Lt. JG Ulasso- Riders of the Storm

Waldo

Aug 15, 2022, 3:14:25 PM8/15/22
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com
((Ulasso's quarters - USS 'Oumuamua))

With the Major back on board, Ulasso was no longer commanding the bridge. He felt relieved at the loss of responsibility, happy to go back to the helm. However a small seed of longing for the feeling of command now rested within him, one that he might not be able to ignore.

Corelli: =/\= Corelli to Lieutenants Kessler, and Ulasso.  Please report to Main shuttlebay for expedition briefing.  Dress for warm weather. Corelli out. =/\=

It seemed Ulasso would be working with Master Corelli once again. The two had crossed paths many times since Ulasso had joined the Thor, and now Oumuamua. Ulasso liked to think they had garnered mutual respect, however it was sometimes hard to tell with the Chief's mannerisms. Ulasso suspected some people might feel the same about him as well. Social interactions were always a bit easier in the 7 forward lounge, however he wasn't able to get in there as much these days as their current mission took all their time and focus. What wasn't spent on that was used catching up on much needed sleep, and then the next day back to work. The Esse didn't have the luxury of time with their sickness, and neither did the Suclese, so that meant working around the clock.

Ulasso: On my way, sir.

Kessler: Response

((Main Shuttle Bay - USS 'Oumuamua))

Ulasso walked into the Main Shuttle Bay and observed the York, now a familiar sight. His eyes wandered to the Valkyrie transport buffer as well. They had busted their butts to get it in place before this mission, just to be informed that it was not mission ready yet and needed further testing before full clearance to be used. Perhaps their next mission, Ulasso could get into one of those babies and show these other "hotshot" Marine pilots what a skilled helmsman could really do.

Corelli: Excellent.  Welcome.  Quick briefing; we are headed to an unexplored planet with possible pre-warp civilization.  Expect low-technological advancement.  Our mission is two fold: assess the nature of the inhabitants, locate the source of the Eessee signal device.  I've taken the liberty of loading the ATB for our use.  Its best to present minimal impact on the population.  I advise one of us meet the locals, while the other two head out to find the source of the signal.

Ulasso: To meet them, do we know what type of clothing they wear? Do they have any religion or beliefs we know of?

Kessler: Response

Corelli: Details I don't have at this moment, Ulasso, if you do not object, we need to do a quick planetary survey, low orbit, and determine the best landing site, and keep the shuttle away from prying eyes.   Jack, how are your anthropology skills?

Ulasso: Shouldn't be a problem sir. May I ask why we need to take the York and the supplies? Won't the Oumumua be able to support with transporters? That would make it easier to remain undeteced if we don't need to bring the York down to the surface.

Kessler: Response

Corelli: No, we will be on our own.  The 'Oumuamua will jump to the planet, drop us off, and then sprint back to escort the Dome Ship the rest of the way.  Load up any supplies you feel necessary for multi-day mission survival.  It'll be hot.

Interesting. They would be on their own on an unknown planet until the Oumuamua showed up. Ulasso wasn't sure what to expect. Hot sounded nice to him however, he just hoped it wasn't too dry. Better pack extra moisturizer.

Ulasso: Sounds like we will need a good supply of hydration we can take away from the shuttle. I'll grab some of the packs with water supply attached.

Kessler: Response

Kammus nodded.

Corelli: As soon as we jump to warp, we should be loaded and ready for launch.

Ulasso watched as Kammus walked down the ramp of the York, and continued loading the small personal bags he had staged next to the shuttle. He took the cue and went and gathered supplies that he would need as well, including the hydration packs. He packed lightweight hoods with a covering you could place over your face, standard supplements for M-class planets that had a higher temperature to keep the sun off skin for too long. Back on his home planet, Saurains would simply cover themselves in mud when the sun was too direct, and it served as good camouflage as well. Ulasso hoped this world was more hot and humid than hot and dry. Saurians did not like a dry heat. Ulasso vigorously applied moisturizer to his hands.

((Shuttle York - Orbit of the M-class planet))

After the Oumuamua had dropped out of warp, the York had left the shuttle bay, and the Oumuamua had left to return to the Dome, the three sat in the York in orbit of the M-class planet. To Ulasso's dismay, it clearly looked like most sections of the planet were covered in large deserts. Ulasso brought the York into low orbit and began a planetary scan. He found some interesting findings.

Ulasso: Sir, I am reading life-signs on the planet that all seem to be clustered in the desert areas of the planet. Interesting choice, as you would think those would be the most in-hospitable areas. Perhaps they live there to avoid predators?

Corelli/Kessler: response

Ulasso: Most of the region is flat, with some canyons, plateaus and valleys. The villages seem to be centered in the valleys, otherwise I would suggest we land there to avoid being seen. There appear to be almost no clouds, so our shuttle will be easily visible on descent to the locals.

Corelli/Kessler: response

Ulasso: I am detecting some kind of large storm. From what I can tell, I believe it is a large scale dust storm. This might be a little unorthodox, but I think I could pilot to the eye of that storm and we could use it for cover to land from prying eyes. It will be extremely bumpy, but the shuttle should hold and I have no doubt I can navigate the storm. These Argos might be slow, but they have more mass than a smaller shuttle and won't get thrown around so much and we could raise deflectors to protect from the dust. After we land, we wait for the storm to pass and then camouflage the shuttle.

Corelli/Kessler: response

Lt. JG Ulasso
(HCO) Officer
USS 'Oumuamua NCC-81226