Ensign Josh Herrick: Getting space

Mark P

Sep 23, 2023, 6:22:00 PM9/23/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

((Sickbay, Deck 7, USS Oumuamua))

Josh was wondering if he’d chosen the wrong profession, only because of how much time he had been spending in Sickbay since he'd been posted to the ship; it rivaled his time in Main Engineering. And, while he was thankful for getting treated for the Caesium-137 that caused him to turn radioactive, he’d be glad to be out of there. The only bright spot, for better or worse, would be seeing the chief.

Since the Esh-o colony away mission including their brief stint on the Nautilus, the chief had been pretty wrapped up — never a dull moment. He reflected back to how Corelli reacted when they were transported onboard, he knew more about that ship then he let on. An enigma to be unwrapped later.

The sickbay doors whisked open; Josh had been sitting up on the bio-bed but turned to get a better view of the newest entrant, his legs now hanging over the side of the bio-bed. The ensign was greeted with the sight of the young Deltan man, sporting his usual reflective shine. Josh smiled and waggled his eyebrows.

Herrick: Chief!

Corelli: Greetings! Oh hey there Josh! Medical or Engineering?

Miash: We’re all medical, I think you’re engineering dear. (beat) Do you feel ok, any dizziness or disorientation?

Kel: ::chuckling:: I don't think that's what he means.

T’Larn: Nurse, was that humor? Well done. I have more research for you to read should be willing to explore humor some more.

Corelli: No I meant is it me, or you? Are you here to work on me, or am I here to work on you?

Kel: We're helping you this time. Herrick and I picked up something in those mines. I want to have you checked as well.

Kovacs: Response

T’Larn: We are covering all the basis and simply taking the path of caution.

Kovacs: Response

Corelli: What do you mean in the caves?

Herrick: Somehow, the Doc and I became radioactive, and I’ve been irradiating other crew members. Another typical day.

Kovacs: Response

Miash: You have nothing to worry about dear, this procedure has already been tested. ::winking at Kovacs and Herrick::

T’Larn: And you will be pleased to hear that it is currently a resounding success.

Kovacs: Response

Corelli: You got bit by one of them evil flying creatures V'len threw a rock at - I knew it. Dead.

Herrick: Errr… ::looking to the Doctor::

Kel: Not exactly chief. I think we may have inhaled something.

Miash: Well, that’s what we all thought at first, (beat) that you were doomed, but our snappy doctor here figured it all out. (beat) Well with this young lady’s help :: tilting her head towards

T’Larn: Nurse?

Kel: Mostly with this young lady's help ::nodding to T'Larn::.

T’Larn: I am simply doing my job. This originally was not in my remit but you this turn of events has given me valuable insight for my research.

Josh noticed that the dynamic had shifted between Miash and T’Larn. Before his treatment, it’d seemed like they were jockeying on who was most capable. Now, this shift to complimenting each other felt… of, but it was certainly heading in a better direction.

Kovacs: Response

Corelli: Don't try to tell me how to diagnose an engineer. What do you think I do around here?

Miash: Well obviously keep this ship running tip top shape.

Miash: ::she went over and took the engineer by the arm:: This way dear. ::leading him to a biobed::

Kel: Mr. Corelli you're in good hands, try to relax.

T’Larn: This procedure is very simple. We will inject an hypospray with 5CC’s of Lectrazine which will act as a marker for the Caesium-137 that you have brought back from the mine. Then we will use the transporters to slowly remove it from your body. I must (pause) say jolly good job to Kovas for suggesting the use of the transporter. Chief if you will, please lie on this bio bed.

The chief laid back in the bio-bed and the thrum of the field activating pierced the brief moment of silence.

Herrick: Lieutenant, we seem to spend a fair amount of time here…

Corelli: Response

Herrick: Yes, I guess we have a pre-disposition to ending up here. I should hang some pictures or something, make it a bit more home-y.

Corelli / Kovacs: Response

Kel: ::turning to T'Larn and Miash:: I have a message incoming from Starfleet Medical. Make sure Corelli is clean, then give Herrick, Corelli, and Kovacs 20 minutes in the regeneration field.

Miash: Yes doctor (beat) we’ve got this dea… (beat) doctor.

T’Larn: Yes, we have this hand.

Corelli / Kovacs: Response

Kel: I'll expect you each to come back once a day for the next three days for another 20 minute regeneration treatment. I want to make sure there's no permanent cellular damage. I'll start my regeneration shortly.

Miash: Oh wonderful, it will be like a reunion.

T’Larn: Nurse Miash, you made a joke. That was positively hilarious.

Josh looked at Kovacs, his jovial mood a bit more suppressed. Miash’s description of a reunion was apt; there were people you’d want to see and those that you could take or leave. He’d make a point of visiting when Kovacs was on duty; he couldn’t handle their paths crossing for the foreseeable future. The man would probably find a different way to put him on report.

Herrick: ::looking at Kovacs, his jovial mood a bit more muted:: Yeah, like a family reunion.

Corelli / Kovacs / Herrick: Response

As the Doctor walked out of the main medical area, Miash walked Herrick and Kovacs over to a large cylindrical device that seemed to be a quasi-sonic shower. There was only a single bay, and Josh noted that it would only fit one. Small blessings, he thought to himself.

He motioned for Kovacs to go in first. There were two reasons for this, first being that he just wanted space from the man. The second was that it looked cramped and not an ideal place to spend even 20 minutes.

Kovacs: Response

Herrick: No, no. (more sternly) I insist.

Kovacs gave him a somewhat disappointed look, before stepping into the machine. As it activated, a small partition separated the two men. Josh assumed that it was to make sure the field focused on the intended subject.

As he looked back towards the Chief, it looked like he’d completed the first part of the treatment as T’Larn had pointed him towards where Josh was now, and the man started walking towards him.

(OOC: Kovacs tags will drop here, since the other folks have ended their scene’s here, I was thinking we could branch this off to some quality Kammus/Josh time 😊)

Herrick: We meet again… ::smiling broadly::

Corelli: Response

Herrick: (beat) By the way, I’ve been meaning to ask. How were you so familiar with the Nautilus, what was it designed for, what’s it doing out here, …

He stopped; he didn’t mean to ask them all at once, but his curiosity got the better of him. Mysteries were just puzzles waiting to be solved, but sometimes others held the key pieces.

Corelli: Response

Herrick: (disappointed) Hm, it seems a bit ‘hush, hush.’ Not the side of Starfleet that I’m particularly fond of, but I can see how compartmentalization helps increase safety amongst the fleet. So… (beat) what else have you been up to lately?

Corelli: Response

Tags/TBC

---

Ensign Josh Herrick