LTJG Josh Herrick: And, the others?

Mark P

Dec 18, 2023, 9:41:08 AM12/18/23
to sb118-o...@googlegroups.com

(( Null-Time Sphere, Ancient Outpost - Interior, Alpha Brenkelvi II ))

As the crew explored options to return to the ship, Na’Shaala had again presented the concept of ascending. The briefest flicker of consideration flashed across the commander’s and marine’s eyes before they shook their heads and respectfully declined the offer. As they considered avenues, Josh tried to get a question to something unanswered from earlier.

Herrick: ::looking to Na’Shaala:: What is the right question?

She had seemed aware of this event because she had assured Arlill that he wouldn’t be taken over again as he worked on restoring communications. But he never got an answer to the question about the question. However, from what he read in the academy, this seemed to be a common trait with ethereal beings — who was he to turn the tide?

Na’Shaala: (lightly amused) That’s another answer for another time.

While Josh had been somewhat frustrated with the non-answer, he saw a light smile forming on Maxwell’s face. The pair of them had begun forming a rapport of sorts.

Maxwell: Another time for us, or our people? Our lives are very short in the grand scheme ae things.

Arlill: We exist in the here and now, can you help us to continue that existence?

Etan: Our crew are very important to us. :: he said, stepping closer to Na’Shaala. :: I don’t know if the Manraloth has a notion of family, but the crew aboard the ‘Oumuamua are that to us. We have been through so much together and we don’t want anything to happen to them. If there is any way that we can help them then we have to take it. :: beat :: Na’Shaala, I understand that you are curious about us- and truth be told we are… incredibly curious about you and your people- but right now, we have to help save those we hold close to us. :: beat :: Is there anything you can do to help us?

Maxwell: (with noticeably more Scottish brogue) Anything at all, lass. Even just putting us back ontae the surface?

Arlill: Response.

There was a lull in the conversation; the silence almost deafening as Na’Shaala considered the request. Blinking their eyes and shifting their head side to side, but it was impossible to tell what they were thinking. Yes, No, Maybe So? Then a gentle wave of understanding washed over him. There were parallels to the Esh-o encounter that were uncanny, but Josh parked that thought for now.

Na’Shaala: Returning to this plane and taking corporeal form drains us, which is why my people do it so infrequently. We do not have the power to send you to the moon or back to your ship, although…

Na’Shaala trailed off, but Arturo prodded to keep going.

Maxwell: Although....?

Arlill: Response.

Na’Shaala: It might be possible to return you to the surface.

Herrick: oO Might doesn’t sound promising. Oo

Josh had doubts about staying on the planet for another day; but judging from Na’Shaala’s tone, it seemed they were doubtful about the ability to bring them up through the crust. The commander was a bit more optimistic.

Etan: You might be able to? :: he said, encouraging her to respond. ::

Na’Shaala: Yes. One moment, please. I am…. communing with my sister-dwellers who reside with me in our plane.

The only signs that there was communication ongoing was Na’Shaala’s eyes darting back and forth; it was similar to when he saw Betazoids communicate. They seemed to move faster and faster; perhaps a debated exchange was taking place.

Na’Shaala: Oh…

The eyes that had been focused elsewhere now came to bear on the away team; filled with sorrow and a sad inflection in her voice. The way the dim light caught their eyes, it looked like they were welling with tears.

Na’Shaala: I… can transport you to the surface, but it will require so much power that I… I will not be able to ascend back to our plane of being. I will… be forced to remain in this dimension.

Etan: We cannot ask you to do that. :: beat :: We will find an alternative way back to the surface. Toxin, access the outpost’s databanks and see if you can find us a route back.

Maxwell: There's no a chance we'd ask you tae do that. We'll find another way.

Arlill : Response.

Na’Shaala: You do not have to ask, Commander. I have already decided for myself and my Sister-Dwellers have agreed. They… wish me luck. Now…

Max took another – full – step towards her, holding up a hand to stall her.

Maxwell: Na'Shaala, no we ca-

Josh at the same time spoke up, the thought of someone compromising themselves to help them was distasteful to the engineer. They’d made it through the puzzles coming in, maybe they’d make their way back.

Herrick: ::looking to Na’Shaala:: Sto-

(( Surface - Alpha Brenkelvi II ))

But, before either of them could finish, they were transported upward.

Maxwell: -n't ask....

Herrick: p…

It took a moment to acclimate to the blinding light that bore down on them. Josh squeezed his eyes shut for a second and slowly opened his eyes; using his hands to block out some of the light. With everything that happened down below, it was hard to get a good sense of time with the surges of adrenaline he’d experienced. Had it been a few hours or a day with everything that happened?

As his eyes opened further, he saw the familiar dense treeline and as he scanned his gaze to the right, across the lake was a clearing and the Nichols waiting for them. Then he looked back to Na’Shaala.

Na’Shaala: It is done.

Maxwell: We could have found another way.....

Josh knew the marine was being polite, or at least empathetic. But, spending energy on visiting choices already made wouldn't get them home faster. Instead, they'd need to move forward with the latest development. He expressed gratitude for what she gave up for them.

Herrick: ::bowing his head for his moment:: Na’Shaala… thank you.

Arlill / Na'Shaala / Etan / Maxwell: Response.

The team had contacted the ‘Oumuamua, but they’d not spoken with the alternate away team for quite some time. When they last exchanged words, all each team had to go on was some ancient Bajoran writing to go on — now, as he looked at Na’Shaala, he wondered what the other team had learned.

Herrick: Should we try to raise Lieutenant Commander Katsim?

Arlill / Na'Shaala / Etan / Maxwell: Response.

As the officer tapped their combadge and called out for the away team leader, nothing came back. The combadge had made the successful chirp of interlinking with the shuttle’s comm system, so it didn’t seem to be a tech issue, but there was no contact on the other side.

Herrick: ::looking at Na’Shaala, then the away team:: What do you make of it?

Arlill / Na'Shaala / Etan / Maxwell: Response.

---

Lieutenant JG Josh Herrick

Acting Chief Engineer

USS ‘Oumuamua