Ensign Herrick: Don't make it go boom!

Mark P

Aug 1, 2023, 5:31:04 PM8/1/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

((Central Mining Office - Viamatellum, Central Tholus - Esh-o Colony))

As the York crew shuffled in after the energetic Nephesh, a much larger and rotund Esh-o was visible sitting behind a desk cluttered with tools and papers. As he spoke, the cadence and timbre felt that of an authority figure.

Engish-go-ondesh: ::regarding Nephesh:: Who have you dragged into my office this time, nephew? ::looking at the Starfleet officers:: I'm afraid I can't help you all with jobs, I'm rather busy. Aphris seems to have sent a nebula monster to eat my mines.

Corelli: Oh, actually we're here to stop the nebula monsters from eating your asteroid and destroying the colony.

Kel: ::picking his hat up off his head:: Hello there.

Herrick: Nice to meet you, you are Engish-go-ondesh? oO The big cheese here? Oo

Nephesh : ::enthusiastically:: He’s the BIGGEST cheese here!

The engineer had been caught a bit off guard by the response of the youngling. He hadn’t read anything about telepathy in their file — was he a rare occurrence, was it common in children, or was this what helped them resist the effects of the nebula.

Worried that the UT might mistakenly translate his intent, he looked towards Engish-go-ondesh and clarified.

Herrick: Um… ::scratching the back of his head:: (beat) The big boss.

He looked back to Nephesh; while they were here to fix the dissolving asteroid, it would be helpful to gather as much data from the Esh-o on all nebula-related things.

Herrick: ::curiously looking between Nephesh and Engish-go-ondesh:: Do you hear all our thoughts?

Engish-go-ondesh/Corelli/Kel/Richards: Response

Herrick: Just curious; you may have heard that the effects of the nebula have had a deleterious effect on foreigners like us. Thankfully, we’ve been able to come up with some alternative solutions. ::tapping his unofficial Starfleet crown::

Engish-go-ondesh/Corelli/Kel/Richards: Response

The topic shifted back to the urgent matter at hand; this new development would have to wait until the colony was safe.

Engish-go-ondesh: ::folding his arms and regarding the aliens:: My engineers have been trying to figure out something for days. We've even paid the Zet for consultation. ::sourly:: With nothing to show for it. Why should I believe you can help?

Corelli: Starfleet engineers have a way of dealing with such things. By the way, who is this yelling Zet? Something about paying for parking?

The Esh-o rolled back his chair to get up from his desk and strode over towards them. Evidently the conversation had been busy enough to draw his attention physically toward the matter.

Engish-go-ondesh: He's simply the Zet handler for the area. We've outsourced some of the cleaning and maintenance activities to the Zet. He reports up the ladder to some higher up. If you ask me he has something stuck in his posterior.

Kel: I could take a look at that for him. I'm a doctor.

Nephesh: Don’t help the Zet. They don’t help anyone else unless they get money.

The corner of Josh’s mouth turned upward at the universal translator’s conversion of the old colloquialism. And, at the doctor’s genuine offer to help.

Richards: Response

Engish-go-ondesh: ::looking at Corelli and Herrick:: So engineers (beat) what is your plan?

Corelli: Oh the plan! Yes, well we need you to split this asteroid in half.

Kel: Obviously we'll need to make sure everyone is safe, but once we split your asteroid we can pull the safe end away from the nebula.

Nephesh: “Split the asteroid!?” How would you do that? (beat, then excited) Do you have space lasers!?

Josh smiled at the energy Nephesh brought to the conversation; he tried to remember what he’d been like at that age — just as curious and excited? Lasers would be a good option, if they would actually cut through the rock.

Richards: Response

Engish-go-ondesh: I think you should have brought more doctors along. If you don't do it just right you could do as much damage as the nebula.

Herrick: Your concern is valid sir. (beat) That’s why it would be helpful if you were able to share any data you have about the asteroid this colony sits on. Composition, density, how the tunnels are structured. The more precise you are, the better our chances would be.

Corelli: Oh yes, see, we don't want to do it for you, we actually need your assistance.  It's your mine.

Kel / Richards: Response

Engish-go-ondesh: The asteroid is full of passages, several of which lead far from here and toward the nebula. We have explosives that would allow for a big bang. ::pausing:: How do you propose to move the colony once the separation has occurred. Assuming we're not all dead.

Corelli: The 'Oumuamua

Nephesh: What’s an ‘ooh-moo-moo?’

Herrick: (smiling) The ‘Oumuamua name of our ship. The little vessel sitting in your arboretum is just a fraction of its size — I like moo moo tho as a nickname.

Richards: Response

A holographic display appeared in the centre of those in the room, showcasing the asteroid and the tunnels that lay within. Concern etched Josh’s face as he interpreted what he was seeing. The further in, the more dense it got.

Looking at the map, the best location to lay the explosives was painfully clear. The main shaft ran deep through the asteroid, making it the most viable candidate to have a relatively clean split.

However, this meant that the mining operation would be severely impacted — most likely for years, if not decades. He was sure the others had come to the same conclusion, maybe even the Esh-o himself. But, given the magnitude of the issue, he though he’d leave it to the more senior officers to address.

