Ensign Herrick: Safe, for Now

Mark P

Sep 6, 2023, 8:29:25 PM9/6/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

OOC: No new tags as closing out this scene and transitioning to shore leave :)

((Cargo Bay 2 - USS Nautilus-A))

As the confounded away team tried to work out exactly what was happening on the Nautilus, the most senior engineer of the team seemed able to stitch together a hypothesis based on his past semi-related experiences and working knowledge

Corelli: Well, If that is building up to some sort of energy release, that could be good. But weird tachyons, interdimensional creatures, are usually not part of that plan, that's badIf they want to help, that's goodThey continue to build energy which means they are unable or unwilling to stop, that's badIf we destroy that ship first, then we prevent the greater damage to the system, and us...

Josh had not done well on any academy courseware that dealt with multiple dimensions. He had enough time contemplating his own existence let allow an almost infinite amount of Herricks that were all sorts of flavours, good, bad, boring and everything in between. He nodded, hoping that he wasn’t going to get called on for opinions in this area.

Perez: Responses

Kel: (turning to Corelli) I have a bad feeling about this. Do you have any idea what’s going on?

Nijal: Can you at least explain (gesturing at the holo-tank) this, Chief?

Flint: ::nudging Perez:: We’re not about to blow up are we?

Herrick: oO Please say no, I’ve had enough explosions for my career. Oo

Corelli: ::shrugging:: No? I have no idea what they are trying to do. It sounds like they are trying to start a cascade reaction within subspace? Those weird Tachyons make up the foundation of subspace? That's really outside my understanding, but Its sort of literally what our warp engines push against to propel the shipI suspect the Nautilus crew has a far more in depth understanding.

A bell rang in Josh’s head while the Chief’s arms hung in the air, Kardashev tachyons. They were briefly touched on in his Subspace Mechanics course. While he hadn’t done terribly in that course, it was clear that he hadn’t done well as he’d failed to put the pieces together.

Perez: Responses

Nijal: We could help, if you point us in the right direction.

Flint: ::looking at Nijal:: Sure, lets help. Might as well pretend I understand what’s going on here.

Corelli: I think they are just monitoring.

Perez: Responses

Grey: Positive buildup in the tertiary bandwidthGet that -

She trailed off, speaking with other scientists in the room.

Baker: Looks like its now'er never!

The cargobay glowed so brilliantly that Josh instinctively reached up and covered his eyes. And then, nothing.

Just as bright as it shined for a brief moment, it was all goneThe cargo bay returned to a blank canvas. The holo emitters along the corners of the walls were a new edition, but the big empty room sat once again silent.

Kel: Anybody want to fill me in on what just happened?

Nijal: And are we out of danger?

Flint: ::looking around the room:: I have no idea but we’re still here for the moment.

Corelli: Hmm... Protonic reversal?

He only half understood what was happening, which was probably much more than the others.

Herrick: (with suspect confidence) Protonic reversal... yes ::nodding::

Perez: Responses

Doctor Grey came back over to their small group, still huddled in the center of the room.

Grey: Quite a show, don't you findI'll be on the Bridge coordinating the scientific recovery with ongoing rescue operationsRadiation should be completely gone at this pointTa for now!

Baker: ::Laughing:: Well I tell you what's the truth; I thought fer sure that radiation'uz a-gonna come a-poundin' in like tarin' hell of'tha cross, but 'hit just fizzled.

She shrugged, smiling like nothing else in the universe was wrong.

Kel: Well done! (taking off his helmet) My environmental readings have stabilized as well.

Flint: So we are safe?

Corelli: Are we ever? This is starfleet.

Herrick: For the next minute at least!

Perez: Responses

Kel: Any chance of getting back to the 'Oumuamua?

Nijal: (eyeing the tank) Maybe after just one more explanation?

Flint: ::looking to Nijal:: Full of questions aren’t we? ::throwing a wink to the Cardassian::

Baker: See, that ship yonder was rechin' deep inta subspace, where them Kardashiave particles live. Like reachin' into a hen houseWell, they wuz scoopin them particles up like sand at the beach, packin'em in real tight like when Granny use to make'er mash? Right'for she'd run off a batch; course she always did like the sauce, that's how she got in trouble with the church that one time...   Anyhow, there must'a been sump'in gone sigoggally with all the calculations thet were a-doin with our quantum resonance frequencies, and the fold collapsed pullin' all them creatures, and dark magic back into subspaceKinda like that time I come stompin through the kitchen and made the cake fell, mama sure whipped me good that day.

This sealed it for Josh; he understood the 10 or 15 words and then his eyes glazed over. When he got back to the ship, he was going to have to research this area more. He reflected on that old adage of: fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. Perhaps comparing things to cakes would make it easier to understand.

Corelli: Uhhhhhhhh, yeah! Sure! That's it.

Perez: Responses

Baker: Oh, I knew you'd understand ChiefAnyhow, Reckon' you'ens'll wonna be gettin' backHold'je britches, we'll get'cha transported.

And then they were back. Josh looked around, with most of the away team accounted for; he’d make a point to check in on how Richards was doing but for now, a long... LONG... hot shower was waiting for him and he’d lay his weary body down to recover from the events of his first ‘real’ mission aboard the ‘Oumuamua.

[End Scene for Herrick]

---

Ensign Josh Herrick

Engineering Officer