Lieutenant jg Jack Kessler Help not always a simple request

1 view

can...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2022, 11:20:35 AM8/11/22
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

((The Forest, Eesse Dome Ship))

Jack looked back to Peri to explain his thoughts. He had not meant to take over the first contact scenario but they were getting nowhere and something had to drive a point across to the Suclese.

Kessler: If they don’t care then we need a way to make them think the SAP is no longer good. Taint it or sour it to a point that it is no longer usable.

Rouiancet: And, maybe, where it stops flowing to.

It was a good idea, but Katsim and Corelli quickly spotted a couple of problems.

Katsim: That could be dangerous for the Eesse. We’d have to be very careful…and we couldn’t do it *here*.

Corelli: There is no way to do that with a tricorder. That would require physical interaction on some chemical level. We still don’t know why they are taking the sap. We don’t know what they are talking about. We don’t know what we don’t know.

Rouiancet: (thoughtful) But I do think what you suggested is possible, Lieutenant Kessler.

Kessler: Right. ::looking around at the trees and the Suclese device::

Jack knew the others were right, but he still felt deflated. There had to be something they could do non-invasively to get the Suclese to stop what they were doing to the Eesse. He turned back to Corelli and was about to ask a question when one of the Suclese Clan spoke up again, this time in a much quieter voice. Lia didn't expect to catch any of it, but the modified translators that Corelli and Kessler had put together were very good, and she caught some of the words.

Maëviloïc: (mumbling) I have heard [enough]. Don't you see, [Berglijð]? Their [troubling intentions] are plain: They will stop our use of sap.

Jack turned back from Corelli and the others to face the Suclese. That sounded to him as if they had understood what or at least some of what the away team had been saying.

Berglijð: [gwk]lp. (beat) [gwk]lp.

The translator couldn't do anything with that sound, but Corelli was quick to advise.

Corelli: Hear that? Whatever he is trying to say, the UT is having a quite difficult time with it. Everyone be calm, let the computer work.

Katsim: Yes sir.

So, they waited. The members of the Suclese Clan seemed content to wait, too, and the Starfleet team likewise remained still and silent. Almost like a standoff, Lia thought, though she didn't care particularly for that comparison, since it implied two opposing sides.

Kessler: ::addressing the Suclese:: Please, can you repeat that again? We are trying to understand your language.

For all Jack knew that was coming out as gibberish on their end but maybe they could understand the away team better than the away team could understand them. At them moment there was no real way of knowing.

The Suclese who had made the sound repeated it for a third time -- and this time, the translator worked quickly, and overlaid the trumpet with its meaning in Standard.

Berglijð: HELP.

Jack took a quick and shallow breath at the word. It was clear and to the point. His heart started to quicken, they were making progress in talking to the Suclese.

Toz: How can we help? Make the replica sap? How?

Katsim: So you heard? They asked for help…

Rouiancet: I heard it, too. That sound, whatever it was, asked for help. Did the rest of you hear?

She looked particularly to Corelli, since he was the one who would have to stand behind the translation.

Corelli: Loud and clear Commander. I think we are beyond first contact at this point?

Kessler: That was clearly a request for help.

Katsim turned left the group of officers and took several tentative steps toward the Suclese. She angled her body slightly toward the one who had trumpeted. Jack turned to follow her forward movement with his eyes an raised his right hand to his side. Lightly perching it on his hip and placed his thumb under the edge of his tunic. Katsim was within touching distance of the Suclese and that tightened Jack’s stomach. They had asked for help but Jack did not like how close she was to these creatures. He knew his phaser was set to stun and was ready to retrieve it from his back at the first sign of trouble.

Katsim: Help. We will help.

Jack watched as Katsim lower one hand and reached out with the other. He could not tell from his vantage point if she was touching the creatures out reached limb or offering to allow it to touch her. His breathing was shallow, eyes were focused and tight on the target. Every muscle in his body tensed waiting for what he hoped was a peaceful exchange, but at the same time he planned his move if something went wrong. The shot he would take, the distance between him and Katsim and the second Suclese. He was running every possible tactic through his head all the time hoping that this was going to end peacefully.

{End of Scene for Jack Kessler}