Commander Rouiancet: Shieldmakers

tonyrc...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2022, 3:25:01 PM8/14/22
to USS 'Oumuamua – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((Conference Room, Deck 1, USS 'Oumuamua ))

A brief stint back on the 'Oumuamua had lasted just long enough for Lia to grab some rest and catch up on the reports from the other teams. Major Greaves' discussions with the Eesse elders seemed productive, even if it had centered around the aliens -- the Suclese -- that Lia and Toz had encountered with Katsim's away team. The 'Oumuamua crew told plenty of stories through their reports, too, and their encounters with the dome ship's drones -- or whatever they had been -- sounded equally terrifying and exciting.

Major Greaves had summoned her, along with a handful of other officers, just after she'd finished catching up with the reports. It was the best time to confront the multi-pronged problems of this encounter, she reflected, as her head buzzed with the Eesse and the Suclese.

Greaves: Thanks for coming up team.

Corelli and Katsim, both of whom were present, alongside Toz, nodded.

Rouiancet: Of course, Major. What's the plan?

She knew, or at least she suspected, that something must have changed, if Greaves had summoned several senior officers -- and if nothing had changed, then he intended to change something. Indeed:

Greaves: My goal is to help both the Suclese and the Eesse if we can, but I’m not even sure if we can make that happen. I don’t want to fight the Suclese if we don’t have to. We’re lucky Berglijð has been working with us, but the other Suclese faction is still killing the Eesse.

Katsim: We need to find out more about the Suclese.

Rouiancet: Agreed. We established an initial dialogue, but...

She broke off, unsure how to continue for a moment. Thanks to the work of Katsim, Corelli, and Kessler, they had been able to communicate with the Suclese pair after several false starts, but their dialogue had veered between complete refusal of further interaction and a final call for help. Lia wasn't surprised, therefore, to hear that the Suclese were still at odds.

Rouiancet: If we want to know more, we should continue the conversation with the Suclese.

Corelli: It makes sense. Perhaps the best answer is to ask how exactly they are using the sap, or if the sap is even important. It could be some random particle they need, and the sap simply carries it? Dialogue should be explored, as well as the biologic properties.

Greaves: Agreed. Same concerns here. They’ve both asked, so I want to help but not directly oppose either one. Here’s how I see that going. With the universal translator working better, and Berglijð willing to cooperate, I want our focus to be on synthesizing sap for the Suclese. Even better if we can cure their disease. Peri, I want you to take point on that research.

That made sense to Lia, both the approach and having Katsim as chief of science lead up the research. Actually, what surprised her most was how clearly Greaves had spoken of the Suclese (the cooperative Suclese), given how much trouble they'd had just a short time before.

Katsim: Yes sir.

Greaves: Take Doctor Toz and Brodie with you and invite Berglijð to our labs. If we can give them a viable alternative to killing the Eesse maybe their other faction will stand down.

Katsim: Yes sir.

Lia glanced back at Toz, who so far hadn't spoken, but Greaves drew her attention back when he spoke to her directly.

Greaves: In case that doesn’t work, Lia, I want you to take a team over to the Dome and set up a dampening field over the entire ship that’ll reveal the Suclese and their devices. I won’t fight the battle for them, but the least we can do is give the Eesse the chance to defend themselves.

Rouiancet: Absolutely.

Since the 'Oumuamua bridge crew had forcibly decloaked (or was that de-phased? or both?) the Suclese ship once already, Lia was certain that she could help the Eesse do so again.

However, she also remembered the extreme fear and subsequent rage the non-cooperative Suclese had shown, and hesitated slightly.

Rouiancet: And if the Suclese attack?

Greaves: I hope it doesn’t come to that, but just in case Petty Officer Krik and Lieutenant Basilia would be smart to take.

Rouiancet: Very well. I'm sure they'll be up to the task.

She was sure they would be, too. Basilia was a known quantity, a woman who Lia had spent time with during leave, and whose competence as a security officer she knew well through reports. Lia knew less about Krik, but she would certainly take Greaves' recommendation to have the enlisted Xindi-Insectoid watching her back.

Greaves moved along a moment later, highlighting data for the gathered officers.

Greaves: By now, you’ve probably all seen the probe data that’s come back from the signal location the Dome is heading to. There’s one incongruity that I can’t get over. The population distribution suggests an agrarian or low-tech society, but the signal itself is advanced. I want to get eyes on to investigate what’s going on down there before the Eesse possibly land amongst a developing civilization.

Corelli: That makes sense, it could be a recent colonization effort while the signal device is far older. Are we going to take the ship in for a closer look?

Katsim: (softly) Or maybe…did a group of Eesse leave before they did?

Lia barely heard Katsim's comment, but she sent a nod her way. Not agreeing, exactly, but considering it a possible hypothesis.

Greaves: We’ll need the ‘Oumuamua’s resources close to the Dome, especially if the Suculese become violent. Kammus, we’ll go to emergency warp to beat the Eesse to the planet. Once there I plan to drop you off with a shuttle so the ‘Oumumua can return to its escort position. Once you’re in place and we’re back to the Dome, the other teams can start working on their tasks.

Corelli: Aye, Major, warp 12 will be no problem for at least 12 hours. That should get you there and back in no time.

Greaves: You’ll probably need Ulasso more than we do for the shuttle. Take Lieutenant Kessler with you as well. See if there’s any indication of where that signal is coming from, or even what is transmitting it. Just… keep the Prime Directive in mind when it comes to the population.

Corelli: Understood. We’ll try to keep a low profile.

Greaves: If things do come to blows with the Suclese we’ll need a way to defeat their phasic properties. The last encounter with their ship showed that our shields are ineffective. I’ll hold down the fort on the bridge and see if we can’t address that shortfall. (beat) Any questions?

Many, but none that Lia thought could be answered in the moment. Between this briefing and the reports she'd read, she knew all she needed to for the moment -- or, more accurately, all she could know.

Rouiancet: I don't think so.

Corelli: No sir. Warp speed at your command.

Greaves: Well then, let's get to it. Dismissed.

Rouiancet: Aye.

The group dispersed with a purpose, and Lia had tapped her comm badge before she fully made it out the door. With the 'Oumuamua upping its warp factor shortly, time was of the essence.

(( Transporter Room 1, Deck 7 ))

Lia arrived first, and she paced as she checked her equipment: tricorder with stored mission records, hand phaser, medkit. She hoped she wouldn't need the last, but she also wouldn't dare be caught without it.

She greeted Basilia and Krik as they came in with a terse smile.

Rouiancet: Lieutenant, Petty Officer, thank you for coming so quickly. Have you reviewed the mission reports?

She planned to give a little background either way, but it was better to know.

Basilia / Krik: Responses

Rouiancet: Yes, exactly. We'll meet with the Grand Matriarch and Grand Patriarch of the Eesse, Ecritier and Coloom, respectively. Our goal is to help them set up a dampening field that allows them to see the Suclese that have been preying upon them.

Basilia / Krik: Responses

Lia took a deep breath, stepped up on the transporter pad, waited for the others to join her, then looked to the transporter chief.

Rouiancet: Energize.

Tags! and TBC!
---
Commander Lia Rouiancet
Strategic Operations Officer
USS 'Oumuamua
V238208LV0
he/him/his (player) & she/her/hers (this character)