Lt. Commander Ben Rackham - That's Classified

Jo Marshall

Sep 25, 2021, 5:03:15 PM9/25/21
to sb118-re...@googlegroups.com

((Transporter Room 2, Deck 3, USS Resolution))

Ben had stepped down from the transporter pad to be greeted by the acting Captain and his coterie. The tall blond felt immediately home on the starship; more at home in the hallowed halls of a Starfleet vessel than the station. Their discussion quickly turned to the reasons for their accidental distress call; a blip of their communications system. But Ben was never one to look an opportunity in the face without toasting it with champaggin.

Rackham: I was hoping we could discuss sharing the use of your science facilities while your engineers look at our power regulators. It shouldn’t take long, barely a day or so, but it will get us over the last hill in our molecular moisture reclamation research and make my scientists thrilled. Your Nova-class is like a larking colt in an autumn meadow compared to Rinascita.

He shrugged a shoulder up with a wide smile and a heroic eyebrow tilt. Rosy cheeks beneath his blond beard shone underneath the lights of the transporter room, and he gestured with a nod of his head to the door.

Rackham: Any chance of a glass of Amielian tea, Commander? It’s been a hot minute since I was on a ship with the program. Station tea never tastes right.

The gold-shirted bearded one looked to his captain for confirmation, while said acting captain nodded enthusiastically. Ben didn’t hold back the wide smile as he fell into step beside Adea.

Adea: I understand completely Commander. Come, there’s a chemistry lab on this deck. It should have both a replicator for tea, and will also give you an idea of our abilities.

Rackham: Excellent. Thank you, Captain.

Matu: Response (if any)

The assembled crew started out of the transporter room, heading into the familiar lines and colours of the corridors. Ben clasped his hands behind his back as they walked, taking it all in with wide eyes and an occasional flick of beautiful blond locks. The dull thud of the Captain’s cane reached his ears as if keeping the rhythm to their walk like a metronome.

Adea: So tell me about this Amielian tea; what sort of flavour does it have? ::He looked behind him.:: What about you? Do you drink tea?

Silveira: Just peached flavor ice tea, which isn’t really the time for. Other than that it’s coffee for me.

Rackham: Ah, a man who likes his coffee is all business. ::He elbowed the Silveira with a wink.:: Be careful of your man here, Captain. He looks like a prime steakhouse and handles like a bistro.

Matu/Adea: Response

Rackham: Amielian tea is a precocious suggestion of bursting berries, unlike anything you’ve ever tasted, until you’ve had it of course. It springs over your tongue like a frolicking philly.

Adea/Matu: Response

They traversed the corridor and arrived at the science lab dedicated to the application of chemistry. The bearded security officer was the last to enter and stood by the door, somewhat like a bouncer blocking the exit to a club in Freecloud, only decidedly shorter and less like a shuttlebay door. Ben, however, looked in his element with a broad smile as he swept blue eyes around the scientific equipment.

Rackham: I have to say, Captain, this is exactly what we need. You have some marvellous equipment here.

Adea/Matu: Response

Silveira: Please, indulge yourselves, I will take my coffee last. ::He smiled again at Ben, who beamed back.:: Doctor Rackham, if you don’t mind me asking, do you have any military research going on?

For a second, Ben’s eye twitched as he regarded the bearded security officer, before flicking his glance to the man’s collar; the pips specifically. As he looked back up at him, the smile didn’t shift, but he tilted his head a little.

Rackham: I’m afraid that’s a little above your classification, Lieutenant. Suffice to say, our research would be useful in the right hands to those with the appropriate intention to use it.

Adea/Matu/Silveira: Response

Rackham: Eco-regeneration, meteorological, vulcanology… ::He thought for a second before adding with a light chuckle,:: I was a little put out as a youngster to discover that was the study of volcanoes and geophysical phenomena, and not the study of my delightful Vulcan colleagues.

Adea/Matu/Silveira: Response

Rackham: I have to say, Captain, I’d be thrilled to meet some of your colleagues in science and pick their ample brains about our situation to hurry our research along.

Adea/Matu/Silveira: Response

--

Lt. Commander Ben Rackham

Chief Scientist, Rinascita Station