Ensign Herrick & Wayfinder Boggarsh & Miner Klinex: Something Wicked This Way Comes

Mark P

Aug 15, 2023, 10:59:42 PM8/15/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

((Primary Mine Tunnel, Central Tholus - Esh-o Colony))

There were times that you thanked the gods for universal translators, and there were times when even they couldn’t ‘universally’ translate everything.

Boggarsh: Run? ::his bulging eyes blinking:: What is… run?

Corelli: Yes Josh, what is run?

Josh was caught a bit off guard by the chief using his name; perhaps it was a signal that he was starting to move from ultimate greenie to a more trusted member of the ‘Oumuamua family.  This was compounded by the fact that he had to explain the concept of running to an alien species.

Herrick: Err.. ummm. Like move faster through these tunnels. We’re going to need to pick up speed if we want to leave time for contingencies.

Boggarsh: Oh, probably a bit faster than how we’re travelling now. Typically we use one of these mine cars if we are going a long distance.

Kel:  How many did you say were with us?

Boggarsh: We are 8, plus the 3 miners who are now heading back to the surface.

Kel:  How many did you say were with us?

Boggarsh: We are 8, plus the 3 miners who are now heading back to the surface.

Corelli: ::Nodding as he counted off:: One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six..... Where are seven and eight?

Boggarsh paused; he had been focused on leading the group here, he hadn’t been keeping track of his ‘recruits’ for this mission. He felt a deep pang of regret and guilt, but he also wondered why none of the others had been keeping tabs on each other. He hoped Pharlisnex and Swarlish were alright — he wouldn’t know how he’d react if anything had fallen on them.

Kel: ::looking around nervously::  Either we have a straggler or something is following us.

Corelli: Mister Boggarsh, any more of them mystery stories of people disappearing?

Boggarsh: Most of the time, this is usually what happens — they are never seen again. In rare circumstances, they are heavily injured and another miner comes across them in time to save them. It’s the closest it’s happened to the primary control tunnels, usually it’s on the outer edge.

He paused for a moment, reflecting on their last dangerous encounter just a short while ago. The anger was evident in his voice, seeking to assign blame to something.

Boggarsh: Is it that flying beast you should have killed? If it is… Can you tell what they are? Esh-o? Zet?

Kel:  Not at the moment.

Corelli: I thought you said the Zet were paid for protection?

Boggarsh: They are, but maybe there's a higher bidder. I know a few corporations that would like to get their hands on our dilithium. Rumors are that the First Circle keeps turning down offers to buy the colony since we’re already established on the surface.

Herrick: That seems unethical to take on a conflict of interest but it’s a sound opinion.

V’Len looked down at the tricorder, and to Josh, it seemed like he had seen a reading he wasn’t expecting but perhaps he was trying to investigate who was behind them.

Boggarsh: How far are they?

Corelli: Wait, didn't I just count six?  Tricorders.  Full scan.

Klinex (the last miner): This is it, I’m not staying here. We’ve already lost a quarter of the team and we haven’t even set the last charge.

Boggarsh held up his appendage.

Boggarsh: Klinex, just take a moment. We are already in the tunnels and close to setting the charge, we just need to be brave enough to see this through. He and Klinex were not security personnel, he’s like that to the blue and pink skins to deal with.

V'Len raised his tricorder to see what could be found.  He could see their host was highly agitated.  Boggarsh looked around to the group that had brought him into this mess; first at Kel, then Richards and finally at Kammus.

Herrick: Should we try to hide or at least gather around the Esh-o?

Corelli: V'Len, that creature of yours still asleep?

Kel: ::raising his tricorder::  This is probably a bad time to mention it, but I think my patient has checked himself out of my care.  I think I'm being sent false data.

V'Len tried to relay the information quietly so as not to upset the Esh-O, but he doubted the situation would stay quite long.

Klinex: ::raising all his upper extremities in the air:: This is a sign from Aphris… it is not the right plan. We need to figure something else out.

Boggarsh had tried to calm down the miner but evidently it wasn’t working, so he would need to push him through his fear.

Boggarsh: Look, we have no choice. We’re already here.. they are already there, it’s not like we can just run back home — we are going to have to face this. I’d rather you with us and focused, then paralyzed in fear. Can you do that?

Klinex returned a small affirmatory gesture back. He wasn’t brimming with confidence, but it would be enough to steel him through this interaction.

Josh was a bit shocked at the interaction, it seemed like a bit of an abrupt change in leadership styles but it was effective. Each of them were leading a small component of the mission in their own way — The chief in action planning, V’Len in monitoring and reconnaissance, and Boggarsh with getting more hands (and appendages involved). He wondered what role he was playing or would play when he looked back at today.

The younger engineer looked at the mine cars and they looked in poor shape; he was surprised an Esh-o would even attempt to get in and ride it somewhere — obviously the priority here was extraction and not worker safety. Perhaps some of these ‘disappearances’ were part of equipment malfunction and not directly related. The tech seemed ancient compared to the anti-grav lifts and mag lift rails he was familiar with, but what mattered was if they would get the job done.

Corelli: Right, I’ve got a plan. Put the charges in this cart, I’ll go set them, it’s the fastest way to get there.

Kel:  In that!  ::gesturing at the cart::  It looks like it predates the Federation.

Herrick: How old are these carts?

Klinex: (proudly) We’ve been keeping these ones online since the start of the colony; why throw away something that works?

Herrick: It looks sickbay inducing… Chief, are you sure you want to use it?

