[[ MISSION BEGINS ]] Commander Etan Iljor: The Sandbox of Man

Michael Meir-Wright

Oct 18, 2023, 4:14:38 PM10/18/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

OOC: So for this scene, I was inspired by Battlestar Galactica, most notably the early second season episodes set on Kobol.

“The Sandbox of Man”

First Officer’s Log, Stardate 240010.16.

Despite the recent changes aboard the ‘Oumuamua- and Lieutenant Kessler’s… uncertain status- life must go on, whether we want it to or not. Adjusting to the new status quo must happen- as humans are fond of saying- happen ‘on the job’. While we will not forget our former colleagues or give up searching for our missing officer- if he is out there- the ‘Oumuamua has arrived at Alpha Brenkelvi II, an uninhabited M-Class planet on the fringes of the Obatta Cluster.

We have been brought to this distant world by data collected- in part- by our former Chief Medical Officer, Doctor Kel, whose scans of the region pointed to the presence of ruins and data from our Long Range Multispatial Probes have corroborated this- and have identified that some of the ruins are over 60,000 years old. Our mission is exploration and discovery: to survey this uncharted world and discern what happened to the civilization that once called this idyllic world home here. On a personal note, as an archaeologist and anthropologist, this mission presents a unique opportunity to hone my skills.

‘Oumuamua has arrived in orbit, and final preparations for the planetary and archaeological surveys are complete. Lieutenant Commander Katsim will lead an away team to the ruins of what appears to have been Alpha Brenklevi II’s largest city in order to learn more about its inhabitants. She will have support from Counselor Brodie, Lieutenant Promontory, and Ensign Tyber- all of whom have excellent analytical eyes.

Meanwhile, I will take a team to investigate a strange low-level energy field that seems to permeate an area approximately sixty kilometres north of the city. Intriguingly, the field does not always register on sensors- nor can we discern its dimensions. It is as though it is- and is not there. Joining me are Lieutenants Herricks and Arlill and 2nd Lieutenant Maxwell.

Commodore V’Airu will remain in command of the ‘Oumuamua, with Lieutenants Sherlocks and Toz, Captain Winters, and Ensign Nilsen also aboard. They will provide logistical support from orbit, liaising with both teams on the ground to ensure our mission goes smoothly.

Or as smoothly as things go with our crew.

((  Landing Site, Alpha Brenkelvi II ))

Emerging from the Nichols, Iljor breathed the crisp mountain air in deeply and allowed it to reinvigorate his senses. Morning had broken over the peaks of three towering mountains in the distance, casting a beautiful pink light over the valley that the away team had landed in. Reeds, ferns and knee-length grass stretched from the Nichols to the edge of a serene lake several hundred metres away and to a great canopy of trees in the other direction. It was a stunning sight, cloaked in a light mist that would dissipate as the day went on.

The energy field was particularly strong in this region, although a vast number of sensor scans- both from orbit and as the Nichols descended- showed that the risk to life was minimal. There was still no explanation for its presence or why its dimensions remained elusive, which meant that they had a true scientific mystery on their hands.

Adding to the enigma were signs of habitation sometime in the planet’s past. The remains of buildings cast in stone were dotted about the landscape, monuments to a forgotten civilisation. Who were they? What did they look like? How did they live? Did they wake every morning and appreciate the natural world around them? Did they live with the energy field? Had they created it? Were they even aware of it?

Iljor took several moments to look around, soaking in the slight chill in the air and the lush natural world. He breathed in deeply, and allowed his anxieties to recede for a few precious moments.

Etan: This is quite something. :: he said appreciatively. ::

Arlill / Herrick / Maxwell: Response.

Iljor lingered in his contentment for several more seconds, before pulling himself back to the present and refocusing on his thoughts on the task at hand. He turned to the trio of officers accompanying him.

Etan: I want everyone to equip VRDs for the duration of our time here. :: beat :: You not might not spot something in the moment, but with these, we can always go back and analyse footage.

Arlill / Herrick / Maxwell: Response.

Etan: Before we begin, let’s stop to consider for the moment. Has anyone here encountered a phenomena like this before?

Arlill / Herrick / Maxwell: Response.

Etan: We should be vigilant. This planet may be devoid of life, but there are still a thousand and one ways for nature to inflict harm. :: he let the warning sink in, before continuing. :: Lieutenants Arlill and Herrick: what equipment have you brought to assist us with this assignment?

Arlill / Herrick: Response.

Etan: Very good. Please proceed. ::he turned to the Marine.:: Mr. Maxwell, I’d like you to put together a search grid where we can get plenty of readings of this strange energy field.

He looked around, as if expecting to see something that indicated that the existence of the phenomena. But all he saw was the beauty of the natural world.

Arlill / Herrick: Response.

Commander Etan Iljor

Executive Officer

USS ‘Oumuamua