PNPC PO2 Kirky Bean — The fire of desire

jkpbem

Mar 22, 2021, 10:36:47 PM3/22/21
to USS Resolution – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Shuttlebay, Deck 4, USS Resolution ))

It hadn’t taken long for Kirky to prepare the shuttle for launch, and it was now parked in position, ready to take off at a moment’s notice.  Even though it wasn’t required of him, he remained in the shuttle’s pilot seat, which would shave a few seconds off his time in the event his services were required.  Sometimes, a few seconds made all the difference between a successful planetary extraction, and landing your shuttlecraft next to five smoking pairs of boots.  This time around, Kirky would make sure he rescued everyone, and not just their boots.

It had been several minutes, and Yobro still hadn’t given the order to launch, so there was little for Kirky to do but stand ready.  In the meantime, he gazed through the open shuttle bay door into the infinity of space, ringed by the bright blue hue of the force field generator, and thought about his upcoming birthday.  With any luck, they’d be docked at a planet or a starbase and he could really let loose, celebrate the big two-four in style.

Kirky was awash in daydreams about he and his best buds from Resolution getting turnt at some after-hours rager, but it didn’t have the same appeal as he remembered.  Maybe he was getting too old for stuff like that.  Maybe it was time to grow up, settle down, get serious about his career.  Maybe his birthday celebration should reflect these changing preferences and priorities; perhaps a quiet affair with one or two close friends, some pleasant conversation over unobtrusive acoustic guitar.

Bean:  ::shaking his head::  Naw.

Yalu:  =/\= Bridge to shuttlebay.  Showtime, Kirky.  We need the away team back aboard as soon as possible. =/\=

Bean:  =/\= You got it, Yoganator!  Launching now.  =/\=

With a single flourish of his digits, Kirky raised the aft hatch, plotted a course to the away team’s most recent check-in coordinates, and activated the shuttle's manoeuvring thrusters.  Damn, he was good.

Bean:  =/\= Computer, play something from ‘Kirky-Mega-Tunes-Alpha-Three.’ =/\=

As the shuttlecraft lifted off from the deck and passed through the force field, one of Kirky’s favourite classical songs began playing over the comm.  Within seconds, he was descending into the planet’s upper atmosphere, gently guiding the small craft through some rough weather.  The away team appeared to have entered a rather dense forest, and Kirky was having trouble finding a clearing to set down.

Bean:  ::scanning the navigational reference display::  Better get your… self together, and hold on to what you got…  Bingo.  =/\= Bean to Commander Adea. =/\=

Adea:  =/\= response =/\=

Bean:  We need to get you back up to the ship right away, Sir.  I’m setting the shuttlecraft down about 500 metres from your current location at bearing 262 from magnetic north.  I’ll be there in about 90 seconds.

Adea:  =/\= response =/\=

(( Vionus IV – continuous ))

The clearing Kirky found didn’t allow much room for the approach.  He fired the atmospheric thrusters in reverse to slow the craft down and made a careful, near vertical descent amidst the cluster of conifers.  Through the viewport, he saw the away team approach, and he popped open the aft hatch to let them come in out of the rain.

Bean:  Welcome aboard, Doctor, Commander, Ensign, Ensign, Ensign.  Let’s get you all back home.

Any:  response

Bean:  Not sure what’s up, up there.  I just got orders to come get you ASAP.  We’ll be back aboard in under five.

Any:  response

(( OOC:  I didn’t leave a ton of tags since we’re at the end of the act, but if you want to sim a bit of this scene, I’d be delighted to! ))

[Tag / End of Act II for Kirky]

PNPC PO2 Kirkington Algernon-Greene Bean
Shuttlecraft Pilot
USS Resolution NCC-78145

simmed by

Lieutenant JG Yogan Yalu
Helm Officer
USS Resolution NCC-78145

Justin
D238804DS0

As you liberate yourself in metaphor, think of others, those who have lost the right to speak.
— Mahmoud Darwish