JP: LT JG Josh Herrick & Ensign Lhandon Joseph Nilsen: Pasts That Haunt (Part 4)

Thomas Sanderson

Oct 18, 2023, 6:45:03 AM10/18/23
to USS 'Oumuamua – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Mess Hall, Desk 7, USS Oumuamua))

Seeing the PADD light up with the news article gave Josh a renewed sense of confidence in trying to dig a bit deeper into the Ensign’s past — perhaps he was more inclined to talk about that than where the shuttle had been. He tried to broach the subject nonchalantly, as if it was more throwaway small talk.

Herrick: So the other night, we never did get round to details of your second year… ::taking a sip from a juice box:: So, what happened.

The man had hoped that the lack of officers around and the comfort foods were enough to open the ensign up, and he waited with trepidation for his reply and hoped that his poker face was enough.

Nilsen: I mean a lot happened in second year. ::Lhandon sighed::

Herrick: Is… that related? ::looking towards the dimmed screen and raising his eyebrows::

Nilsen: Is what related?

Nilsen eyes locked on to Herrick as if to see what he was about? What was he asking?

Herrick: There was an article that flashed up on your PADD… about a shuttle accident.

It was a delicate dance for Josh; asking something and trying to get the answers he seeked. Outside of his work, the engineer didn’t have many friends — perhaps 1 or 2 that he could truly count on — but that was his own making; he didn’t go out of his way to make them.Then, this opposing force of needing to get every question answered, which had won out in today’s conversation. However, he got more heat than an answer back.

Nilsen: What do you know? About it all? About me? And Finn? And Sh'Mais? And Echo Squad? And that crash.

And in that moment, where he was trying to find all that Herrick knew, Nilsen gave the new chief more information then he realised. Two names, the pilot, his former lover, and his squad.

Herrick: Echo Sq-

Josh didn’t have a chance to finish his sentence as Lhadon cut back in.

Nilsen: Did she put you up to this? Did she SAY GO FRACKING SPEAK TO HIM. FIND OUT WHAT YA CAN GET OUT OF HIM

Herrick: No…No… ::keeping his voice soft and raising his hands in a conciliatory gesture:: she didn’t try to contact me.

The pilot had flown ‘off the handle’ so quickly, just like Paradiso; something Josh had failed to factor in. He also noticed that the few folks that were in the mess had started looking over, the pair becoming more interesting than the menu.

Nilsen: I BET SHE DID! YOU'RE IN THE PERFECT PLACE. IS THAT WHAT THIS WAS ALL ABOUT? MAKE ME FEEL GOOD, TRY TO BE MY FRIEND, LEAD ME ON JUST FOR A FRACKING STORY.

Herrick: (exasperated) I’m not trying to be the next ‘big’ source. I really think there’s been a misunderstanding. I just-

Lhandon wasn't going to hear it.

Nilsen: HOW MUCH? WHAT DID SHE OFFER YOU? ::Quieter:: I was just starting to fracking light you Josh. ::Raising his voice again::. I WAS OPENING UP TO YOU. I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS, FOR FRACKS SAKE, I THOUGHT COULD WE BE (BEAT) SOMETHING. ::quietly:: I don't know anymore.

And, with that, their lunch was over. Josh felt his face redden as everyone’s eyes were on him, lowered his gaze, and his view changed to the crumpled juice boxes which seemed to signal the state of the fragile bond that now hung precariously.

An admission as well, Lhandon was enjoying his time with Josh and he thought they connected and maybe there was a chance for them to have something. For a time, they did.

Herrick: (quietly to himself) Well… that party’s going to be interesting.

After Lhandon left the mess hall, he found his way through the corridors, beyond a state of livid, he yelled ‘Move!’ when some other ensign didn’t get out of the way fast enough. He enters the turbolift and the doors can not close fast enough.

Nilsen: Deck 5

The turbolift travels for a few moments, his breathing getting heavier, he paces around the lift before he calls out.

Nilsen: Computer halt turbolift.

The turbo lift came to a screeching halt and suddenly Lhandon let out a scream and punched the side of the lift. He threw his arms in frustration and his eyes teared up and in that moment he gave into sobbing. He clenched his fist and puts his head in the fold of his arms and leant against the walls.

TBC

Lieutenant JG Josh Herrick

Acting Chief Engineer

USS ‘Oumuamua