Ensign Josh Herrick: Form B74-whatsit

markanthonyparker

Jun 16, 2023, 6:12:26 PM6/16/23
to USS 'Oumuamua – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Communal Sonic Shower Area, Deck 8, USS-’Oumuamua ))

Josh’s eyes were closed as he let the sonic waves pulse over him, enjoying the gentle massage of waves pulsing over him. His body was still a bit stiff and sore, and this seemed to help loosen him up before he was due to start his first duty shift since the accident. When he reopened his eyes, a familiar closing-in sensation enveloped him and he swore that the cubicle started to get warm.

Herrick quickly ended the sequence and stepped out; another ensign quickly jumping at the open spot. He realized a queue had quickly formed. Demand outpacing the few stalls the ship had on this deck. The engineer seemed to perpetually cause lines, whether it was out of order restrooms or preparing for work.

Herrick: Sorry!

He made his face as apologetic as possible as he passed several impatient folks, making his way to the locker that held a new made-to-measure uniform. Like others in the locker room, after he was clad with all the standard clothes, he polished the final touches to look Academy-spec ready.  It was while he was fussing with some rather uncooperative hair that his combadge came to life.

Computer: =/\= Ensign Herrick, report to Deck 2, First Officer Commander Etan’s office. =/\=

Herrick:  :: tapping the combadge :: =/\= Acknowledged =/\=

Crewman Spinelli: You’re getting popular Herrick! ::poking him in the ribs:: No surprises today, hey!

Crewman Tarrahl: Spinelli! Let him get back to it, I wouldn’t mean another week of shore leave.

Herrick rubbed the back of his head, his face getting flushed. The ribbing was good-natured fun, but he felt this would be his claim to fame on the ‘Oumuamua, at least for the foreseeable future.

Herrick: I think we just need to hold hands and collectively pray that today goes well.

Spinelli: Or… you just need to be better prepared.

The crewman reached into his locker and pulled out a small item and tossed it to Herrick. Josh, barely catching the small metal object, held it up for closer inspection. It was a small decorative plasma extinguisher.

Spinelli: It’s magnetic. You can place it on your locker.

Tarrahl: And we’ll ALL know who it belongs to.

The pair started laughing, and Josh could see how it could be humorous if it wasn’t him.

Herrick: Um… thanks?

Tarrahl: Any time Herrick, good luck with the Commander.

As the crewman left for their duty shifts, Josh finally wrangled the last wiley hairs and made his way up to Etan’s office.

(( Fast-forward: Deck 2, USS-‘Oumuamua ))

Getting summoned to the first officer felt a bit like getting called to the principal’s office. He stood in front of the door for a few seconds, pondering what lay in store. After a few slow breaths to center himself, he pressed the chime.

Etan: It's open! :: he called. ::

Josh thanked the gods that Etan’s voice was not stern as his imagination had built up. As the doors slid open, he spotted both the commander and a Tellerite he didn’t recognize.

Etan: Ensign Herrick. :: he held out his hand. :: thank you for coming, and welcome to the 'Oumuamua.

The engineer nodded to each of the outranking officers as he stepped into the office. Then, his body tensed and stiffened into that still fresh Academy snap to attention. His body stiffened up, his direction pointed towards his commander.

Herrick: Engineering Officer Ensign Josh Herrick, reporting as requested sir.

In his peripheral vision, he saw the other man visibly unhappy. Confirmed by a likely unneeded clearing of a throat.

Etan: Ensign Herrick Lieutenant Commander Faarkand jav Klaaf from Starfleet Humanoid Resources? Commander Faarkand, Ensign Josh Herrick.

As Faarkand jav Klaaf continued made another noise that started to make Josh feel less confident in how these proceedings would unfold. He sat, rather uncomfortably. Josh didn’t really have a poker face, and this was further validated by the executive officer likely seeing the concern on his face and elaborating further.

Etan: Ensign, I want to stress that you are not in any trouble, and there is no need to be concerned. Starfleet- ::he shot Klaaf a thinly veiled look of contempt. :: -simply wants to establish the timeline of events that led to the accident. :: beat :: Why don't you start by telling us your recollection of events?

Herrick: (puzzled) Sir?... I filed my official duty report while I was recovering in Sickbay. I assure you that I didn’t leave anything out.

Etan/Klaff: Response

Herrick: (voice slightly raising) Jefferies’ tubes are a perfectly acceptable means of getting around the ship. Just because a turbolift exists doesn’t mean that one must use it.

Etan/Klaff: Response

Herrick: There’s a specific form for Jefferies tube for temporal- and plasma-related injuries that include a junior and senior officer?!

Herrick regretted his B grade that he got in the Starship Emergencies course; perhaps this was one of the concepts that he missed during his studies.

Etan/Klaff: Response

Herrick: I don’t know if the chief filed Form B74-whatsit before taking the panel off. Wouldn’t that

Etan/Klaff: Response

Josh was starting to wonder who this guy was; most of the officers he had met were more concerned with keeping the ship intact and not rubber-stamping forms.

Etan/Klaff: Response

---

Tags! and TBC!

---