Ensign Callium Treetus - The new normal

Steve Bullock

Nov 18, 2020, 6:01:54 PM11/18/20
to USS Resolution – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Runnabout Heratio))

It had taken the best part of a day and half cooped up in a runnabout to reach Starbase 224, while the company onboard had been on the right side of pleasant, it hadn't taken Ensign Tormaland long to start recounting a story that he seemed intent would take every minute of the journey. Getting to the station had not come soon enough!

The docking ring that the Federation ships were allocated had meant that he had managed to see the Resolution up close as they swooped into the allocated docking position. It occurred to him at that moment that in all the rush he hadn't even had the chance to enquire as to what class of ship he would be serving on, it was with some degree of pleasure that the stout lines of the Nova class ship, proudly baring the name USS Resolution swung into view.

Tormaland:.....and then the whole place erupted into dance and I.....

Treetus::Coughing to interrupt the rambling story::So the Resolution is a Nova class!

Tormaland::Looking a little startled to be jolted out of his story:: What, err, yes...a newly constructed one. Anyway as I was saying, the whole place erupted....

The sweeping lines, somewhat reminiscent of an Intrepid class…it all bought back memories of seeing those schematics in the first few weeks of his tenure at the Darwin Academy.

Treetus::Almost in a trance:: I didn't work on that design, but my mentor at the academy did...he talked me through almost every inch of it, she's one tough little ship!

Tormaland was obviously oblivious to anything further that Callium was saying as his story had now moved to a whole other chapter, probably Chapter 246 by best account!

The Heratio's internal lights dimmed as the locking latches caught the side of the hull and retracted the small ship towards the station docking ring, Callium was up and bag in hand waiting by the door as the final chime indicated docking was complete. Reaching forwards and keying in the open command, a look behind showed that Tormaland was still in full flow.

Treetus: Thanks for the ride!

Tormaland:...and you wouldn't have expected a Cardassian to do that....

Shaking his head, he headed out and was almost immediately stopped in his tracks by a well-built officer.

Lt Williams: And you would be?

Treetus: Ensign Callium Treetus November, 237401, Charlie, Tango, 0, I'm here to report to the USS Resolution!

Lt Williams::Looking down at his Padd:: I see, yes, the Resolution is docked at docking bay 6, you'll find it down there and to the right, you can't miss it. Safe travels ensign.

Treetus:  Thanks sir.

Finding docking bay 6 hadn't taken long, and it seemed by the hubbub of activity around the walkway leading to the ship that it hadn't arrived long before he had. Walking down the walkway against the throng of people moving in the opposite direction, it was interesting to see the faces of crew members he hoped would soon become friends. Upon reaching the airlock that indicated his next steps would be aboard the ship, Callium hesitated. oO Do I need to request permission to come aboard! Oo Looking around for someone to ask, he spotted a young-looking officer and stepped across to introduce himself.

Treetus: Erm, sorry to interrupt.

Anyone: Response

Treetus: I just wondered if I need...I mean...oOCome on Cal you bumbling idiotOo...::Taking a deep breath:: Ok, my name is Ensign Treetus and I've been allocated to the Resolution, do I need to request permission to board?

Anyone: Response.

Treetus::Smiling:: Thanks, I'll do just that!

((Time shift a few minutes latter))

(( Main Engineering, USS Resolution ))

MacNemar: Ey there.  Ensign Treetus, right?

Treetus: ::Standing to attention:: Sorry sir, I didn't see you come in. Yes I'm Ensign Treetus.

She offered the middle-aged man a hand to shake. Stepping forward he thrust out his gloved hand and shook the diminutive officers’ hand.

Treetus: Don't mind the hand, it’s supposed to be cold and clammy, its synthetic! ::Reaching down to move the cuff of the glove just enough to show the blue/grey skin underneath.

MacNemar: Yeah, don’t worry too much ‘bout formality down here, Ensign.  The ship’s too small for all that.

Treetus: Small is just perspective, you don't need to be small to pack a punch. oO...Shi...I meant the ship not her; I hope she doesn’t think I'm...come on snap out of it Cal! Oo

She gestured toward the console he’d been working at.

MacNemar: Gettin’ acquainted with the ship?  You got any questions yet?  I’m kind of new aboard myself, but I think I’ve gotten to know her pretty well.

Treetus: I actually know this ship pretty well sir, my mentor at the Darwin Academy aided in its design, we must have gone over this ships schematics a hundred times::Looking around:: It’s great to see one up close and in person. I worked on a few ships during my tenure, but nothing of this size!

MacNemar: Response

Treetus: I was a lecturer in Astro design there, we did outside work on ship designs for the Federation from time to time, but mostly the students studied ship case studies and theoretical design.

MacNemar: Response

Treetus::Smiling, well that's the reason I have way too many wrinkles for an Ensign sir....Twenty three years lecturing.

MacNemar: Response

Treetus: I'm sure we can, yes. Anyway, I was just looking through the ships logs to try and catch up with what you've been doing...which can wait for another time. Is there anything you need me to do?

MacNemar: Response

Treetus: Response

Ensign Callium Treetus

Engineering