Captain Michele Winters - I have the WHAT

can...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2023, 2:29:09 PM10/24/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

((Bridge, Deck 1, USS 'Oumuamua))

The class 3 probe was more a surveillance probe rather than a heavy lifting science probe. Michele was certain that is the science officer had been on the bridge they would have argued back that a science probe would provide better science readings. From her seat though Michele was not thinking solely of science data. The class 3 probe was designed to be virtually undetectable and therefore if this was not a natural occurring phenomenon then a Tactical approach seemed more the right course of action. Or at least that was the direction her mind went.

Winters: Well Lieutenant, if you are banking on natural then I need to bank on the unnatural. Keep both options under scrutinization until one is proven correct.

That was totally the Marine in her talking at that point and Michele realized it just as it came out.

Sherlock: Better safe than sorry.

Winters: Agreed.

Looking down to her console her fingers danced across the interface inputting variant changes and then she pulled up a side by side comparison of the planetary scans versus the orbital scans. As she did the two Ensigns seemed to be figuring out more of what her and Lieutenant Sherlock was getting at as they started to make changes based on the Lieutenants directions.

Winters: Nilsen, might I suggest narrowing your scans and trying a more detailed sweep of the upper EM fields as well.

Nilsen: On it.

Sherlock: Also, try and keep a transporter lock on both teams, just in...

Arlill: =/\= Arlill to Oumuamua, can you direct a structural integrity field at the device mounted on the Nichols? =/\=

Nilsen: =/\= Nilsen here, on it. =/\=

Nilsen jumped to action without waiting for orders from the command team and Sherlock watched him as did Michele. For the first time since he arrived on the bridge, the initiative showed a little promise. Assuming he didn’t try to reconfigure the engineering console to get the task done.

Sherlock: ::whispering towards Winters, but just loud enough Nilsen might hear:: At least he got that right.

Winters: ::suppressing a chuckle and trying to keep her composure::

Arlill: =/\= Thank you, Arlill out =/\=

The scans that were visible on the viewscreen showed some sort of power build-up near the first officers team and Michele looked down to her own scans to see what was going on.

Sherlock: What's happening there?

Winters: Response

Nilsen: =/\= Bridge to away team one, we detected a massive power buildup. Ya need assistance? What was that? =/\=

Etan: =/\= To be confirmed Ensign. =/\=

Sherlock: Get them back, now, Mister Nilsen.

Winters: Looks like something from their end is either blocking or interfering with communications.

Kovacs: Should we... should we...

Michele glanced up from her console to the engineering station and to Mister Kovacs. She was unaware the man had a speech impediment. Sherlock was the first to speak up and asked the question sitting on Michele’s tongue as well.

Sherlock: Should ::beat:: what?

Winters: ::when no response came:: Mister Kovacs, slow down and relax. Calm heads prevail in these situations.

Nilsen: Response

Kovacs: Sorry, I mean, should we check in on the other away team and confirm if they’re also impacted by this comm glitch? It seemed unrelated to their device malfunction.

Sherlock: So far their scans look ok. I think they're fine, and we haven't seen anything to the contrary.

Winters: ::looking back to Sherlock and then back to Kovacs, but remaining silent::

Nilsen: Response

Kovacs: That’s uh... a good point. We can have the team here confirm that it’s not the ship that’s the problem, and the other away team?

As Kovacs was responding Michele started to step away from Tactical and over to the engineering station. As she did the turbolift doors hissed open and she nodded as Doctor Toz stepped out of the turbolift. Stepping up and behind Kovacs Michele leaned in slightly and then turned to look at Nilsen as well.

Winters: Nilsen, any atmospheric disturbances that would account for communications los? ::looking to Kovacs:: Ensign, double check the transceiver for any anomalies and then run a level 4 diagnostics on the communications array.

Nilsen: Response

Toz: Uh, Lieutenant? I was wondering if anyone else had a vision of someone that shouldn’t be on the ship.

Michele looked back over her shoulder to the Doctor as the woman asked the question. Standing upright Michele turned her body to look at the human/Klingon hybrid and then to Sherlock. The Lieutenants face seemed to reflect the odd shocked expression Michele felt dancing across her own forehead.

Sherlock: Not that I'm aware of. Are you ::beat:: Ok? ::beat:: Doctor.

Toz: I seem to have seen a woman dressed in a golden cloak. ::pause:: It might have been just my imagination, ma’am.

Sherlock: Don't rule anything out. Do you...

Nilsen/Kovacs: response

Michele’s head felt like it was on a swivel as she turned yet again to look at the officer providing the incoming report. She immediately stepped back past the doctor and to the Tactical station and started keying in commands as fast as she could.

Sherlock: What do you mean we lost team two?

Winters: ::looking up from tactical:: confirmed, communications with both teams have been lost. Cause unknown.

Nilsen/Kovacs: response

Sherlock: Focus sensors on their last known location. They were just outside that structure, and they can't have just vanished.

Nilsen/Kovacs: response

Sherlock: Doctor, join me in the ready room. Captain, you have the conn. ::pointing to the viewscreen:: Find our team. I want answers and suggestions when I get back, everyone.

Michele’s fingers continued to dance across tactical as she also tried using the tactical array to pinpoint the away teams. Sherlock’s orders causually flowed into Michele’s ears as she processed the scans and then the realization of what Sherlock had just said hit her. Looking up from tactical Michele locked eyes with Sherlock and knew the surprised look must have caught the Lieutenant’s attention but she was turning her own attention to the Doctor. oO I have the what? Conn? Oo Immediately, Michele realized that she had eyes on her and stood to a full stand. Despite nerves about being on the bridge as Tactical officer for the first time, now she was being handed the command of the ship just after learning they had lost contact with both away teams.

Winters: Aye sir, ::beat:: we’ll find them.

Nilsen/Kovacs/Toz: response

Sherlock gestured towards the Captain's ready room and followed the Doctor in as Michele moved from the tactical station, down and around the horseshoe shaped command center and to the Captains chair. oO Jack, what did you do the first time? Oo She asked the question to herself a second time and then finding the answer turned and looked towards Engineering.

Winters: Mister Kovacs. Anything on the diagnostics?

Nilsen/Kovacs: response

Of course the ship was working fine. It would have been too easy to have a faulty relay that needed replacing. That meant the issue was external. Now the question was, natural or un-natural issue?

Winters: Mister Nilsen, if the ship isn’t broken then do you have an idea of what’s going on?

Nilsen/Kovacs: response

That was not helping the situation nor did it give any direction for the team to go on. Michele reached out to start keying in commands and realized that tactical was not in front of her but yet behind her on the upper level of the bridge. oO Oh you have got to be kidding me. Nope, not going to stand here just asking questions. Oo

Michele turned and started back up the horseshoe ramp and back to her station. Standing behind tactical gave her the same view as standing in front of the Captains chair but it also gave her the ships offensive and defensive systems at her finger tips. oO Ok, lets see what we can see. Oo

The thought was gone as quickly as it had happened. Tactical alarms started sounding off and alerts started ringing out from Operations. The ships automated systems kicked the ‘Oumuamua into RED ALERT and the bridge was suddenly bathed in a deep crimson light.

Winters: Who the hell is firing at us? ::tapping her combage:: =/\= Sherlock to the bridge. =/\=

Nilsen/Kovacs: response

Tags! and TBC!

Captain Michele Winters

Acting Chief Tactical Officer/