JP: Lt JG Promontory & Lt Kessler & Rox & Johnson & Ens Herrick & Ens Tyber & Lt JG Nijal & Ens Vomek & Ens Dahlquist: JOPA: The Next Generation Part 4

Joel Cannistraro

May 25, 2023, 5:22:23 PM5/25/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

JOPA: The Next Generation Part 4

((Mission Pod - Deck B - USS ‘Oumuamua))

There was nothing left but socialization. Avander keyed in the last pre-set command on his PADD. The entire pond blinked out and a table was transported into its place. The macro continued, sending commands to the replicators and the transporters in turn. In a moment, the table was covered with a wide assortment of frozen confectioneries. Avander had instructed the computer to give them “one of every flavor” of previously ordered ice creams and… there were some interesting choices. The pepperoni pizza ice cream seemed intriguing and he wasn’t sure if the fish n chips ice cream would be better or worse than the raktajino and gagh. The moba fruit ice cream was probably good and the Romulan ale-favored one was sure to be popular. Avander wasn’t sure if he could tell the difference between the pok tar and oskoid-flavored dishes. Perhaps he would watch what others enjoyed first.

Promontory: Dig in!

Vomek: ::to Arlill:: So, Toxin. Are you more a helm guy or a nops guy?

Vomek:  Well it’s just that I’m the original helmsman of the Oumuamua. I gave it up for Ulasso, but I’m interested in recapturing the role.  I’m taking some steps to improve my skills in that regard.

Vomek: Yes, I have other skills like linguistics.  But let’s face it, we don’t hear about many great linguists like we do Sulu’s and Paris’s.

Vomek: I just don’t want there to be competition between us for the role. If there is competition we should look for a way to keep it friendly.

By friendly, Vomek meant not physically violent.  He had not ruled out possible subterfuge.

After mustering up the confidence to try the pepperoni pizza-flavored ice cream after skipping dinner, Josh recognized some of the folks from the corridors over the last several weeks. His hands started to feel hot again at the thought of striking up conversations with ‘mostly strangers’, but his ice cream seemed immune from the effects.

Herrick: I didn’t think the pranking part was actually real. (Nervous chuckle) I’m not sure exactly who/what/how I might even go about doing it — it feels a bit more intense than playing a joke on new first years.

Hearing their conversation Rox could not help but interject.

Rox: Just you boys keep in mind what I said.  If something happens to V’Len I’m in charge of medicine until a new CMO shows up.  ::grinning wickedly::  Lobotomies are my speciality.

Herrick: ::scratching the back of his head:: That might keep me up at night.

It wasn’t true of course, but Rox could not help but watch over V’Len as a sort of penance.  They could prank him provided it stayed within safe limits.

Now, as the thought of brain matter was in his mind, when he poked his spoon in the pepperoni ice cream, it became significantly less appealing.

Herrick: I’ll only let you poke around in there if you can get rid of my irrational fear of clowns. Do that, and the rest of it is yours. ::he winked::

As the social event really got under way Jack, having grabbed a towel and dried off best he could, found Avander and pulled him aside.

Kessler: ::grinning at the prank still:: Well played my friend. That was a great send off and I want you to know that I have every confidence in you and JOPA going forward. You’ve got a great head on your shoulders and the people in this room will benefit from you and your experiences.

Promontory: ::smiling back, pretenses dropped:: Thank you, that’s kind. And you deserved a good send-off. It won’t be the same without you. I don’t know if I can keep Rox in line half as well as you do.

Kessler: I’m always here if you need anything. ::looking at his clothes:: In the meantime, I am going to take my leave and allow you and the others to enjoy this time. Keep them in line and on a fun course mon-capitan!

Jack patted Avander on the shoulder and headed for the doors leading out of the room. These young officers had much more fun coming and Jack would miss being a part of it for sure.

Avander watched Jack exit. A swell of unexpected emotion welled up in him. Jack had shown them all the value of JOPA and with the camaraderie that had developed, the members of this association were sure to follow him on to great things. Avander surveyed the rest of the attendees. It was a good showing and the ice cream was a good call–it was like his folks always used to say, ‘the fastest way to an officer’s heart is through their stomach!’ Even the future cadet was being well taken care of, chatting with an ensign who’s name Avander couldn’t quite remember. The future of JOPA was bright.

*******

Simming by:

Lt JG Avander Promontory

Intelligence Officer

USS Oumuamua

O239910AP4

&

Lieutenant Jack Kessler

Chief Tactical Officer

USS Oumuamua

T239901JK1

&

Rox

Nurse

T239811VK2

She/Her (character)

He/Him (player)

&

Zarah Johnson

Civilian

USS 'Oumuamua

M239008AD0

&

Ensign Josh Herrick

Engineering Officer

USS ‘Oumuamua

Writer ID: O240005JH3

&

Ensign Tyber

Security officer

USS Oumuamua

O240001CT3

&

Lieutenant JG Zimedia Nijal

Engineering Officer

USS 'Oumuamua

V238208LV0

he/him/his (player) & she/her/hers (this character)

&

Ensign Simon Vomek

H/C/O Officer

USS Oumuamua NCC-81226