Lt. Cmdr. Genkos Adea - An Acting Captain's Final Act

Elliot Huxtable

Nov 11, 2021, 5:32:04 PM11/11/21
to sb118-re...@googlegroups.com

((Lua Pele Beachside Bar, Resolution Crew Memorial Dinner, Maklau Hotel, Risa))

Genkos sat around the long table, his drink in hand and surveyed the assembled crew. His stomach bubbled with nerves; he’d seen this done many, many times but this was different. This time he had to do it himself. He’d insisted upon it; it would be the finale to his command, and it would help them all to bury the events of the past few weeks as well as their friends and colleagues.

He tapped the handle of his cane against his glass and felt a wave of attention hit him like a blast of warm air as all their eyes turned their gaze upon him. With a short nod to Yogan, who was acting as First Officer and was therefore designated pip carrier, he stood up and his chair scraped backwards along the floor - a better call to attention than the glass ching.

Adea: Hello all. Apologies for the interruption to this fine dinner. However, it is my honour and my privilege to present these, the final awards of the USS Resolution. But before I do, I think it is only right that we acknowledge the majesty and beauty of that fair ship. The Resolution was not just our ship, but also our home for a year and a half. ::he raised his glass:: To the Resolution.

Any: Response

He looked up and down the table, surveying the crew around him.

Adea: But more than that, it is the people who served aboard that ship who made it our home; who were our family. ::he looked down at his plate as he spoke:: And we lost thirteen members of that family two weeks ago. ::when he looked back up, his eyes were filled with tears:: Their names were Iefyr Farrel. Chandra Amari. Verian Ohar. Gaavi Lak. Duncan Ruthers. Zenko-Taff. Ev’ell Gridung. Joss Ghunkep. Anais Burgess. T’Yor. Saar Spurloecke. Jane van Klaveren. Doria ch’Rino. They will be missed. ::He raised his glass a second time.:: To honour them, I would like to have a moment’s silence.

There was a deafening silence as the room grew quiet. Genkos looked straight ahead, avoiding anyone’s eyes. He knew if he did, he would collapse in floods of tears and he would never get through the rest of it. Thirty seconds of the silence felt like an eternity as he remembered each and every one of the thirteen crewmen, as well as Liam Wyke, the man who gave his life to save Genkos’.

The silence came to a natural conclusion and Genkos looked back down and around at the faces that looked up at him.

Adea: To honour them, we have sent their families and relations a Federation Cross. And also to Liam Wyke, a member of Starfleet Intelligence who also died in the destruction of the Resolution. We honour him too. ::he sipped his drink and nodded to Yogan:: But we also have to remember and commemorate the living. The first ribbon to present is the Prisoner of War Ribbon for Kyle Morgan, for his stoic and brave response to being held hostage, a true demonstration of Starfleet grit.

Morgan/Yalu: Response

Genkos nodded to Kyle as the man stepped towards them and Yogan handed him the ribbon. He applauded gently, but to do so too firmly seemed crass; celebrating a kidnapping.

Adea: Next, for her sterling actions when her colleagues were injured, I would like to present Hallia Yellir with the Silver Lifesaving Ribbon. Congratulations Hallia, and thank you.

Yellir/Yalu: Response

As Hallia took her ribbon from Yogan, Genkos shot her a subtle wink and a nod. When the applause died down, he cleared his throat.

Adea: As a natural segue from Hallia’s actions, being injured is a constant threat within Starfleet, and to recognise their injuries on duty, we present Meidra Sirin and Aine Sherlock with Purple Hearts. Thank you for your service.

Again, applauding too vigorously here seemed a trifle trite. Woo, you got stabbed. But he did nod to them both as they received their ribbons.

Sirin/Sherlock/Yalu: Response

Adea: Finally, in the midst of disaster there is also light, and it is my honour to bestow promotions on two of our officers today. The first is a great friend to many people here, ::his eyes glanced over Meidra:: and personally I will always be thankful that he saved a very close friend of mine. ::at this point, Toto yapped:: But it is my privilege to promote Hamsan Dwich to Crewman, First Class, with all the rights and privileges therein.

As Dwich came forward, and the crew began to applaud, Genkos took the Crewman insignia from Yogan and stepped over to pin it to the Bajoran’s collar.

Adea: Thank you, and congratulations Dwich.

Hamsan: Response

Genkos stepped back to his seat, and was ready to present the final promotion of the ceremony. The applause died down and Genkos waved his hand languidly.

Adea: Last, but by no means least, could Etan Iljor please approach the stage. Iljor has proven himself over the past few months aboard as an incredibly capable officer, a brilliant scientist, and a close friend to many of us. Therefore it is my great honour to bestow upon him the rank of Lieutenant, with all the rights and privileges therein.

Iljor approached and Genkos pinned the pip to his collar. He leaned in and whispered in the man’s ear, struggling to be heard over the clapping.

Adea: Don’t go too far, my friend.

Etan: Response

Genkos placed a hand on Iljor’s shoulder and turned back to the table, with a broad smile upon his face.

Adea: And in addition to that, I would like to appoint Iljor to be the Head of Science aboard the USS… Wherever We End Up.

Genkos took a step back to let Iljor bask in the adoration of the room; he was well liked within the crew, and Genkos was particularly fond of him.

Adea: Now, it is my honest pleasure to tell you all to eat, drink and be merry. But not too merry; for those of you who didn’t read my message, we are being picked up later this afternoon and whisked back to DS224 before we receive our new posting. ::his eyes twinkled playfully:: But that’s all I can say…

He gestured for Kalianna, whilst letting out a deep sigh of relief. Finally, the weight of command was off his shoulders. Right? As they passed, he squeezed her hand briefly and gave her a glum smile.

Adea: Over to you Captain.

Nicholotti: Response

Lieutenant Commander Genkos Adea MD

Second Officer & Chief Medical Officer

USS Resolution

G239502GS0

"You know, I'm really easy to get along with most of the time, but I don't like bullies and I don't like threats, and I don't like you, Culluh. You can try and stop us from getting to the truth but I promise you that if you do I will respond with all the 'unique technologies' at my command." - Kathryn Janeway