and the two had spoken of it several times in their shared quarters. He knew that the Trill would be proud of this latest promotion- and he had every right to be. It was well earned.

Iljor: Response.

Any: Response.

When Yogan had returned to his chair, Iljor noted with a slight frown that Commander MacKenzie’s face had fallen and her voice had also dropped to a flat level. She had the look of somebody who was being forced to deliver bad news and took no pleasure in doing so.

MacKenzie: Counselor Sirin…

With wary eyes, he watched Meidra make her way back to the front of the room and wished her nothing but good things. He knew that she had not always seen eye to eye with the First Officer and they had had their fair share of disagreements. Iljor hoped that this was not the beginning of another.

MacKenzie: Counselor, we have not always seen eye to eye… I have at times found you to be impulsive, difficult to deal with, and lacking good judgment. (beat) And all that having been said, while I believe it to have been true, I have also witnessed incredible growth and maturity during our last several missions together. This is especially true of our last mission, during which I found your assistance invaluable. It is thereby that, though no choice or pleasure of my own, I hereby promote you to the rank of full Lieutenant, with all the rights and privileges pertaining thereto.

Relief and then elation slammed so hard into Iljor that it had almost winded him. When she begun her short speech, he had been momentarily convinced that she was about to be punished for an infraction that he did not know about. But it had been a ploy- one he had been sucked into. Just as she had with Yogan, MacKenzie removed one pip from Meidra’s collar and replaced it with another.

MacKenzie: ::softly, with a mischievous grin, indicative of her humor:: Congratulations, Lieutenant.

Sirin: Response.

Any: Response.

Meidra took back her chair and MacKenzie offered the room a small, theatrical bow before she too sat down.

MacKenzie: Alright, time to get back to work. I happily turn the floor back to Captain Nicholotti, who can brief you all on our next mission. Captain?

The room, abuzz with celebration only a moment before, fell into a quiet silence as everyone looked at Captain Nicholotti and her crystalline blue eyes. Iljor stopped tracing the new pip on his collar, composed himself fully and readied himself for whatever was to come next.

Nicholotti: Response.

--

tab/tbc

--