LT. Arlill, Ensign Nilsen, Lt. Maxwell, Ensign Herrick. Lt. Promotory, Lt. Johnson, Zarah, Lt. Nijal, Ensign Vomek, Rox, Lt. Cabrillo: JOPA: Some say goodbye, and some say hello… (Part 2)

Erik J

Sep 8, 2023, 9:43:29 AM9/8/23
to USS 'Oumuamua – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( “Special Restoration Area” (a.k.a. Bowling Alley) - Deck 7 - USS ‘Oumuamua ))

Arlill: Now that you’ve all arrived, please open the boxes on the tables before you with your name on them.

They would find, within the boxes, something he’d thought they’d appreciate, the boxes contained old fashioned bowling shirts that read JOPA, “Just Other Players Association”, each with pin stripes matching the duty posts.

Zarah opened her box and just like everyone else, she had a shirt.  Instead of ‘Ensign’ or “Engineer’, she had ‘Honorary Cadet’.  Grinning from ear to ear, she tugged the shirt on over the one she wore, then stood up to proudly display it.

Nijal: Honorary cadet! Wow, congratulations, Zarah.

Rox turned the box over in her hands and regarded it quizzically. She liked gifts, but Avander and Toxin were pranksters in a fashion. For all she knew there could be any number of animals in the box.  Opening it however she found a shirt, uniquely styled.  Others were turning their shirts over and regarding the writing on the back.  Rox slowly turned the shirt over and then returned it to the box.  She put the lid back on and folded her hands over it.

Rox: ::Smiling to Toxin::  Thank you.

When Josh opened his up, he saw the golden-stripped pins and turned the shirt over. In large font, the word Ensign appeared and he saw some very small text that was almost unreadable until you were only inches away from the shirt — ‘Chief Explosion Officer.’ He looked up and smiled; while he was not too fond of those memories, this was — it felt like the solidification of joining a family.

And he had to admit that he did have a penchant for exploding things in the last few months — first the jefferies tubes, then setting up the remote triggers on the mines. He might be giving tactical a run for their money.

Nilsen: Mate, these are so cool.

Vomek:  Mine says “Harry”.  I’m telling you guys I’m not going to be a “Harry Kim”.  I won’t be an ensign forever.

Nilsen: None of us will stay ensign forever ::putting his arm around Vomek:: just don't forget us when you make captain.

Arlill: Hey Vomek, I’ve heard Bolians make excellent first officers ::giving Vomek a wink::

Vomek was very much enjoying himself.  The arrival of the lively farm boy Lhandon Nilsen had definitely made things in the HCO department more interesting. He was a pilot and a linguist so the two shared at least two common interests.  Moreover Vomek found that Lhandon was able to talk easily to people which had allowed Vomek to get to know Toxin better.  The three had  begun to conspire as to how to best split the various HCO duties.

Vomek: ::turning to Lhandon with seriousness:: Yo no soy marinero, soy Capitan.

Nilsen: Response

Vomek: We’ll see who gets their first.

Vomek was additionally celebrating the fact that Lt. Kel was still willing to give him helm lessons.  After his time with Temporal Investigations Vomek thought Kel would not speak to him anymore.  Vomek had, after all, tried to blackmail him.  But the doctor had said nothing. Instead he had insisted they continue their lessons as they had been.  The only difference was that Lhandon had joined, which suited Vomek fine.

Arlill: Alright, alright, settle down. I know we’re all super excited. (beat) Since I joined the ‘Oumuamua, hell, since I joined Starfleet, I haven’t felt as close to a group as I do with you folks. This organization has helped me through tough times and times when I wasn’t sure I was doing things the right way. (beat) Ok, enough with the sappiness. Does anyone care to share a few thoughts before we break into our support groups for our newest candidates?

Johnson: I have a question.  Are we actually going to bowl at all?

It was at that precise moment that Max walked in.

He cast his gaze about, taking in the faces present and scratching at his beard thoughtfully before offering a nod of greeting to the woman he’d spoken to on the bridge during the hunt for the Nautilus. Having spent most of his time so far on the Gator Deck, he still didn’t have a clue about names beyond Lieutenant Kessler, who had been first to speak to him on the bridge as well as the Commodore and lastly the XO, who had greeted him in the shuttle bay upon his arrival.

Maxwell: Might be a good idea as we’re in a bowling alley, aye?

He offered up a half-smile on the unmarked side of his face to lighten his sarcasm. After all, he didn’t really know anybody yet.

Arlill: Ok, if everyone could please settle. We have one more task before we break into our ::using air quotes:: “bowling teams”, we have a more important duty to perform. Please, be silent for a moment.

Arlill: =/\= Lieutenant Arlill to Lieutenant Promontory, would you please join me on Deck 7 Room 703. =/\=

Now that Avander was no longer on deck 7, going for a swim was a little more complicated than shuffling down the hall in his swimsuit. And after the time he ended up in nothing more than that and a towel in sickbay, he now ensured he had a spare uniform ready at hand whenever he was at the pool. Luckily, he had actually got a full swim in this time and he was just about to towel off when the summons came.

Avander: =/\= On my way =/\=

TBC!

LTJG Toxin Arlill

“The Best, Ace, Top, Pick of the Litter” Helm, Communications, & Operations Officer

USS 'Oumuamua NCC-81226

O239910TA

Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen

"The Better Third Movie"  Helm, Communications, & Operations Officer

USS Oumuamua

O240007LN1

2nd Lieutenant Arturo Maxwell

Marine Officer, 4/73 Marines.

USS Oumuamua: NCC-81226.

O239311AM0

Ensign Josh Herrick

Engineering Officer

USS ‘Oumuamua

O240005JH3

Lt Avander Promontory

Intelligence Officer

USS ‘Oumuamua

O239910AP4

Lt. Sasha Johnson & Zarah Johnson

Engineering Officer & Civilian

USS 'Oumuamua

M239008AD0

Lieutenant JG Zimedia Nijal

Engineering Officer

USS 'Oumuamua

V238208LV0

Ensign Simon Vomek & Rox

"Original" H/C/O Officer & Nurse - Crewman 2nd class

USS Oumuamua NCC-81226

T239811VK2

Lieutenant jg TK Cabrillo

Engineering Officer