LTJG Josh Herrick: Explain

Mark P

Dec 5, 2023, 9:05:14 AM12/5/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

(( Ancient Outpost - Interior, Alpha Brenkelvi II ))

The team had made first contact; however, the exchange of information wasn’t easy. Carbon-based and chroniton-based entities seemed to communicate differently, and it reminded him of the unclassified mission reports that Sisko had with his encounters of the Prophets. Where some would say that you would need to interpret the will of the gods, it was more about finding a base of common understanding.

Arlill had been helpfully speaking aloud while signing with these beings that took on the image of their family members, which made it easier for Josh to understand. So far, they’d gathered that these people had been here eons ago, and they’d be here until the universe winked out of existence. But, Josh wanted to know more, and took a rather direct approach.

Herrick: You led us here, what do you want from us?

Josh wasn’t confident that his hollow pip allowed him to be so direct; but he tried to embrace the commander’s passion to seek out answers. He wasn’t going to be on the command track for long if he kept deferring to others, and in the worst case, he’d get a reprimand or some coaching.

When the final word left his lips, the Bajoran spun around to face him. The engineer didn’t know exactly how to read the expression on the first officer’s face, but at least he could tell it wasn’t anger. As Toxin resumed, they returned their attention back to the aliens.

W. Herrick / Being: {This world was empty until you came here.} :: there was a pause and then- :: {We wish to learn. About you.}

Etan: You’re :: beat:: lonely?

Josh’s dad nodded his head, a hint of sadness creeping into his eyes.

Maxwell: How... ::he glanced at the XO:: How can we help?

W. Herrick / Being: {We were once of this world. We lived and died here for millennia after millenia. We found this place and we ascended. But we kept watch over our…} :: for a moment William paused:: { …home. We watched as others came here. They settled, lived and died. We would appear to them, appearing as figments of their memories to calm them during times of distress or conflict. Over time, our appearances gave rise to legends and myths- civilisations from all over would come to visit and worship. We became known as the ‘Spirits of the Deceased’. We saw that our presence brought many comforts and helped them to accept their losses- and so we found a new purpose.}

Arlill: Response.

Etan: You helped the grieving to move on. :: he said with obvious reverence. ::

The father figure offered a slow nod.

W. Herrick / Being: {You understand. As we hoped.}

It was a lot for the engineer to process; he wasn’t sure which way to take it. Was he offended that these beings were masquerading as ghosts that had passed through the veil or was he appreciative that they were helping people rather thanklessly. It wasn’t for him to judge, so he just let the conversation continue.

Maxwell: The visions, sir....?

Arlill: Response.

Etan: Wait a minute. You said that your people found this place. :: he motioned in the air around him, indicating the outpost as a whole. :: You didn’t build it?

As the image shook his head, Josh wondered who could’ve founded all the majesty around them if not for these ethereal people, and the commander seemed to be thinking in the same vein.

Etan: Then who did? Do you know?

Again, he shook his head.

Maxwell: Are there any records here? Something tae provide that information?

Arlill / Herrick / Etan: Response.

With one hand, the being motioned behind him. Indicating the vast array of Max's ancestors.

Maxwell: Commander, I think these people are also the records of this place......

Arlill / Etan / Being: Response.

Herrick: ::stepping a bit forward, and nodding towards his ‘dad’:: You’re.. I mean… he’s not dead. So, you’re not exactly his spirit… or his record… right?

W. Herrick / Being: {You’re not the same as your companions. They carry more people with them. You are new. Fresh.}

Herrick: ::turning to Toxin:: Fresh?

Arlill / Maxwell / Etan: Response.

W. Herrick / Being: {You do not have many memories of people passed that are carried with you, so we looked for someone you trusted.} ::the father figure smiled:: {This is he.}

Then something shifted in the atmosphere; all of the faces in the crowed shifted from either pleasant and neutral to one of confusion. The images looked at each other, then towards the away team.

W. Herrick / Being: {We do not understand.}

Herrick: oO You’ll need to give us more to go on. Oo

Arlill / Maxwell / Etan: Response.

W. Herrick / Being: {What does your vessel do?}

The crowd looked up, and an image of the Oumuamua appeared floating above them. There, they could see the grandiose Luna-class ship. It took a second for him to figure out why they were showing the vessel, but then it registered.

Herrick: The deflectors have been activated…

Arlill / Maxwell / Etan: Response.

W. Herrick / Being: {We do not understand.}

Arlill / Maxwell / Etan / Being: Response.

---

Lieutenant JG Josh Herrick

Acting Chief Engineer

USS ‘Oumuamua