Richards: Response

Corelli: No, we can wait around to get absconded by nefarious dark wizards, or we can pop the cork on this brandy bottle and get out.

Kel:  Fine.  ::walking over to the cart.::  I'll go with you.  If you get injured I won't have to make a special house call.

Richards: Response

Corelli: How big are these charges anyway?

Boggarsh: The standard size.

Herrick couldn’t help but think how unhelpful that comment was for them, but how normal it probably sounded for those that worked in the mines.

V'Len tucked his med kit into the corner of the "cart".  Then turned to see the charges.

Kel: Whoa.

Richards: Response

The silver metal that made up the charges looked like it was light weight, but when Corelli picked one up it was clear this was not the case. Corelli looked at the group and the Esh-O workers quickly deduced that they should load the charges.

Klinex picked up one of the charges, it appeared to be quite lightweight for him and he had no difficulty handling it. He handed it over to Boggarsh who passed it to Corelli. It was strange to see them sink in the bald ones hands when he released their grip; obviously the Esh-O had superior strength to these aliens.

As Boggarsh passed the final charge, it seemed like Corelli’s hands fell a bit too far. He couldn’t tell if they connected with the mine below or if he was fine; their facial expressions were unfamiliar but it appeared he might be alright as he looked towards the doctor and invited him onboard.

Corelli: Are you coming?

Herrick: Is all that weight going to impact your momentum?

Josh was looking for an out; between 2 Esh-o, 2 officers, and 10 charges, it was going to be a bit of a squeeze in the small car. While they had enough room; it reminded him of the lift they rode down… he might not last the entire trip.

Richards: Response

Corelli: Oh! We can make this thing go way faster.  That’s probably a terrible idea.  Ready?  So what was the plan? Place 5 charges in each of the two tunnels 100 meters apart for a cascade break of the nature fissure?   V’Len, Josh, you would let us know if that little dot matches our speed, right?

Kel:  Sure, but is the additional speed really necessary?

Richards: Response

Corelli: Whoever is coming, lets go! Keep all hands and arms inside the ride at all times: Execute!

Boggarsh: Better with you than getting disappeared. ::he climbed in, the left side of his body butted up against the gold-trimmed lieutenant::

Klinex got in next, butted against the other lieutenant, and left a sliver of room for the young ensign. He took a few breaths and sandwiched himself in the middle. With folks on one side, and mines on the other, the cart seemed balanced enough and Corelli pressed the go button.

At first it was pretty standard, but suddenly the craft was pitching downward and gravity seemed to lose some effect while the rode the rails. Josh looked at the other folks at the cart. The other officers seemed to reflect his feeling of hoping they would make it while the Esh-o seemed to have an air of enjoyment — perhaps this was a typical ride for them.

Richards: Response

Kel:  Such fun.

Klinex: It is, isn’t it? This is why I work in the outer reaches; so I can get this feeling twice a day. If you like, once this is all over, we can take the longest one that crosses the entire asteroid.

Kel/Richards/Corelli: Response

Herrick: I’m just glad I’ve only had the coffee since we left the ship.

The falling sensation stopped abruptly as the cart swooped up and nearly the entire contents shifted toward the back sandwiching V'Len between two of the large charges.

Kel:  Those signals that were following us shifted course, it looks like they're trying to avoid the workers.  They're in another tunnel.  One that will join this one in short order.

The Esh-o’s air of enjoyment faded at the doctor’s news, reality setting in quickly. They would soon be face to face with their pursuers. It was coming down to this.

Richards: Response

The cart decelerated suddenly and V'Len once again shifted forward until he was shoved next to Ensign Herrick.  Between the moving bodies, the doctor had somehow squished between him and the Esh-o and Josh started trying to control his breathing. In the dimly lit cavern, he could only tell it was Kel from his voice, and saw the reflection of light in his teeth; he was smiling.

Kel:  ::smiling::  Ensign.

Herrick: ::nodding, trying to mirror the smile:: Hey, doc.

Corelli / Richards: Response

The lights from the cart dimly illuminated what seemed to be a small chamber.  The group clambered out of the cart and V'Len turned his attention back to his tricorder.

Kel:  Do whatever you need to do quickly.  Those things are in this tunnel, it looks like back where we started going uphill.  I'd say we have 4 or 5 minutes tops.  We should get going by then.

Boggarsh and Klinex started removing the charges and placing them near where Corelli was standing. Attached to the top of each charge were wires that enabled them to interconnect. Then, they stepped back, as if to say that it was Starfleet’s time to take over.

Herrick: ::bending over the charges:: These charges look like they are set to a short time delay —  it looks like 60 seconds. How do you activate them remotely?

Boggarsh: Normally we are just trying to clear stubborn rock; we haven’t needed a remote activator in ages. I think only Frolotdesh has access to them.

Kel/Corelli/Richards: Response

Herrick: Chief, I think we could use our communicators to act as remote triggers. They’re linked locally down here anyway and I’m pretty sure we’d still be in range when we get to a safety zone. What do you think?

Kel/Corelli/Richards: Response

Boggarsh: Do you hear that?

Josh shook his head, but realized the team probably couldn’t see him that well.

Herrick: What?

Kel/Corelli/Richards: Response

Then, ever so faintly, the unmistakable screech of the beast interrupted the short silence. It was still some distance away but there was no mistake that it was heading in their direction.

Herrick: (some hesitation) It’s going to take a minute or 2 to attach the fuse and set it up so it doesn’t go off accidentally.

Kel/Corelli/Richards: Response

Tags/TBC

---

Ensign Josh Herrick