Ensign Herrick: Captain Hot Potato

Mark P

Jul 9, 2023, 5:27:38 PM7/9/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

(( Bridge, Deck 1, USS 'Oumuamua ))

He watched the commanding officer try to articulate what had been happening onboard the ‘Oumuamua, but to someone that had not been onboard for the full brunt of all the waves. However, she had managed to sum it up well in a concise sentence.

Katsim: We’ve been struggling with some sort of empathic dissonance.

Solari:  Response

Kel:  ::digging into his med kit::  I'd like everyone to wear one of these neurocortical monitors.  I'm going to need to understand what is causing these emotional outbursts.  Any insights so far?

Katsim: The waves come just in just under two and a half minute intervals.

Josh watched as the elevated science officer examined the device before attaching it herself. He thought about how much data they’ve already collected, without an answer in sight.

With just as much hesitation, he saw Katsim flirt trepidatiously with the centre chair. Even though he had career aspirations to end up there, he didn’t envy her at this moment.

Solari: Response

Kel:  Have we tried getting some neurostimulators on key crew?  They might be able to balance things out for people in key areas.

Katsim: Stimulators?

Herrick: oO I’m not sure I want my brain messed with more Oo

Even though Josh’s gut was against it, he had first-hand knowledge that Kel was an experienced doctor. If asked, he’d begrudgingly do it in the hopes that it would nudge them in the right direction.

Solari:  Response

Herrick watched as the doctor turned to meet the other medical officer that had been on the bridge prior to his transport in.

Kel:  I don't believe we've met.

Solari:  Response

Kel:  I'm Dr. V'Len Kel, also a member of the medical staff.  I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet you under better circumstances.  But it's good to have another mind to work with.

Katsim: And…yes.  That is…that is what you should do, doctors.

Katsim: If commodore V’Airu is unable to remain on duty.

The lieutenant pushed through her sentence.

Katsim: As a result of these…waves…how long until we find ourselves in a similar situation?

Kel/Solari: Response

One of the doctors walked up to Josh, affixing the neurocortical monitor on him. He appreciated not being left to do it himself as he wasn’t confident that he’d place it in the optimal spot. He caught a glimpse of his reflection in the bezel of a monitor.

Herrick: (deadpan) Stylish…

Solari/Kel: Response

Another wave hit, and Josh was filled with guilt. He hadn’t been able to offer anything concrete as a form of protection to the ship, the only thing he had to offer was in the hands of the engineers 10 decks below him. As the Cardassian-Bajoran hybrid sat in the chair, an order came the young engineer’s way.

Katsim: Ensign how…how long until you can attempt that burst?

Herrick: I’ll check, one moment sir.

Herrick glanced at the engineering display, feeding up information about the warp core. It was close, only 100,000 kelvins left and they’d be able to deploy.

Herrick: It looks like they’re almost ready to release it. Just as a reminder, I’m not sure what effect this will have, and if it will be beneficial or negative to us or the life form.

Peri’s fist pressed against her chest as her heart which had leapt into her mouth attempted to find its proper place once more.

Katsim: Doctors, we need some way to either negate or lessen these effects.

Kel/Solari: Response

Herrick saw Katsim nod towards him as she gave the order.

Katsim: All right, then please, do it.

Herrick: =/\= Herrick to Engineering, we’ve got orders to deploy the burst. Release it at your discretion. =/\=

Kel/Solari: Response

This was it, the moment of truth. It seemed like everyone had collectively held their breath, save the dragonette that rested on their commander’s shoulder. All eyes had turned to the view screen, looking for some indication that it had been successful.

But, there was nothing. No change. Herrick’s heart sank. At least there was no immediate indication that the ship was any worse off as a result.

Kel/Solari: Response

Katsim: Then…I suppose…we have something of an answer.  But if it’s not alive, then what is causing this emotional impact? Do we have any further information from the probes that were sent out?

There was a slight pause, just a fraction of a second, before the lieutenant continued by prioritizing what her team needed to focus on.

Katsim: Our biggest threat is…is…what this will do to us.  We should focus on finding a way to negate the effects first and foremost. Is there some way to use our technology to shield us from telepathy?

It felt like a purely technical solution may not be in the cards for the bridge crew, given that their attempts so far had been unsuccessful.

Herrick: Was there anything abnormal from the neurocortical monitors? I was wearing mine during the last ‘wave’ that hit.

Kel/Solari: Response

As the team continued to analyze from all angles, the Commodore’s voice chirped out of the current CO’s combage.

V'Airu=/\= V'Airu to Katsim. I believe-- =/\=

It was becoming commonplace for folks to trail off mid-sentence as they bore through the effects that this nebula was having on them. Still, concern had etched on his face at the sound of her voice and the sound of the comm closing.

Kel/Solari/Katsim: Response

Josh continued to sift through logs, looking any inspiration that would come from anything remotely similar any other Federation vessel had encountered. A few minutes later, V’Airu’s voice came across the comm again.

V'Airu: =/\= Please send someone to recertify me for active service. This shouldn't wait. =/\=

Kel/Solari: Response

Josh had mixed feelings about this latest development; the commodore had quickly recused herself and now was looking to come back to active duty. On one hand, he would be glad to have more hands involved in solving this crisis.

On the other hand, if V’Airu had to excuse herself again from her duties, it would cause concern about the command team and, he suspected, make it more challenging for Katsim. His gaze fell on her as she responded.

Katsim: =/\= Response =/\=

Kel/Solari/Katsim: Response

---

Ensign Josh Herrick