Ensign Herrick: First Meeting - Check ✔️

markanthonyparker

May 26, 2023, 7:07:40 PM5/26/23
to USS 'Oumuamua – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Arboretum, Deck 2, USS 'Oumuamua ))

Sensing the conversation was ending, Josh wanted to get ahead of his first day by collecting a bit more information on his new boss. He found that his academy courses had run better when he could frame his mind closer to their value set — and it seemed logical to assume it would be the same here.

Herrick: Only one last question, is there any insight you’re willing to share on Lieutenant Corelli? (beat) Just so we start off on the right foot.

V’Airu: He expects a lot, but he's fair. He also fosters a good community among his officers. You may get a pep talk the first time you see him, but he may be just as likely to ask you to address a complex problem before you're even in uniform.

This paralleled what Josh had found in the academy, but he was hoping for a bit more specific to his new Chief — he was about to ask another ‘last question’ but then the Commodore expanded further.

V'Airu: He's a tinkerer, too. If you like to play around with components or ideas, you'll get along well with Corelli.

Herrick: (smiling) An engineer at heart! We tend to excel at taking things apart, it’s the putting them back together that can be the trick. Thank you for sharing that info, I’m looking forward to getting to know him at my first duty shift.

V'Airu: Certainly. And why wait? You might as well introduce yourself if he's around. Or not, as you choose.

Josh thought about this for a moment — he didn’t think about what he’d be doing in his off time, shore leave or otherwise. In the last year at the academy, he had spent all his time writing holo-stories as a creative outlet to blow off the steam from finals. He realized that this was his first social conversation in quite some time.

Herrick: It does seem like a good idea to take advantage of my off duty time to meet folks. I really appreciated our conversation today, Commodore. Have a excellent afternoon.

V'Airu: Same to you, and very good to meet you. Seek me out anytime. (beat) Dismissed.

Herrick nodded and expressed his thanks again, before standing up and throwing the bag’s strap over his shoulder. He took a moment and looked around at his new home, catching the scent of spring from the flowers and smiling. He headed out to explore more; excited to meet his fellow officers.

---

Ensign Josh Herrick

Engineering Officer

USS ‘Oumuamua