Engish-go-ondesh: We can place explosives anywhere in the mining network. There are several sites to choose from.

Corelli: I see the problem. We can help you build a solution, but people don't like change.

Nephesh: ::hopeful:: Are we going to blow the colony up to smithereens!?

Engish-go-ondesh/Corelli/Kel/Richards: Response

Herrick: What exactly is it that you mine here?

Engish-go-ondesh/Corelli/Kel/Richards: Response

Herrick: Dilithium… hm… we’ll have to place those charges with precision, not much margin for error.

He wondered how much dilithium the Esh-o used given that they were more likely to stay close to home than dance among the stars. This little asteroid might be enough to serve the needs of the entire system — moreso for power generation than warp travel.

Engish-go-ondesh/Corelli/Kel/Richards: Response

Herrick: Dilithium… hm… we’ll have to place those charges with precision, not much margin for error. Where would we put them?

Engish-go-ondesh/Corelli/Kel/Richards: Response

Kel: ::looking at Engish:: Can I ask how many people are in this colony? More importantly, how many can you evacuate if necessary?

Engish-go-ondesh: There are 9,287 souls here. I have transport for 2, maybe 3000.

Corelli: That leaves 2,287.  That's not going to work.  We would need a larger ship.

Nephesh: Do you know of a larger ship?

Richards: Response

Kel: We should contact Oumuamua. We need them to come here to rescue these people in case our plan fails.

Corelli: The York is down, and with heavy interference I'm not sure it would be powerful enough to reach the ship.  Perhaps the colony has a transponder?

This time, when Nephesh spoke, concern had edged into their voice.

Nephesh: I think I should go check-in with my parents.

Richards / Engish-go-ondesh: Response

Herrick: But that leaves a shortfall of 2,000 folks since the ‘Oumuamua can only carry about 4,000 evacuees. There isn’t enough room. Are there any other decently-sized crafts in the vicinity?

Nephesh: ::sullenly:: No. The biggest ships that come through here are Zet carriers, but they’re not scheduled to stop by here again until next week.

Kel / Richards / Engish-go-ondesh: Response

Corelli: I don't think the Esh-o have large ships?

The lights dimmed for a moment, as they had been all over the place recently.

Herrick: Is that normal, or something new?

Nephesh: It’s been happening a lot lately—more the last couple of days.

Herrick: Can you show me where the shields end on here?

Engish-go-ondesh: Response

Herrick: It seems like the part of the nebula that’s feeding on your home is forcing its way through your shields. That might explain some of the power fluctuations — they aren’t powerful enough to counter the effects.

Corelli / Kel / Richards / Engish-go-ondesh: Response

Corelli: ::speaking in a lower tone:: =/\= Corelli calling! 'Oumuamua, come in please =/\=

Kel / Richards / Engish-go-ondesh: Response

Crackling noises emitted from the speaker and Corelli tried again.

Corelli:  You know, if there is a larger ship, that would help.  Maybe the Zet have one? Doubt it... ::he pressed the transmit button again:: =/\= Corelli calling 'Oumuamua, come in 'Oumuamua =/\=

 Finally they were able to connect with their ship.

Nilsen: =/\= This is the ‘Oumuamua. We read you =/\=

Corelli / Kel / Richards / Engish-go-ondesh: Response

Nephesh: Does that mean we’re not going to get blowed up?

Herrick: ::looking down at Nephesh:: I certainly hope not — we’re here with you.

Corelli / Kel / Richards / Engish-go-ondesh: Response

Nephesh: I think I better go home now!

Josh reflected on his statement as Nephesh ran out of the room. Perhaps he could have phrased it a little more reassuring for the child — not that his home might have blown up as soon as Starfleet left.

The power flickered again, and static came and went as Corelli continued his dialogue with the ‘Oumuamua.

Corelli / Kel / Richards / Herrick / Engish-go-ondesh / Nilsen: Response

Josh walked up towards the panel underneath the hologram, the controls were slowly starting to appear more recognizable as they settled in his brain. It was interesting how, even though they may evolve in separate quadrants how some things, like panel controls were somewhat similar. There were only so many ways to organize information.

Herrick: Do you mind if I take a look at your shields? I want to see what state their in?

Engish-go-ondesh: Response

Josh tapped a few controls on the panel, and tapped back out of a few incorrect menus as he learned his way around — like a kid learning to read. Then, the shields appeared. His suspicion was confirmed when he saw the shields operating at maximum.

Herrick: Lieutenants, it looks like the shields have slowed the nebula somewhat. It’s because of their protection that the colony has another 79 hours.

Corelli / Kel / Richards / Herrick / Engish-go-ondesh: Response

Herrick: I’m not exactly sure how the rate would change if the shields go down. But, this nebula seems to be feeding or converting — Doctor, if we thought of it like a hungry lifeform would we be able to calculate it?

Corelli / Kel / Richards / Herrick / Engish-go-ondesh: Response

---

Ensign Josh Herrick

Engineering Officer

USS ‘Oumuamua